Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Putting the P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP into perspective

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    20 times in 9 posts
    • Toobad's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 240GB + 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD 7750 1Gb DDR5
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 480W Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 3007WFP-HC
      • Internet:
      • BT ADSL Max

    Putting the P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP into perspective

    Tom's Hardware have just put up a 21-page P35-DDR2 eight mobo megatest on their site. The performance difference between all of them would be hard to call. Advice to P5B owners is not to upgrade but to wait for the "Eaglelake" boards coming next year and then jump to DDR3 which will be much cheaper by then and will have tighter timings.

    I'll be investing in a P5K Deluxe next month for my first ever build. Not because it is any better than the other P35 mobos out there but because here in these forums we have access to the guru-like knowledge of Clunk, Supershanks and others who are always prepared to do a bit of n00b hand-holding. In a Churchillian voice I say "Never have so many owed so much to so few".
    Apparently, "Do whatever you like" should NOT be considered authorisation to build my uber rig!

  2. Received thanks from:

    Clunk (19-06-2007)

  3. #2
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    Is paypal ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  4. #3
    Resident abit mourner BUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sunny Glasgow
    Posts
    8,067
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    181 times in 171 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post
    Tom's Hardware have just put up a 21-page P35-DDR2 eight mobo megatest on their site. The performance difference between all of them would be hard to call. Advice to P5B owners is not to upgrade but to wait for the "Eaglelake" boards coming next year and then jump to DDR3 which will be much cheaper by then and will have tighter timings.
    " The majority of users who already own P965-Express motherboards, though, are best advised to wait for Intel's next chipset before taking the DDR3 plunge."
    I read that as advising waiting for X38 Bearlake which are out ~September ...

    MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

    My HEXUS.trust abit forums

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    423
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    2 times in 2 posts
    well i didnt think most people 'upgraded' their motherboard unless there was something lacking fundamental to their needs (ie sli/xfire capability; too few sata ports - sometimes its cheaper to get a new mobo than a pcie sata raid controller) etc, or unless they were moving to a different platform, like i did (amd-->c2d).

    the gains from 965-->p35-->x38 will be minimal, but clearly if you are starting afresh on a new platform then you should get what is current (for maximal performance and compatibility).


    personally i dont think ill be going ddr3 for at least 24months after it is out - by then we should have cheapER ballistix ddr3 and thatll be it (yes im a converted crucial fanboy! but its justified!) that clocks well.

    my e6420 may be changed to q6600 but thats not a big issue, i dont think.

  6. #5
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    I can only think of a couple of reasons to upgrade to P35 from a decent 965 board, and they would be if you are a nerdy overclocker, or if you will be buying a penryn CPU, or both
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  7. #6
    Resident abit mourner BUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sunny Glasgow
    Posts
    8,067
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    181 times in 171 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5aboy View Post
    the gains from 965-->p35-->x38 will be minimal,.
    whilst I agree that unles you are an inveterate upgrader that 965>P35 is pretty much a non-event I think that 965>X38 could be more significant.
    & as there are both P35 mobos supporting DDR2 & P35 mobos supporting DDR3 (& indeed a few with both) so there will be with X38.

    MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

    My HEXUS.trust abit forums

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    107
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    20 times in 9 posts
    • Toobad's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 240GB + 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD 7750 1Gb DDR5
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 480W Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 3007WFP-HC
      • Internet:
      • BT ADSL Max
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    " The majority of users who already own P965-Express motherboards, though, are best advised to wait for Intel's next chipset before taking the DDR3 plunge."
    I read that as advising waiting for X38 Bearlake which are out ~September ...
    Tom's Hardware were referring to the Eaglelake chipset which will appear next year.
    http://www.pclaunches.com/industry_b...ch_in_2008.php
    Apparently, "Do whatever you like" should NOT be considered authorisation to build my uber rig!

  9. #8
    Resident abit mourner BUFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sunny Glasgow
    Posts
    8,067
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    181 times in 171 posts
    where does it say that?
    Intel's next chipset is X38.

    MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

    My HEXUS.trust abit forums

  10. #9
    Old Fool!
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    1,027
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked
    37 times in 31 posts
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II
    Quote Originally Posted by 5aboy View Post
    well i didnt think most people 'upgraded' their motherboard unless there was something lacking fundamental to their needs (ie sli/xfire capability; too few sata ports - sometimes its cheaper to get a new mobo than a pcie sata raid controller) etc, or unless they were moving to a different platform, like i did (amd-->c2d).

    the gains from 965-->p35-->x38 will be minimal, but clearly if you are starting afresh on a new platform then you should get what is current (for maximal performance and compatibility).
    I pretty quickly (couple of months - and I usually keep my machine for 2 or 3 years) replaced my ASUS Commando with an Abit QuadGT - and very glad I am that I did! In thoery not an upgrade, but in practice for performance reasons it was very much one!
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HEXUS.reviews :: ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi Edition
    By Tarinder in forum HEXUS Reviews
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-05-2007, 04:03 PM
  2. ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe WiFi
    By DR in forum HEXUS Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-06-2004, 04:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •