Thread: A few Question?

Thanks

A few Questions?

Hi All!

I have a few questions (+ opinions needed) on a some hardware pieces. I'm wanting to build a new PC, sometime soon (preferably mid-Nov at the latest). It will be used for 3D Animation, Game Development and Gaming. I'm fine when it comes to software based bits but I'm clueless with hardware so I apologise in advance if I ask any stupid questions.

1. Does anyone know if there is anything coming, that will be here within the next few months worth waiting for? There doesn't seem to be much solid information about the new nVidia cards or the Penryn/Barcelona processors.

2. If I bought an 8800 GTX now along with a P35 based motherboard (asus p5k probably) I would hope to buy the upgrade nVidia card (when they eventually decide to release it) but... since that is going to be for PCI-E 2.0 would it work 'properly'. I know they say PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible with PCI-E 1.1 but surely something would be limited/slowed/restricted otherwise what would be the point of PCI-E 2.0?

3. Well... this is kind of like #1 but if it was you would you consider now a good time to buy or is it worth waiting a little while? I realise all computer hardware is quickly outdated but I wouldn't want to buy/build it and then something significantly better come out the week after.

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks! (and sorry for any bad English it's not a first language)
    Last edited by Markus123; 09-09-2007 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Re: A few Question?

Well one thing you can wait for is the X38 motherboards..starting to become available for pre-orders in some places.

They will feature compatability with the forthcoming 1600mhz FSB CPU's from intel and have PCI-E 2.0 ..problem solved.

The next intel's that will perhaps be worth having are coming out next year I think so no point waiting really plus a q6600 will be most adequate for your needs..espeically if you overclock it

I think this is a pretty good time to buy to be honest. DDR2 ram is nice and cheap, the q6600 is well priced and very overclockable..once you can get x38 motherboards you're sorted for some decent future upgrades.. so i would probably go for it. You can always sell the GTX when you want to move to the next gen cards..i'm sure it will still be worth a fair bit of money then.

Thanks

The P35 also supports PCI-E 2.0

Thanks
    • GSte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.2GHz / TRUE
      • Memory:
      • 6GB GSkill 1600MHz cas6
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Barracuda, 2 x WD 500GB AAKS, 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX470
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W
      • Case:
      • X-Clio Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • XP Home, Vista Home Premium X64, Win7 Home X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B
      • Internet:
      • Be Not So Happy

What StaffsMike said, plus the new Nvidia cards should be out by mid-November, but will be pricey don't forget, as it will only be the top end card that is released at first, with the others following early next year.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies! Just a few things:

The P35 also supports PCI-E 2.0
    That's the first time I had heard that, does that mean the X38 wouldn't even be worth waiting for? Although the Asus P5K doesn't seem to support it not sure which ones do?

plus the new Nvidia cards should be out by mid-November, but will be pricey don't forget, as it will only be the top end card that is released at first, with the others following early next year.
    I had read previously that the low-mid (slower than 8800 GTX) would be out in November but the high end wouldn't be released until Feb at the latest (after ATI/AMDs new one). If the high end was out in November I would probably wait... but there doesn't seem to be any proper information on it.

Thanks again.

Thread Information