Thread: Akasa PSU - 2 failed - mobo problem ?

Thanks

Akasa PSU - 2 failed - mobo problem ?

Hi all,

Anyone got any experience with the Akasa AK-P650FF-V1 PSU ?

I bought one when they first came out, and it ran great for a year and a half, then died. Computer was running fine, shut it down, next time I went to use it, it was dead, wouldn't start. Checked the fuses and the PSU fuse was blown, replaced it and it blew again instantly.

The 3 year warranty from Akasa meant I got a brand new replacement unit from them promptly, and that was great, when I hooked it up I found my computer hardware was not damaged by the original PSU failure and it all started up first time, no problems.

The replacement PSU has now been installed for just over a month, and the computer has been used around a dozen times in that period, but when I went to use it the other night, it wouldn't turn on.

Checked the fuse and it was ok this time, my ASUS motherboard has an LED on it that lights up when the PSU is connected and plugged in, and that LED lights ok, but the computer does nothing when I hit the power button.

I then borrowed a PSU from a friends computer that was known to be working, and my computer started first time, then I connected the Akasa and it wouldn't start again...

So... two PSU's in a month ? Is this just bad luck ? or is it possible there is an underlying motherboard problem starting perhaps ?

Anyone any thoughts ?

Thanks !
    Last edited by Sema4; 07-08-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks
    • godsdog's system
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 204B
      • Internet:
      • UKFSN ..have to check
    No direct experience with akasa PSUs, but something occurs to me. While I was checking out my akasa card reader, I flicked onto the PSUs and checked your model out. Me ? Two strikes and you're out. I would be wanting my money back or an equivalent power rated product from a different range, they do: Ultra Quiet, Efficiency & Performance, apparently.

However, checking out your current AK-P650FF-V1 I noticed it listed as AK-P650FF-V2. I'm guessing V2 is a version fix and i would be looking to see what your replacement is and contacting akasa tech support to find out detail.

Thanks
    The faulting PSU is from the 'performance' range, and is listed as a 'server class' PSU (if that's anything more than marketing spin...) The V1 is still listed on the Akasa website, but it's under the 'archive' section because as you point out, it's been superseded by the V2...

Spec for the V1 is located at http://www.akasa.co.uk/akasa_english...650ff_bkv1.htm

I don't really want a replacement from the 'quiet' or 'efficient' range, I opted for performance in the first place, for that very reason... I just can't decide if the second failure within a month is nothing more than bad luck, or a sign that something in the computer is faulting randomly, and causing the PSU to fail as a result...

All credit to Akasa, I emailed the guy that RMA'd the first one for me last month, and he was super quick to issue a new RMA, and he has assured me they will be sending me a different, newer model this time. He went on to say they will also make a point of locating the fault in the one I return to try and get to the bottom of this.

I can't in all honesty, see another component manufacturer actually taking the trouble to locate a specific fault in an RMA'd item in order to help a customer fault find, I'm impressed!

Just posted here on the off chance that someone had encountered a similar problem in the past that turned out to be a motherboard or ancillary device fault, as this one may take a while to find...

It won't bother me too much if I need to bin the lot and start again, it's probably about time I upgraded anyway, lol, the only thing that will break my heart are the two i-RAM cards I have in RAID, can't buy them any more

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p
    Well I wouldn't be surprised that they would check an RMA'd product to find out whats wrong with it, simply so they know. If a component failed then the whole batch could be effected and they'll get a lot more complaints/failiers which would not be good for them.

What would be surprising is if they actually tell you, with out you haveing to chase them up on the issue.

Looks like a case of bad luck and some good after sale service from Akasa.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    A long shot but if you plug the PC into a UPS, I would check there......had a dodgy UPS killing PSUs a while ago.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    What would be surprising is if they actually tell you, with out you haveing to chase them up on the issue.
    My thoughts exactly... time will tell but so far, I give them 20 out of 10 for customer service, which from a manufacturer, is a rare thing in my experience...

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    A long shot but if you plug the PC into a UPS, I would check there......had a dodgy UPS killing PSUs a while ago.
    Great idea, but no UPS involved here, only an anti-surge strip that also has monitors, cable modem, router and speakers plugged in to it, good thinking tho

Thread Information