Thread: A bit more advice needed - CPU temps, Vista

Thanks

A bit more advice needed - CPU temps, Vista

Ok firstly, to get my system up and running and tested I've used my Dad's copy of Vista, will have to get my own copy before activation is required. Is there any point getting a 64-bit version? My Dad opted for 32-bit as he felt the 64-bit version disappointing and had more compatibility issues, however, it seems on various forums people are opting for the 64-bit version..

Secondly, with my Arctic Pro 7 cooler I'm getting CPU temp of around 30-32degC and system temp of around 10degC higher (I think). CPU is E4400, Mobo is Gigabyte P35-DS3R and case is Akasa Zen. Are these good idle temps for this setup? Obviously, once I get my own copy of Vista I will be able to start downloading some more monitoring programs, but just looking at what sort of temperature ranges I should be looking for for an overclock to 2.6 gigs.

Ooh yeah, just one more thing - when the system is overclocked and you want to install extra RAM, do you need to reset the components to stock and start from scratch? Just worried that a new RAM module might not have the same headroom as the existing parts, and frying it. I'm not going for anything extreme though so should be fine.

My thanks in advance, advice from here is always most appreciated

Thanks

Re: A bit more advice needed - CPU temps, Vista

Choosing 64-bit version is really required if you are aiming of using 4GB+ of memory. I don't know any application apart from professional ones which have noticeable performance increase compared to 32-bit. Some 3rd party hardware may not have good drivers for 64-bit OS too.

Temps look fine to me. And yes - it is better to test OC headroom of new component. Anyway frying memory is possible only if running it at high voltage and most of the RAM can take 2.1V to show it's full potential in overclocking, not extreme of course.

3. Received thanks from:

gt81 (30-08-2007)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jjcave's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5K-E
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corair 620W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19"

Quote Originally Posted by CooperXS View Post
    Choosing 64-bit version is really required if you are aiming of using 4GB+ of memory. I don't know any application apart from professional ones which have noticeable performance increase compared to 32-bit. Some 3rd party hardware may not have good drivers for 64-bit OS too.
    The ability to address over 4GB of RAM is the main difference I could think of, but this amount of memory is hardly needed for the majority of users. I believe I read somewhere that the security of 64-bit Vista was better, but I am unsure of that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CooperXS View Post

Temps look fine to me. And yes - it is better to test OC headroom of new component. Anyway frying memory is possible only if running it at high voltage and most of the RAM can take 2.1V to show it's full potential in overclocking, not extreme of course.
    Will go for 32-bit version then. I heard it only supports up to 3gb RAM though, or is it 4 (or somewhere in between)? I'd like a bit more when I've the funds as I hear some games go over 2gb usage and crash Vista (my dad had that problem with Stalker). This system is mostly going to be used for gaming, net browsing, transferring music to ipod, college work - so nothing too strenuous. Might not overclock it for a little while while I catch up on some of the older games I've not been able to enjoy.

Registered+
    Thanks

3326MB to be exact (at least for me it is, yeah, I'm one of *those*).

From what I gather 64-bit is mostly ok except for a few rogue apps that have compatibility issues and the base requirement to use signed drivers (though I believe this can be turned off).

Even 64-bit version automatically limits the RAM available to 32-bit applications so that they don't throw a hissy fit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tetras View Post
    3326MB to be exact (at least for me it is, yeah, I'm one of *those*).

From what I gather 64-bit is mostly ok except for a few rogue apps that have compatibility issues and the base requirement to use signed drivers (though I believe this can be turned off).

Even 64-bit version automatically limits the RAM available to 32-bit applications so that they don't throw a hissy fit.
    I see. Had been seeing all these numbers bandied about the place and was left a bit confused.

Will go for 32-bit Home Premium and get an extra gig of RAM later on.

Cheers.

Thread Information