Thread: P 182Front Panel Connectors - Huh?

Thanks

Question P 182Front Panel Connectors - Huh?

Gigabyte P35 DQ6 mobo which I'm installing in an Antec P182 case. The front panel headers on the motherboard are spkr (for the non-existent plug and speaker that the P182 doesn't have ;-) ) PWR LED - Check, PWR - Check, RESET, Check, HDD Active LED , Huh? Whilst the header on the mobo makes perfect sense I have two front panel connectors on the Antec case - one marked HDD LED I and the marked, yes you guessed it HDD LED II. I'm trying to work out which to use and what the hell to do with the other one and I think my brain's fried, so if anyone has any idea on what to connect to which and where I'd be eternally grateful.

TIA,

Snapper %-)

Thanks
    You can use whichever one you want to light up when the HDD is active.... Connect it to the HDD active LED header.

Some cases (such as yours) provide two leds for two hard disks - I don't (off the top of my head) know if any mobos support this feature though.

If you are feeling clever/have some time to kill, you could wire them together in parallel and get them both to light up. On second thoughts, I'm not sure that the mobo would be able to handle the increased current draw, so that may not be such a good idea.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mike_dowler View Post
    You can use whichever one you want to light up when the HDD is active.... Connect it to the HDD active LED header.

Some cases (such as yours) provide two leds for two hard disks - I don't (off the top of my head) know if any mobos support this feature though.

If you are feeling clever/have some time to kill, you could wire them together in parallel and get them both to light up. On second thoughts, I'm not sure that the mobo would be able to handle the increased current draw, so that may not be such a good idea.

Thanks. I was considering using just the LED I. I managed to contact Antec Tech Support though and they solved the problem. The second HDD LED is if you have a second hardware disk controller. It connects to a header on that board so that you get the light when those disks are being accessed. I also noticed today that the PWR switch had a 3 pin header rather than two and they solved that as well - it just takes a rewire. I have to say that Antec Tech Support are usually excellent - it was just late last night andd I was frustrated! ;-D Many thanks for your reply Mike

Cheers, Snapper

Thanks
    Would have been nice of them to have slipped a piece of paper into the case, explaining this, rather than leaving people puzzled.

Still, nice to know they have good and responsive tech support.

Thanks
    There normally are excess cables from the front panels anyway, so it's hardly something new. That particularly feature I was simply crying out for when I used a dedicated RAID controller. It's an enthusiasts case, so it's nice to see it's got enthusiasts features. Reviews never mention the important details like that.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • |ARM|'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C
      • CPU:
      • E4300@2.66ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR2 800 Geil Ultra
      • Storage:
      • Seagate Barracuda 320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeCube 2900XT
      • PSU:
      • HX620
      • Case:
      • P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • E228WFP
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 1mb bah
    Umm, I never had any problems with my P182 and Gigabyte P35C. There was a 3 pin (well actually 2, but without the middle pin) header on the motherboard, to the left of all the hdd, reset an all of those headers.
    Wiring it all up took a bit of figuring out though, those pins are damn small and fiddly.

Thread Information