Thread: Quiet 60mm fans on the market?

Thanks

Quiet 60mm fans on the market?

I looked into this a few months back but couldn't find a good solution. The problem is that I need a 60mm fan for a video projector (ie. why an 80mm won't do). The other problem is that it needs to be quiet (anything under 30dB considered) but also reasonably powerful (the current NMB fan is rated ~30CFM so I wouldn't want to go too far below that). Oh, also must be 3pin.

As I said, I looked into all the fans available a few months ago and couldn't get anything suitable but on seeing the SFF drive has brought focus back to smaller fans (I saw the s3 fans on ultim8pc, but no 60mm) I was hoping someone could suggest some alternatives?

Thanks
    Vantec Stealth?

Thanks
    Thanks Caged, but just had a look and their 60mm only pushes 12cfm which would fry my pj quick style.

joe
    Thanks
    I think that your problem will be physics..........small + high volume= noise
    To get good airflow from a small fan needs high revs and that makes noise.Most'quiet' fans are bigger fans turning slower.

Thanks
    Yeah, those darn physics again

I was just thinking there may have been a few more models out that had refined the process - the current fan is an NMB that is either rated 33 or 36db but either way, it's a hell of a loud!

I'm just looking for an alternative and had spoken to Dorothy Bradbury at the time (a well known fan boffin around these parts!) and the Papst NGL12 (or something) seemed the best solution but I couldn't find one with 3 wires anywhere.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goof
    Yeah, those darn physics again

I was just thinking there may have been a few more models out that had refined the process - the current fan is an NMB that is either rated 33 or 36db but either way, it's a hell of a loud!

I'm just looking for an alternative and had spoken to Dorothy Bradbury at the time (a well known fan boffin around these parts!) and the Papst NGL12 (or something) seemed the best solution but I couldn't find one with 3 wires anywhere.

ISTR that Thermaltake did a powerful quiet 60mm fan.. 25mm thick but quiet. I had one and MIGHT have one at home still. Figures around 25-30cfm IIRC.

Meth

Thanks
    Hi Methanoid,

I think you're probably referring to the TT 6025A, which on paper had the best noise/power ratio of any of the 60mm's available. I ordered one of these from Dabs but when it arrived, the box said 37db.

I figured they must've sent the wrong model so I bought another 6025A off someone at OCS but that was similarly loud. Perhaps if you can locate it you could try it out for me and lmk what the noise level's like?

Thanks
    Maybe there's a solder point on the Papst fans to add your own 3rd speed sensing pin?

Thanks
    I'm not sured Caged, would have to let someone more knowledgable comment on that. The fan would need to be able to step up and down (by voltage I guess) which the projector controls according to whether it's on/cooling cycle.

Thread Information