Thread: Check my spec please

Registered+
    Thanks

Check my spec please

Hello, new here, be gentle.

Time has come for a new system to replace my Abit NF7-S, AMD Barton XP2500+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9800pro rig.

So far I've got:

Case: Lian-Li PC-7B II [I understand there is a second edition of this case that has 2x120mm fan holes, I really want to make sure I get this one].

PSU: 520W Corsair

Motherboard: [Lots to choose from] Gigabyte GA-P35 of some description or Asus P5K again not sure on exact model.

CPU: Intel C2D E6600

RAM: 2GB [2x1GB] of ??? PC8500? Stuck with so much choice.

Hard Drive: 500 Gb Samsung HD501LJ Spinpoint T, SATA300 [Looks like the quietest available].

DVD/RW: Samsung SH-S183L/BEBN x18

Graphics: Initially I was looking at 8800GTXs because I'm planning on a 24" screen eventually and will need something with enough juice for 1920x1200. But its alot of money and would I be best waiting a bit for future cards?

Sound: Sorted with E-mu 1212m

Mouse/Keyboard: Probably Deathadder/Tarantula combo

Cooling: I really need some suggestions on the best [has to be quiet] CPU heat sink and a couple of quiet 120mm case fans. I do want to overclock but only to a point where its cost effective and quiet as possible.

I think thats all, It's a bit early so theres probably some mistakes. Any help I'd be grateful!

Thanks,
    Adrian

Thanks
    • Agrippa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X299 Taichi XE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7820X @ 4.8GHz (delid)
      • Memory:
      • 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C14 @ 3600 CL15
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM961 256GB, 850 EVO 1TBx2, 850 EVO 250GB, 840 512GB, Seagate 1TB, 2TB, 8x8TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 1080 Ti RoG Strix
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000x
      • Case:
      • Lian Li D8000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P
      • Internet:
      • 500/500 Fiber
    Looks like a really nice system. Not sure why you'd want PC8500 RAM unless you want to clock, which you don't mention? If not, stick with PC6400. Also, I'd get 4GB while prices are at rock bottom - they'll start rising by the end of summer at latest.

Lian Li is hard to beat when it comes to quality cases and simple, understated styling (which I like - I can't abide annoying lights and other such crap). I use a PC-71 and love it - I'm sure the PC-7B II is as good.

Samsung's SpinPoints are excellent HDs, I own 5 and have been very happy with them both in terms of noise, reliability and speed.

As far as graphics go, I suspect it'll be a good while before the GTXs come down in price much. It'll depend on when ATI manages to launch something as fast or faster, since there's no point for Nvidia in lowering the price while they're indisputably on top.

Cooling-wise you might want to go with a Thermalright Ultra-120 or Extreme and fit it with a silent fan. Those two are apparently the best performers as of now, although there are a lot of good coolers around these days. As far as fans go I've always liked Papst and Panaflo, but I'm not too sure what's available and not in the UK.

Thanks
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)
    Quote Originally Posted by adsmithy View Post
    Graphics: Initially I was looking at 8800GTXs because I'm planning on a 24" screen eventually and will need something with enough juice for 1920x1200. But its alot of money and would I be best waiting a bit for future cards?
    high end gfx cards always are relased at a hardcore gamer price who must pay the price to have the latest... waitng longer would just mean the price of an 8800GTX would go down and newer faster and better cards will be released so theres no point waiting in getting another high end card because youd just be spending relatively the same amount for a bit more performance.

i like to buy for example an 8800GTX when the next range would come out, that would hopefully push the price down of the card i wanted

Thanks
    • MSIC's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H170M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 6500
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD (boot) +1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GeForce 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W ST455F
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG06-450
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2309W
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet FiberTTC
    I would never advise anyone to buy a top end graphics card unless they were both a) really rich and b) had really nothing better to do with their money.
    I know that technically the 'Ultra' is the top of the line, but that's an artificially made card, made specifically to throw people who otherwise wouldnt buy the top end card (the GTX).
    If you get a 640MB GTS (seems reasonable to not get a 320MB version given your intended resolution) for 50% less cost, it'll do the majority of the work of the GTX.

