Thread: TV-OUT from a laptop which doesn't have TV yet.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

TV-OUT from a laptop which doesn't have TV yet.

My dad used to have a laptop with some kind of TV-Out feature built into it. On the side, there was those red white and yellow holes, and then he just took a lead from that to the TV and it output sound and video from the laptop onto the TV. I was great at the time because I could play games off the laptop on the TV.

Anyway, now he as a new laptop which is much more powerful, but it doesn't have any TV out capability and I want it He has USB and it has a PCMCIA slot in it. Does anyone know any kind of TV card or anything which can do TV out, but works from PCMCIA or USB?

Thanks

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/pc/pc_pcmciatv.htm

Not sure if you'll get anything for the USB option but you can get PCMCIA based tv cards, example in linke above.

TIG

Thanks
    • kungpo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T SE
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 3.90 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 6x 2GB Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x WD AAKS 640GB RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 260 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x LG L1952S
      • Internet:
      • 3MB ADSL
    Ahh...you're not after a TV tuner, but something that will let you output to TV.

I'm guessing the TV is an older type, so only likely to have S-Video, Composite or Scart? Some laptops have an S-Video out (looks a little like a PS/2 port), but a lot of newer ones don't have this functionality anymore - I think due to the wide[read use of projectors these days, as opposed to big TVs in the meeting room.

I haven't seen anything laptop specific, but I do recall the existance of a VGA to TV convertor box, which allowed you to achieve what you need to. I certainly haven't come across anything for a PCMCIA slot, or USB. I don't think any TV tuner device (USB or otherwise) has a TV out function - normally just Antenna/S-Video/Composite/Audio in.

So I haven't really helped....just rambled somewhat.

Thanks
    As above, check round the laptop for an s-video port, that'll allow you to clone your desktop onto the TV. Failing that you might want to consider a vga to SCART cable, available on eBay.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Yes I'm pretty sure the old laptop had S-Video OUT, which let us display the laptop onto the TV. But this new one doesn't have that

And yes, the TV is a couple of years old so its not HD. It has Scart, S-Video, and Composite.

Quote Originally Posted by s_kinton View Post
    As above, check round the laptop for an s-video port, that'll allow you to clone your desktop onto the TV. Failing that you might want to consider a vga to SCART cable, available on eBay.
    That VGA to SCART sounds interesting. I just searched for it on Google and it looks like it might do the job. It talks a lot about the graphics card needing to support blah blah ("use negative vsync and hsync polarities" etc...), so I'm not sure if it will work. But if I can find one of those, cheap, I'll give it a try.

Thank you all

Thanks
    Let me know if you do get it to work. Ive been looking at these to connect my HTPC to the TV, but wasn't sure whether my card was compatible.

I dont even know what to look for in order to find out if its compatible or not!

Thanks
    • kungpo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T SE
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 3.90 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 6x 2GB Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x WD AAKS 640GB RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 260 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x LG L1952S
      • Internet:
      • 3MB ADSL
    @S Kinton - A lot of modern VGA cards have a TV out, usually via a S-Video connector. Some VGA cards also have an HDTV break-out cable as well, which will give you component video, as ofter S-Video as well. if your's doesn't or is integrated, you will be able to pick up a cheap (PCIe or AGP) one that does.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Yes, I connect my proper PC to my TV really easily. Its perfect too. I use "S-Video out". The picture quality is perfect and its just great. The only slight drawback is that I seem to need to reboot the PC to activate it. But thats no big deal.

But yeah, getting this laptop to display onto a TV is another story I still haven't got around to buying one of those SCART adapters yet, but I hopefully will do eventually. I'll try to find one cheap and then I'm not risking much if it doesn't work. It sounds like there are all kinds of concerns about compatability and stuff, and I can't make any sense out of it all, so I just need to try it I suppose. I'll post back here whenever I get around to doing it.

p.s. Shame on you laptop makers! Maybe brand new laptops have all kinds of outputs for TV and HD-TV? That would be nice. If not... double shame on you! Grrr. To think my Dad's laptop from about 10 years ago had S-Video out, and yet this better, newer, more expensive laptop doesn't.. is just silly. Oh well.

Thread Information