Thread: help! mobo has 'selective' posting!

Registered+
    Thanks

help! mobo has 'selective' posting!

Hi, ive had my system up and running for about 2 years or so with no problems at all, now all of a sudden my computer only posts about 1 attempt in 30! The strange thing tho is when it does post, i can use it for days on end gaming, multimedia etc without any probs, plus it posts when its been on and ive reset it. Ive tried taking memory out, inc different combinations, ive tried different PSU, hard drives and so on, my CPU is running at 50 deg C so thats ok, interestingly tho, if i take the CPU out completely, then put it back in again, 9/10 times it will post on 1st powerup, however switch it off and im back to 1 in 30! I dont think its my GFX as it works fine when it is actually on, the only thing left really is the CPU is on its way out or the mobo has had it?! Could sum1 please help as obviuosly i dont wanna go out and spend money on a mobo only to find its the CPU etc, plus its driving me slowly insane!

Relevant specs are;-

Gigabyte GA-81915P Duo Pro
    1 GB Generic DDR400
    256MB ATI X800XT
    P4 3.2Ghz

Thanks!

Thanks
    I had an athlon XP (2100 or 2400 I forget) based system that had a similar thing by the sounds of it. It would get stuck during the POST practically every time it was booted after a long period of being off. Hitting reset almost always produced a successful boot - does that work for you?

It just seemed to start happening without any good reason, although the PC has been working like that for over a year now (friend has it these days) and is showing no other signs of trouble. Happened with both nvidia and ATI cards, and with a different PSU. I think it is/was RAM related (512Mb DDR generic IIRC) ...it was an nForce2 based board branded by Sparkle though I think it was a rebadged chaintech something-or-other. All I could think was RAM/Mobo though possibly something to do with the PSU (standby power perhaps) or the BIOS battery?

That probably didn't help you much ... sorry and good luck! Think of it as an excuse to upgrade to a spangly new 64-bit dual-core cpu solution

Registered+
    Thanks
    heh, cheers pal, reset doesnt work, im beginning to think its the mobo, i hope! lol! would upgrade but a distinct lack of funds finds me trying everything short of getting the hammer out!

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    What happens if you leave it on a for a few minutes before pressing the reset?

And when you say it doesn't POST, is it not POSTing at all, or does it get part way?

Registered+
    Thanks
    na, tried waiting then reseting, still no go, it doesnt POST at all, completely lifeless except for fans, etc

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    Just a possibility that you might have a loose screw or something else shorting out the motherboard. If loose it might move on occasion allowing the boot. But more likely it's a motherboard fault. Had you been inside the case recently before the problems?

Registered+
    Thanks
    not really, completley took the whole thing apart including GPU fans etc, no lose screws or nething like that, gonna get a cheap mobo and try that! Fingers crossed! lol! (these things always happen when ur skint!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by **TOLLI** View Post
    na, tried waiting then reseting, still no go, it doesnt POST at all, completely lifeless except for fans, etc
    Dunno if this is the same problem but I did have a weird issue vaguely similar to this recently...
    I was swapping my AGP card (which connects via a riser and and extension piece (HTPC case you see)) and managed to upset/confuse something on the motherboard/psu. No post, no nothing, though in my case I'd not get fans either. I used the "paperclip trick" to start my PSU, and leaving the paperclip in to make sure the PSU stayed on I was then able to hit reset and the computer would boot as per normal. If I removed the paperclip at the wrong moment the pc would shut off and I'd have to start again. To keep it going I had to boot using the paperclip, then hit reset and remove the clip at practically the same instant. Having done that the PC operates completely as normal - boots, shuts down, etc. I posted on HeXuS somewhere about it.

Of course it's a different motherboard and messing about with bits of wire and power supplies is never the wisest hobby but it did work for me. ymmv and doing this might blow something up of course! caveat lector!

at the same time as this PSU/mobo issue my AGP card was horrendously badly connected via the riser+extender setup. Now running using onboard video until I have time to play with it out of the box...
    Last edited by jamena; 19-06-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    oooooo, not tried that, call me stupid but what is the paper clip trick?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by **TOLLI** View Post
    oooooo, not tried that, call me stupid but what is the paper clip trick?
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
    first link looks like it's got the basic info. Connecting green to black should start the psu up. Do note that you are messing about with potentially dangerous stuff that could damage you and/or your equipment - I connected the green and black from the other side of the motherboard connector so that I could boot the PC which is probably even less advisable! Don't short any other pins! Caveat lector as usual!
    Last edited by jamena; 20-06-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Thread Information