Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible to have 2x80GB in RAID0 & remaining space as two separate disks?

Thanks

Possible to have 2x80GB in RAID0 & remaining space as two separate disks?

I've have 2 x 500GB drives and am considering setting up my system partition as 2x80GB in RAID 0. For the remainder of the space (ie. 2x420GB unformatted), I would just like to have them as two non-RAID 420GB separate drives which I can partition independently. Is this possible ?

FYI, I am using a P5B Deluxe which has on-board RAID.

From a RAID noob

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Re: Possible to have 2x80GB in RAID0 & remaining space as two separate disks?

Not heard of that before. Certainly from the raid i set up on the IP-35 it only recognised physical drives not partitions (although partitions are maintained when a drive is radied)

It would be better to just get a couple of 80gb hard drives and raid them seperately

Mind that bus, what bus? Splat!
    Thanks
    • Gr44's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • C2Q Q6600 G0 @ 3.68Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC8500+
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 720w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell 2408's
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB

Possibly. But you'd be killing CPU cycles for the sake of doing it.

You'd be better off RAID0'ing the 2x 500GB drives and just using though. If you want something to 'backup' data to, buy a cheap external HDD.

You can always partition the 1TB array into smaller chunks if you so wish. such as 100GB for OS drive and 200GB for games etc - that will make no differance speed wise.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Yes you can do this. It's called Intel Matrix Raid and your chipset supports it.

Intel Matrix Storage Technology can be found on select platforms based on the IntelĀ® 3 Series chipsets, 965, 975X, 955X, 945G ,945P, 945PM and 945GM Express chipsets. Contact the platform manufacturers directly to verify which of their products offer Intel Matrix Storage Technology.
    Check here for details
    It is supposed to be very good. Here is a test.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max

Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    Yes you can do this. It's called Intel Matrix Raid and your chipset supports it.

Check here for details
    It is supposed to be very good. Here is a test.
    Are you sure on this as from my experience of using SCSI RAID on servers when you register a disk it normally encapsulates the entire disk so you can't generally say only use 80gb of that drive and leave the rest untouched. Once the disks are RAIDed with RAID 0 then you can create partitions on the disks but you'd only have a total of 500gb available to play around with.

EDIT: Just read the test article you linked to, very interesting It seems that you can spilt a disk and then mix RAID 0 and RAID 1 on the disk but still unsure if you create a RAID 0 partition and use the remaining space as normal disk space.

Thanks for the article though - very interesting read as I said above
    Last edited by IAmATeaf; 27-08-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    EDIT: Just read the test article you linked to, very interesting It seems that you can spilt a disk and then mix RAID 0 and RAID 1 on the disk but still unsure if you create a RAID 0 partition and use the remaining space as normal disk space.
    Yes I see your query. My apologies I must learn to read. I read the OP's question as Raid 0 on part of two disks (80gb) and the rest Raid 1, when infact he wanted the rest to be two seperate drives and not raid 1 configured. I think that further investigstion of the 965 chipset and what Matrix Raid is capable of is required.

Can anyone else shed some light? I've not come across a two disk solution with raid 0 and then the rest of the two physical disks as individual partitions before.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gr44 View Post
    Possibly. But you'd be killing CPU cycles for the sake of doing it.
    The CPU usage of almost any RAID array is small. Two drives in a situation like this wont even scratch a CPU.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing the calculations on the CPU; After all, its don't make sense to have a powerful machine sitting there doing nothing.
    Any CPU cycles that were 'killed' would be on such a small scale it would be genuinely hard to measure

Can anyone else shed some light? I've not come across a two disk solution with raid 0 and then the rest of the two physical disks as individual partitions before.
    At the very least I think it can do JBOD, but this would link the remanding space from both drives.

This has got me quite interested. I have 2 500GB drives coming tomrrow, so I might try it if I have time, just out of curiosity before I have to give them to their owners
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Old Fool!
    Thanks
    • EtheAv8r's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus V Gene
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K @ 4500 Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Samsung EVO 850 SSD; 1 x Samsung 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S-12 650 Energy+
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2713H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity II

Yes I see your query. My apologies I must learn to read. I read the OP's question as Raid 0 on part of two disks (80gb) and the rest Raid 1, when infact he wanted the rest to be two seperate drives and not raid 1 configured. I think that further investigstion of the 965 chipset and what Matrix Raid is capable of is required.

Yes you can with Intel Matrix Storage Manager, and I have done it.

If you create your RAID 0 first on the array (on which I assume you will install Windows), when you subsequently go into windows you will find the remainder of each disk as two separate volumes in Disk management, and you can format them and assign each it's own drive letter and use independently.
    Try to make each and every day the best it can be.

