Thread: sn41g2 wierd reboot issue :(

w33d smoka
    Thanks

sn41g2 wierd reboot issue :(

hi

i have a bit of a problem with my sn41g2 where it runs rock solid for sometimes days at a time in games and then suddenly when im least expecting it the computer will just restart.
    the following is my specs:

sn41g2
    athlon xp2500 (default speed)
    2x512mb twinmos ddr3200 (400mhz) (also tried 333)
    powercolor radeon9800 (default speed) (cat 3.10) (dx9) (tried vsync/fastwrites on/off)
    80gb maxtor 7200rpm
    samsung cdrw/dvd combi
    win xp pro (sp1)

now looking back over the past couple of months ive actually had this problem for a while but just put it down to maybe a dodgy driver or so (which coincidentally event log used to sometimes tell me this) but since then ive done a full format and a fresh win xp pro install twice and i still get the issue seems every few days or so and still "sometimes" itle tell me its a driver problem but mostly it just restarts almost asif ide manually restarted it,when it reboots theres no "windows has recovered from a serious error" box and if i go into event log theres nothing there either but i have these enabled,im using all official drivers eg: motherboard/graphics.

ive recently spent alot of time benchmarking with sisoft sandra/memtest/prime95 and the card with 3dmark2001se/3dmark03 and ive never once failed any tests or had it restart under these programs,ive also had it restart once or twice when browsing too so im sure its not games related but i just cant figure it out,its definately not a heat issue becouse i have a 70mm and an 80mm intake fan which never allow the cpu any higher than 44c even after a full day of testing/gaming and even then it only takes minutes to get below 40c which makes this little beuty the coolest smallest system ive ever owned,needles to say this is my main gaming rig and im absolutely gutted becouse i cant seem to make any sense ofit.

any hints tips would be great thnx.
    Last edited by micovwar; 16-01-2004 at 05:41 PM.

Stu
    Thanks
    Its's very difficult to pinpoint such a generic problem, however I would defintely start by turning of auto restart on system failure:

System props > Advanced > Startup&Recovery options > Untick "automatically restart"

This will cause the machine to blue screen when the system fails, rather than rebooting. Jot down the error code it gives you, and bang that into the search engine on the Microsoft Knowledge base.

Good luck :P

Edit, if it does not blue screen, the its possibily a power issue / voltage drop / spike etc... this sort of erratic turn off obviously can not be logged by windows... and it will just boot as normal. Maybe try and run it off a generic 300W psu with the lid off for couple of days ?
    Last edited by Stu; 16-01-2004 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    May well be a power issue as you've got a reasonable amount running in there, i know if i try and o/c in my sn45 it becomes very unstable because of everything i run in it.

Definatly worth a try turning auto restart off though and seeing if you can get an error code out of it.

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    I had the same problem with my comp, although it's not a Shuttle (yet). Running Win2k though...

I had 2 HDD's, 1 CD-RW, 1 DVD-ROM and it started to fall over periodically when it used to be as stable as a rock. My PSU is a generic 300-watt one which should've provided enough power, but I disconnected a HDD and it stopped falling over.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    ahh actually i forgot to mention about that,i already tried it and i got a blue screen but i got no info wotsoever onit just the blue screen,wierd no?

none the less tho ile set it to blue screen from now on to try and get something info wise,this sure is a headbuster

i also thought about power too,but why would it leave it days rather than hours between each reboot?

sorry,im not questioning ure advice im just curious,and are the updated psu,s just as easy to fit ie same size etc??

thnx again

Thanks
    Hi Miocrovar,

Wanted to ask you an OT question about your LCD so I'll try to answer one of yours first

I would think the new Shuttle PSU's will be the same size to ensure backwards compatibility for their old cases - it only makes good business sense that existing users can upgrade and they don't have to redesign the layout of new cases. Just a guess though!

I also would've thought the PSU problem would be more consistent as you've pointed out, but hooking it up to an ATX PSU should clarify that.

I was wondering if you could drop me a line about those LCD's then?
    Last edited by goof; 18-04-2013 at 03:50 PM.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goof
    Hi Miocrovar,

Wanted to ask you an OT question about your LCD so I'll try to answer one of yours first

I would think the new Shuttle PSU's will be the same size to ensure backwards compatibility for their old cases - it only makes good business sense that existing users can upgrade and they don't have to redesign the layout of new cases. Just a guess though!

I also would've thought the PSU problem would be more consistent as you've pointed out, but hooking it up to an ATX PSU should clarify that.

I was wondering if you could drop me a line about those LCD's then? chrisgray25 AT yahoo.co.uk
    thnx 4 the info on the psu goof,ile mail you sometime 2day,(ive had loadsa peops requesting info on these displays and custom faceplates in the past 2 months,not that im complaining ofcourse) ive jus gotta get my 3 hour wieghts session out the way.

Thanks
    Thanks Micovar, I had a read through an older thread of yours, just got a few Q's

Thread Information