The princial holds true for almost any component, and i treat RAM in a similar way. Actually, i can't see the appeal of super RAM generally, faster timings only seems to benefit the whole system by a couple of percent, but prices can vary so much between high end and low end it's scary, and the difference between high & low RAM is not at all the same as high and low end graphics cards.

My advice - imagine a rough exponential curve based on a few different prices of low / medium / high components, then work out where you are happy to buy.
    I'm commenting on an internet forum. Your facts hold no sway over me.
    - Another poster, from another forum.

System as shown, plus: Microsoft Wireless mobile 4000 mouse and Logitech Illuminated keyboard.
    Sennheiser RS160 wireless headphones. Creative Gigaworks T40 SII. My wife.
    My Hexus Trust

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for this, I agree with all the points. I need to find the best £ : performance ratio.

Can anyone advise me on specific RAM? There is so much to choose from. I do want to overclock. I find it consfusing if I go for PC8500 will the mobo/cpu be able to cope and run at 1066MHz?

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790K [Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 [240GB] & MX500 [1TB]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb
    Well I'm pretty sure you could run the RAM at 1066MHz even with the CPU at stock using the opposite to a memory divider (whatever it's called... memory multiplier?) but performance gain would be next to nothing.

So the only real reason for it would be (like you said) when overclocking, but you'd need to take your CPU above 3.6GHz for there to be any reason for you not to choose PC6400 RAM as:

PC6400 = 800MHz = 400 x 9 (9x multiplier on a E6600) = 3.6GHz

Really you'd need uber cooling to justify getting PC8500 memory so save some cash and stick with PC6400.
    Last edited by NightshadowUK; 12-06-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    get crucial ballistix pc2-6400 44412 direct from them, you wont be disappointed ( i hit 615MhzX2 at 55512).

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790K [Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 [240GB] & MX500 [1TB]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb
    Or this stuff ...

Geil Ultra DDR2 2.0GB PC6400 4-4-4-12 ~ £61 + delivery

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall
    Both crucial and geil are fantastic products..having had/got both i'd use the ballistix for major overclocks.. or geil if you need or would like the ram to run a little cooler.

Poiny Member
    Thanks
    Well I'm happy with my system (see below) has same cpu and psu as you suggested and both are great - PSU is really quite and cool-running. As for the RAM it cost me less than £100 and is great. save money on the other parts and try to get the best GFX card you can with the extra savings.
    Windows XP / 1.1MB Orange BB: E6600 Core 2 Duo Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3P EVGA 8800GTS Superclocked WD 250GB SATA2/300 2GB Corsair TwinX 6400 DDR2 Corsair HX 520 PSU 17in LG Flatron SONY DVD RW DRU-800A Akasa Zen case SB Audigy

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Check my spec please

Just bumping this because it's been a few months and I'm yet to buy anything yet, and wanted to know what options I now have. I want to make sure the core of my system motherboard/CPU/Memory is really strong.

Case: I need suggestions. Has to be Black. Simple and clean looking. Room for 120mm fans. Was originally looking at Lian-Li PC-7B II but wondered if there are other options now.

PSU: Corsair 520/620w

Motherboard: Abit P5K Delux seems to be the best. Question: How many SATA ports does this have? I may want to run up to 3 HDDs + a SATA DVD/RW drive.

CPU: Intel Q6600 - I understand there is a particiular "edition" that is the best for overclocking? How do I make sure I get this one?. CPU Heatsink suggestions? I want something that is really quiet/silent. Thermalright Ultra-120 ?

Memory: 4x1Gb Crucial PC6400

Hard Drive: Samsung 500Gb

DVD/RW: Samsung SATA watsit

Graphics I want the best bang for buck. DX10 compatible with S-video/DVI OUT.

Sound: Currently using an E-mu 1212m but I have found that this isn't compatible with some games so I'm possibly looking for something else, with high end sound quality for music and games.

Mouse&Keyboard: Mouse will be Deathadder and keyboard was a Tarantula but this is pricey and other suggestions? Has to be black.

Monitor 24" Has to be black

As you can see this is very similar to the original spec but as it's been a few months wanted to make sure I'm up to date.

Regards,
    Adrian

Registered+
    Thanks
    • wither2000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35E
      • CPU:
      • E4500 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb crucial ballistix 6400
      • Storage:
      • Samgsung spinpoint 250gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata II
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 913n

The CPU you refer to is the Q6600 'G0' Stepping - also refered to as SLACR

Registered+
    Thanks

Just put a spec together on Scan.

