Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 17

Thread: The extra x16 slot on the P5B deluxe

  1. #1
    Senior Member AD-15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,248
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked
    71 times in 34 posts
    • AD-15's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @4.45GHz!!!! (No HT)
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB G.Skill Trident
      • Storage:
      • 1x 160, 1x 250 (Both 16MB cache SATA2 WD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 460 1GB @ 815, 1013MHz
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX Series Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell E228WFP

    The extra x16 slot on the P5B deluxe

    hello,

    Is the extra x16 slot on this motherboard (which I believe only runs at 4x?) compatible with any other PCI express cards? Like x1 x4 etc?

    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=443853

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    The LHC rulez! DataMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    10 times in 10 posts
    You can put any size PCI-E card in a PCI-E x16 slot.

    You can put a 1x in a 4x size, etc, etc, etc.

  3. #3
    Senior Member AD-15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,248
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked
    71 times in 34 posts
    • AD-15's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @4.45GHz!!!! (No HT)
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB G.Skill Trident
      • Storage:
      • 1x 160, 1x 250 (Both 16MB cache SATA2 WD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 460 1GB @ 815, 1013MHz
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX Series Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell E228WFP
    Will there be no issues at all?

    So can I place, for example, a PCI-express x1 network card in that x16 slot, and not experience any difficulties?

    From what I understand, it is possible to install any PCI express card, in any PCI express slot, as long as it is at least the same size or larger?

  4. #4
    The LHC rulez! DataMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    10 times in 10 posts
    As long as the slot is the same size or longer it will work, no problems. But if the port is only a certain speed, say... 16x size, 4x speed, then it will run at the 4x speed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member AD-15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,248
    Thanks
    142
    Thanked
    71 times in 34 posts
    • AD-15's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @4.45GHz!!!! (No HT)
      • Memory:
      • 3x2GB G.Skill Trident
      • Storage:
      • 1x 160, 1x 250 (Both 16MB cache SATA2 WD)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 460 1GB @ 815, 1013MHz
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX Series Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Dell E228WFP
    Ok, thanks for your help dude.

  6. #6
    Senior Member this_is_gav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,842
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked
    247 times in 214 posts
    I believe it works the other way too - you can put a 8800Ultra in a 1x slot, and it will work in theory - obviously it doesn't have the electrical means to be given anywhere close to full bandwidth, but it should work in theory.

  7. #7
    The LHC rulez! DataMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    10 times in 10 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    I believe it works the other way too - you can put a 8800Ultra in a 1x slot, and it will work in theory - obviously it doesn't have the electrical means to be given anywhere close to full bandwidth, but it should work in theory.
    No it wont. The end of the slot will stop you inserting it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member this_is_gav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,842
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked
    247 times in 214 posts
    Yeah, but that can be hacked off, no problem

  9. #9
    The LHC rulez! DataMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    10 times in 10 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    Yeah, but that can be hacked off, no problem
    But then you have the problem of the card not working... They are that size for a reason, because they need all the pins.

  10. #10
    Senior Member this_is_gav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,842
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked
    247 times in 214 posts
    I'm fairly sure I've read that PCIe is theoretically backwards compatible, as well as forwards. Backwards and forwards isn't right, but you know what I mean.

    I may have simply misread this mind, but I'm sure I've read that if you hacked off the pins up to the 1x connections it will work fine, just slower.

    I might give this a go sometime if I come across an old graphics card.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    271
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • Boon72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 TOMAHAWK
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-8500 @ 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung EVO 960 256gb NVMe, 2 x Toshiba 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1060 AMP 6GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 500w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake F31 Suppressor
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama Black Hawk 27"
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Max Fibre
    its a crossfire board so you can have 2 cards running as 1. its a 2nd 16x slot, if you look at a 1x & 4x card they will fit in it as they are smaller versions.

  12. #12
    Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11,056
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked
    725 times in 459 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon72 View Post
    its a crossfire board so you can have 2 cards running as 1. its a 2nd 16x slot, if you look at a 1x & 4x card they will fit in it as they are smaller versions.
    It is a 16x slot, but it runs at 4x.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

  13. #13
    The LHC rulez! DataMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    10 times in 10 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    I'm fairly sure I've read that PCIe is theoretically backwards compatible, as well as forwards. Backwards and forwards isn't right, but you know what I mean.

    I may have simply misread this mind, but I'm sure I've read that if you hacked off the pins up to the 1x connections it will work fine, just slower.

    I might give this a go sometime if I come across an old graphics card.
    A 16x graphics card is built 16x because it needs access to all the pins for power, signals. Stop going on about it, because it doesnt work that way.

  14. #14
    Senior Member this_is_gav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,842
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked
    247 times in 214 posts
    As well as finding your attitude rather poor, you're also wrong.

    http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_C...I_Express.html - check out the pinout tables - the power only goes through the first 22 keys (11 on each side), which is common to all PCIe cards, regardless of whether it's a 1x, a 4x, a 8x or a 16x physical card.

    http://www.tkdan.com/SC420/ - check this out to see a guide of doing it in a Dell SC420.

    If you trust TomsHardware, they also did a test by blocking off pins on a 16x card, and benchies to compare losing bandwidth. You can grab that here.

    I agree it's not something you'll likely have to do, and certainly won't want to, but there's nothing at all to stop it working. The theory works in practice.

  15. #15
    The LHC rulez! DataMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    511
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    10 times in 10 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    As well as finding your attitude rather poor, you're also wrong.

    http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_C...I_Express.html - check out the pinout tables - the power only goes through the first 22 keys (11 on each side), which is common to all PCIe cards, regardless of whether it's a 1x, a 4x, a 8x or a 16x physical card.

    http://www.tkdan.com/SC420/ - check this out to see a guide of doing it in a Dell SC420.

    If you trust TomsHardware, they also did a test by blocking off pins on a 16x card, and benchies to compare losing bandwidth. You can grab that here.

    I agree it's not something you'll likely have to do, and certainly won't want to, but there's nothing at all to stop it working. The theory works in practice.
    My attitude? You're the one who was arguing with me, who the hell in their right mind would tape off some of the pins? and no YOU'RE wrong. a x16 SIZED card will not fit in a x1 SLOT (unless you hack away your motherboard, I admit I was wrong at that point).
    Last edited by DataMatrix; 27-06-2007 at 01:06 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member this_is_gav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,842
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked
    247 times in 214 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DataMatrix View Post
    My attitude? You're the one who was arguing with me, who the hell in their right mind would tape off some of the pins? and no YOU'RE wrong. a x16 SIZED card will not fit in a x1 SLOT (unless you hack away your motherboard, I admit I was wrong at that point).
    At no point did I say it would fit. I said it would work in theory. The point wasn't that you would tape your card up and stick it in a 16x slot, the point was that a 16x would work in a 1x, 4x or 8x slot - this was proof that it would, as was the other link. It obviously has uses (that Dell SC420 being a good example). You said it wouldn't work, I was correcting you.

    And all you have to do is melt or cut a tiny little piece in the PCIe bracket for the card to fit. It's hardly hacking it to bits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with Nero
    By deathsith in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-06-2007, 09:24 AM
  2. P5B Deluxe board keeps dying?
    By yan816 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 08:06 PM
  3. P5B Deluxe not finding Xifi Soundcard
    By Harkin in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 24-05-2007, 09:03 AM
  4. Asus P5B Deluxe ?
    By robg1701 in forum SCAN.care@HEXUS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 11:49 PM
  5. X1 PCI-E card in X16 slot???
    By maverick77_uk in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •