Thread: getting a 2.4c upto 3.3ghz +

Thanks

getting a 2.4c upto 3.3ghz +

tally ho...

ive bought a 2500xp barton with the intent to knock it up to the equivelent of a 3200xp but ive ben mincing about on some sites and have seen that you can buy a p4 2.4C and get it upto 3.3ghz on average

if this is true and easily obtainable them im going intel but if its as hard as a coffin nail to do then ill prollys just stick with the amd i bought

i have only bought these components so far

2500xp
    ti4200

i am after the following parts
    xaser III v2000a
    aquarius 2 water cooling system
    1gb twinmos dual channel 3200 ddr
    any p4 mobo which can handle the 2.4C at about 3.3ghz

im hoping some people who have obtained such speeds with a p4 2.4C could get in touch as im ready to buy the parts and make the pc within days

it would also be top notch if anyone could post a pretty detailed description of how to sort the memory timings out and stuff like that

cheers anyway

Mind that bus, what bus? Splat!
    Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500+
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB
    its your luck with the chip, my 2.4C struggles to hit 3ghz stable....

but most can get 3-3.3 without too many probs, easy... it is if you know what your doing

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, getting my 2600+ AMD chip to 2.2ghz (3200+) consisted of going into Soft Menu II (or is it III?), changing the FSB to 200, and the multi to 11, and booting. Failed.

Ease of the RAM latency from 2 to 2.5, booted. Worked. Hurrah!

Alas, 3300+ seems out of my reach. Luck of the draw, and all that.

Banned
    Thanks
    So basically it is VERY easy to o/c the XP2500+ primarilly because they're unlocked unlike P4's and that allows you to fine tune everything whilst keeping everything in spec. XP2500+ on average achieve XP3200+ speeds. All you need to do is drop the multiplier and select 400FSB. Then up the multiplier bit by bit (and test) until you become unstable at which point you either back off a little for the long term or try a little more voltage and go a little higher. That's it, o/c'ing can easily take < 10min and you're virtually assured optimal settings for RAM, mobo and CPU with nothing out of spec (that you don't want).

As you suspect it is not uncommon for most 2.4C and 2.6C to achieve 3.2ghz on average, some find disabling HT gets them a little higher but you're better off with it. It is a little more complicated when o/c'ing Intel as you effectively need to guess what the CPU will be able to do in order to choose your other stuff. It is better to pick better RAM as you want to keep it sync as much as possible and PC3200 isn't going to let you do that. Still since most people end up with 1000FSB+ no RAM is likely to keep synced so when you factor in a ratio to FSB PC3200 isn't really that limiting. For the mobo it's probably best to get i865PE or i875P and preferably something known to o/c well with 1000FSB+ doable. In a way o/c'ing is simple because essentially you just increase the FSB until things get unstable, then you can change the RAM ratio or timings and see if you get higher. Again when at max stable o/c either back off a little for the long term or try a little extra voltage and see if that gets you higher.

There's no doubt that the P4 will be faster but do consider how much more you're spending for the priviledge. An AthlonXP3200+ is very fast and by the time it becomes 'too slow' you'll want to switch over to Athlon64 939pin anyway (unless Intel make a surprise move). If I had the cash I'd go P4 but I'd much prefer the XP3200+ route with more money spent on the gfx card which will REALLY show when gaming.

Thanks
    I have a P4 2.6C and PC3200 memory (OCZ low latency)

Would I be best trying to OC the CPU and keeping the memory the same by using a diff ratio e.g. it currently runs 1:1 meaning 200/200 (cpu/mem FSB) but I wanna try bumping the CPU FSB to 250 (1000FSB total) and keep the memory at 200 so this would mean setting the ratio to 4:5 or is it 5:4 ??