9. Received thanks from:

Defenestration (28-08-2007),iranu (28-08-2007),mroz (28-08-2007)

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Brilliant. That answers that then

Thanks

That's great news EtheAv8r. Many Thanks!

Thanks
    • mroz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35-DS4 rev 1.1
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0 @ 2.4GHz (was @ 3.2GHz), TRU120X (lapped) + Sythe S-Flex 1600rpm
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GiB DDR2 Twin2X 6400 C4 (was 2GiB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint 500GB x 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460 (was Gigabyte 7600GS passive)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 aka The Vacuum Cleaner
      • Monitor(s):
      • They're everywhere
      • Internet:
      • Zen upto 75Mb/s (typically 26Mb/s when no one else is using the internet)

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    EDIT: Just read the test article you linked to, very interesting It seems that you can spilt a disk and then mix RAID 0 and RAID 1 on the disk
    I assume this is why they named it Matrix RAID - one dimension spans multiple drives & the other, multiple divisions per drive.

Thanks
    • mroz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35-DS4 rev 1.1
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0 @ 2.4GHz (was @ 3.2GHz), TRU120X (lapped) + Sythe S-Flex 1600rpm
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GiB DDR2 Twin2X 6400 C4 (was 2GiB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint 500GB x 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 460 (was Gigabyte 7600GS passive)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 aka The Vacuum Cleaner
      • Monitor(s):
      • They're everywhere
      • Internet:
      • Zen upto 75Mb/s (typically 26Mb/s when no one else is using the internet)

Quote Originally Posted by EtheAv8r View Post

If you create your RAID 0 first on the array (on which I assume you will install Windows), when you subsequently go into windows you will find the remainder of each disk as two separate volumes in Disk management, and you can format them and assign each it's own drive letter and use independently.
    Cool, that gives me another option to consider

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EtheAv8r View Post

Can you explain exactly how you did it because I can only see the 80GB RAID 0 partition in Windows ?

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi mobo, and created the RAID 0 using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option Boot ROM utility (ie. entered by pressing Ctrl+I during POST). I chose option 1 to create a RAID Volume whose size was 80GB, and which used both disks to create the array. I then exited and booted with the Windows installation CD to install XP Pro SP2 (with RAID driver slipstreamed). After installation of XP was complete, I went into Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management but the remaining space on each disk is not visible. All I see is Disk 0, which is 80GB (ie. RAID 0), and CD-ROM 0, which is my DVD drive.

I have also installed the trial version of Paragon Partition Manager 8.5, but that doesn't see the remaining space either.

Registered+
    Thanks

Question Re: Possible to have 2x80GB in RAID0 & remaining space as two separate disks?

Hi

I'm in the same position as the OP: can this sort of thing be done?

I have 2x500GB drives on a P5K-E board set up with 100GB (RAID0, booting to XP Home) and I can only assign the remaining space to be either RAID0 or 1 in one large volume. The "Specify Volume Size" options are all ghosted. I guess this relates to there being a maximum of two volumes allowed?

Ideally I'd like make the unused space a mixture of a 100GB volume of RAID1 (let's say as "D:") and the remainder as two separate "non-raid" drives ("E:" and "F:"). I'd have speed from RAID0, some security in my RAID1 and make more use of the space from the two separate drives and their "normal" part at the end.

Apologies for the poor explanation but hopefully someone will understand what I'm trying to say! Is matrix raid able to do this sort of thing or am I going about it the wrong way? I've used LVM and hardware and software RAID in Linux but the matrix stuff on XP is all new to me!

Thanks for your help

Registered+
    Thanks
    • blowtorch's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EPoX 8K3a+
      • CPU:
      • AMD XP2500+ (mobile barton) under an alpha PAL
      • Memory:
      • 1.5 GB PC2700 (Samsung/Micron)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint 160GB EIDE, Maxtor 6 series 60GB EIDE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtech 7600GT 256MB (AGP)
      • PSU:
      • Enermax 420W (cant remember the model)
      • Case:
      • Lian LI P (cant remeber the model)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17" NEC Multisync LCD 175VXM+ over DVI
      • Internet:
      • 2 MB Broadband

You guys might want to check this out:-

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=467848

Thanks

I've researched this further and it's NOT possible to have part of a disk as RAID, and the remainder as non-RAID (at least not with Intel Matrix RAID). Each RAID volume can be further partitioned using partitioning tools, with the resulting partition(s) having the same RAID properties as the volume they were created on.

theoaf - The best you can get with your current setup would be to create a 900GB RAID 0 Volume, and a 100GB RAID 1 Volume. You can then partition the 900GB RAID 0 volume into two separate partitions (ie. 1 x 100GB RAID 0 partition for XP, and 1 x 800GB RAID 0 partition for data with drive letters C: and D: ), and create a single 100GB data partition on the 100GB RAID 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information