Thread: ECS KN1 and Opteron 165 problem

Thanks

Question ECS KN1 and Opteron 165 problem

Morning All! Just purchased a ECS KN1 Extreme motherboard and AMD Opteron 165 Dual-Core processor. Completed a fresh load of WinXP Pro with Sp2 on a new ide drive. Running 1-gig of matched memory, and an XFX 7300 PCI-e 256meg video card. All well and good except that it doesnt seem to have the second "core" of the processor enabled. "Properties" on "My Computer" indicate it is an AMD "Hammer" of some sort, but cant identify it. Looking at the "System Information" under the system tools indicates the same thing. CPU-z says only one core working also. I have downloaded the MicroSoft patches for WinXp. Other than the Symantec AntiVirus and the winXP patches, i dont have anything on the drive...

I havent "flashed" the BIOS as yet, tho i think i may have to to get it to work properly. Has anyone else had this sort of problem or used this motherboard/processor combination?

Thanks in advance for ANY advice!!

Thanks
    Check "computer" under device manager, it should say something like "muiltprocessor pc" then both your cores are enabled. Also you should have two graphs for "history of cpu usage" under performance tab in task manager. If you're running most recent version of cpu-z I think processor selection tab is greyed out. If you want to have that option then simply get older version(1.33.1 or bellow) from places like filehippo

Thanks
    Evening!! Yes i tried that and a few other things, finally flashed the BIOS...that worked...now tryin to figure out how to overclock this combo...familiar with the overclocking process, but the bios on this motherboard is different from what i am familiar with...so more searching on the net for folks that have or are using this combination of motherboard and processor. Many thanks for your input!!

Thanks
    Hello mate,

To overclock this motherboard (IIRC - my friend has the same one) you need to be in advanced chipset features for your FSB(cpu frequency) manipulation. This section also has your HT frequency/ CPU voltage / memory voltage etc.

Thanks
    Hexus have actually reviewed this board!

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=960&page=1

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have the ECS KN1 SLI Lite which i think is basically the same board except I have the SLI and don't have firewire connectors on the board itself. For the most part I think the bios is the same. I am still using the 10/20/2005 bios. From the bios notes I haven't seen an urgent need to flash. I too am running an Opteron 165. I've had mine up to 2.6 with the cpu frequency at 289 using a 166 divider on stock voltages. The only thing is my ram is only running at 185mhz. Could really use a 150 divider or push the cpu to 2.8. I tried going to 2.8 on stock voltages but anything above cpu frequency of 296 I cannot boot into windows. I haven't messed with the voltages yet or ram timings so it might be possible. I read on newegg one guy is running his Opteron 165 at 311 with his ECS KN1 SLI Lite so it is possible. I have an average stepping of CCBWE so it could be the cpu. I haven't had time to play around but overall I am pleased with the motherbaord. ECS seemed to do a nice job on the KN1 Extreme and Lite Extreme series.

Also the cpu multiplier is the Power Management Setup under Hammer Fid Control.

Thanks
    Morning!! Thanks for the info! Yes, had gone in there and changed a few settings, but since i was on "unfamiliar ground" i was not as aggressive as i usually am with other AMD processors/motherboard configurations...

Definately thanks for the info tho!!

Cktbreak3r in Arizona

Thanks

Re: ECS KN1 and Opteron 165 problem

Hi All....

I purchased a KN1 SLi Lite motherboard
    So i have opteron 165 processor, my mobo cant recognize the cpu multiplyer
    i look in the BIOS that set the multiplyer at 8.5 and the HTT frecuencie at 213 to
    equal opteron 165 speed...
    i cant overclock my PC... set the HTT over value and when reboot the system stay in default value into windows, but the BIOS looks change values.

I need help,. thank you for tha attention

Registered+
    Thanks

The multiplier is locked at 9 on the Opteron 165 so you cannot change it to 8.5. Only FX chips have multipliers that you can change. To overclock the Opteron or athlon 64 you have to change the fsb [htt] and adjust your memory accordingly. I suggest you read this http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823

If bios is reading multiplier wrong then I suggest flashing it to the latest.
    Opteron 165 2.6ghz
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
    ECS KN1 SLI Lite
    2gb G.Skill PC3200 Dual Channel
    Win XP Pro w/SP2
    Raidmax RX-630A [modular] PSU
    2x EVGA 7900GS
    2x 250GB WD Caviar SE16 SATA II
    2x 80GB WD Caviar SATA II

Thanks

The above post is not 100% accurate. All A64 CPUs (including Opterons) have unlocked downward multipliers - only the FX series had upwards multipliers unlocked too.

e.g. if the stock CPU multi is 10, then 9, 8, 7, 6, 5 & 4 are all available. Don't bother with 1/2 multis on S939 - they didn't really get those figured properly until AM2.

Finally, as suggested above go for the latest BIOS to get it to recognize the CPU properly.

Thread Information