Items missing are:
    Keyboard
    CPU Cooler
    Case fans 2x120m quiet suggestions?
    RAM - Looking at 4Gb possibly this OCZ RAM OR maybe this GEIL RAM OR maybe spend a bit more on some CRUCIAL RAM

Opinions?

Thanks
    • [R4A]Bigman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 Mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 4GB CORSAIR XMS3 PC3-10666
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD (+6TB Fileserver)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD6850 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG05B-450w Mini-ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP

Whilst there is not much wrong with what you have there, I'd take a few personal preferences as follows. At the end of the day its personal preference, I'm just trying to give you a bit more of a choice

Motherboard - I'd be tempted by an nForce6 650i based motherboard. Cheaper and has a whole load of features. You can pick up the Gigabyte 650i board for around £70 (saving you a good £50).

CPU - Same old argument that has been going on for ages - are 4 cores worth it? I'd suggest perhaps not, but that is because I know I will be hitting another upgrade in around 2 years time (if not sooner) and I don't expect that 4cores will be useful within that time. Also 2 cores gives far less heat, so better overclocking potential AND a quieter system. My preference would be the E6750 for around £120 (saving you £55)

Graphics - I used to be a massive ATi fan boy, but its not as easy anymore. Whilst the 2900PRO offers solid peformance at a pretty decent price, it is also worth considering the 8800GTS 640MB (at as little as £220 from tekheads) or maybe a 8800GTS 320MB (£180), though the 320MB might be slightly lacking depending on the resolutions you were planning on playing games in. That would set you back an additional £55 or £15 respectively.

Case - totally down to personal preference. I'm a massive Lian Li fanboy so I'm not going to comment

PSU - that's exactly the PSU I'd head for atm. Solid performance, very quiet, modular and sexy too. Can't go wrong.

HDD - I own one of those drives, and I've had a number of Samsungs in the past. Very good drives. Nice and fast as well as being very quiet. Looking at your overall system, however, it might be worth looking at perhaps using this as a secondary drive (i.e. storage etc) and fitting in a rather tasty Raptor 150GB. The performance increase on loading times etc would be notable, and they are (apparently) quite quiet when not seeking. If noise is a big gripe though, the seek noise is enough to drive you mental. Also the price is a little steep at an additional £125 (though if you went for the cheaper mobo and cpu, then you've made this back).

Keyboard - Sticking with Logitech is always a safe bet. Good quality, and reasonably priced keyboards. Microsoft also make decent keyboards, and Seitek have got some popular ones out at the moment.

RAM - The OCZ or Geil RAM you have mentioned look pretty good. The Crucial is overpriced in my opinion. Personally I love the look of the OCZ Reaper RAM. Some people find it garish, but I think it looks beautiful, and anything that I can jam a few more volts though and get a better overclock is fine by me. The 2x1GB 6400 Kit is shy of £60 from microdirect, so four sticks would cost you around £115. I'd say its not worth looking at any RAM faster than 6400, and see if you can't stick to cas ratings 4-4-4-X if you are looking at 4x1GB or 5-5-5-X if you are looking at 2x2GB. OCZ would be my personal preference, but Geil, Corsair and Crucial are solid names too.

Fans - For me its all about Noiseblocker (check out tekheads). The 120mm XL1 is looking rather tasty at the moment at 33CFM/16dBA. They are reasonably priced too, at £7.50 a time. At the upper end of the market, i hear the Noctua fans are pretty good at 35CFM/8dBA or 48CFM/17dBA. However, they are pricey at £13-15 a time. At the cheap end of the market, I've been pretty impressed with the Antec Amber series fans. Not the quietest, but pretty decent, and you can always slow them down.
    -Winning isn't everything, but losing is nothing

Thanks

Grab a P35 mobo. The Abit IP-35 is great and has served me well so far. IF you can find nothing on the higher spec P35 mobos you need it is the one for you!
    Not around too often!

Thanks

Abit IP-35 Pro, iP35 Express
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

Short but Sweet

PS go for a 320 GTS rather than the 2900PRO then alls good :-)
    Last edited by Mossy; 02-10-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Thread Information