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Medic... I need a medic.. Donny John's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Donny John's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-970A-DS3
      • CPU:
      • FX 6300 piledriver
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Ballistix (dual channel)
      • Storage:
      • M4 128Gb + 36Gb Raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7770 1Gb DDR5
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Generic
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ult. SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • CTX 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Some crap from Sky.
    Sorry to jump in on your thread a bit, I have a question that's related: Is a Barton at XP3200 speed faster than a Thoroughbred XP1700+ at XP3200 speed (200Mhz FSB)? If so, is this just because of the L1/L2 RAM on the Chip?
    <sig removed by Agent - You should know better mate! >

I know where you spawn!

Illegitimi non carborundum
    Pronounced: NO-lee NO-teece per-mee-TAIR-ray TEH tuh-RAIR-ay!

Banned
    Thanks
    Donny John yes the Barton is roughly 5% faster clock for clock (so TbredB_2.2ghz = Barton _2.1ghz) and it is all down to the extra L2 cache.

Richie you can try upping the FSB (as you need to in order to o/c P4) and relaxing the timings should allow you to get higher. As you say you are unlikely to get to 1000FSB with that RAM in sync so would need to try a ratio, see what your mobo offers. At 4x250=1000FSB ...

1:1 = DDR500 PC4000
    4:3 = DDR375 PC3000
    5:4 = DDR400 PC3200 (what you want for 1000FSB)

The higher number of the ratio will represent the FSB while the lower number will represent the RAM speed, after all you want the RAM to run slower than the FSB in order to raise the FSB.

Thanks
    Yeah thats what I thought Austin, cheers

I tried messing around for 10 mins a while back and I got the CPU to 2808MHz but it would load right. Got to the "loading windows XP Pro" screen (black one with blue scroll bar) and then it would just die but this could be just cause I changed FSB and NOTHING else i.e. left mem at 1:1 and didnt up any voltages etc.

Edit - I take it that its best to start with just the CPU and leave the memory the same by altering its timing i.e. keep mem at 200fsb until you have the CPU FSB set and then adjust the mem ??

Will try again this afternoon

I have done my vid card this morning already -

Albatron Ti4680 Turbo

Stock Core - 250MHz
    Stock Memory - 550MHz

New Core - 301MHz
    New Memory - 676MHz

Not tried to push it any more or really tested it but the general view is it can go to 315/690 easily so might try a bit more
    Last edited by Richie; 28-10-2003 at 05:06 PM.

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Thanks
    I just got a 2.4C almost 2 weeks ago. It runs at 3.6Ghz at default voltage. It was the easiest overclock I have ever done.

I am probably ordering a 2.6C today (overnighted) for a new system I building. And I will let you know tomorrow how that one does. But right now the 2.4C & 2.6C's are the same price.

I'm hoping it does 3.9Ghz! so I can run it at 300Mhz FSB.

Banned
    Thanks
    Richie I'd relax the timings first (maybe leave set to SPD) and keep it 1:1, then see how far you can go with the FSB. The RAM will almost certainly limit you before the FSB so you can then try a ratio to run the RAM slower than the FSB and hence ensure the RAM is running within its spec (< 2x200=400mhz for PC3200). When you find the max o/c try a little more CPU voltage if you wish but be sure you don't leave the PC too near its max o/c. Once you get your final o/c that is limited by the CPU it's time to tighten those timings (with testing) and pref ensure the RAM runs as close to its spec (PC3200) as possible. Nice o/c on the gfx card BTW, that will give you the biggest boost when gaming.

Thanks

my new gear

i decided to buy the p4 2.6c, asus p4800 deluxe, 1gb dual channel 400, maxtor hdd, xaser 3 2000A, stock cooling.

ive used the mobo's jumper free overclocking and got the p4 upto 3.12 before but now i can't do it and im rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe when it comes to manual tuning cos i dont know how to do it with this mobo. can anyone give me a hand and does anyone know how to turn off asus qfan cos the cpu gets a bit too hot for my liking.
    28 idle 47 load and thats at 2600mhz

thanks

Thread Information