Thread: overclocking amd xp1800+ tbred

Thanks

overclocking amd xp1800+ tbred

hi im looking to overclock my 1800+ , i got 400mhz ram and a 400mhz M/B, but unsure how to do it ( i know the processor can go to 2600+ XP, as its unlocked)

please any help would be nice

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Its a fairly simple matter of going into the bios and slowly cranking up the FSB. I've not had a SOYO motherboard so I wouldn't know what menu it will be under.

The current settings will have it running at a 11.5* multipler on a 133 bus speed.
    11.5* 133 = 1533Mhz real speed.

What you will want to do is change the front side bus speed and slowly move the speed up, save the bios settings and then boot into windows and make sure it works. Don't go too fast too quick, especially if its your first time of overclocking.

i'd suggest leaving your multipler alone i.e keep it at 11.5 and slowly move the bus speed towards 200. which will then run in sync with your memory and motherboard capable speeds.

A few things to be careful of, try and make sure something called PCI/AGP lock is on.

Any other questions on BIOS ask away.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks

overclocking 1800+

Thanks for that information it will hopefully help, i will have to try it at night as missus uses ICS to access her internet through mine

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    You might want to remember that increasing the voltage (core/mem etc) will help stability and let you overclock to a higher level.

This is at the cost of increased tempratures...

Thanks
    dont go straight for the highest! - go up in 100mhz core clock, whatever fsb that is depends on the multi you chose to be the victim
    use memtest86 and prome95 to test stabilty. rememer ram/mobo rated for ddr400 wont always be stable at that. it depends on mem timings, cooling, voltage, lotsof other stuff.. you shouldnt have any probs though if youve got a nf2 rev2 board and decent ram

Thanks
    The XP 1800+ Thoroughbreds come in two flavours: A (7-layer) or B (8-layer). Mine is an A and is maxing out at 1.8 ghz (10 x 180) though I may have a little bit of tweakability left. The B's are better overclockers, apparently, and you can find out which yours is by getting the stepping from the cpu and doing a bit of research on the net. Or most likely someone here will tell you how.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thread Information