Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me out... new lappy... £800? maybe more.

Thanks

Help me out... new lappy... £800? maybe more.

after having a quite frankly S***.... few months (women... need i say more) I've just found out some of my bonds are now through... so on November the 2nd I can get my hands on £582(Y)
    I reckon I can stretch it to £800 and possibly £900... (I REALLY WOULD PREFER NOT TOO UNLESS REALLLYYYYY WORTH IT)
    I want to use it for gaming and photoshop / dvd movie making and conversion off the digi camera's in my home... web browsing & email, media and gaming really i guess sums it up
    When I say gaming I'm not saying I want the most REAL graphics because I assume that would be stupid to think I'd get them on that kind of budget?
    at the moment im currently on a xp-m overclocked at 2.2ghz 400fsb or more (can't remember) 1gb ram with a ati 9600XT... so anything that can double that or whatever would be nice I'd like to get into some games and have them look resonably pretty

a nice hard drive size would be good.atleast 120GB or maybe 100GB if the rest is up to spec.
    I'll probably end up using the old machine for a storage serv or summit? any ideas on what os/software to use for this? a nice tasty linux distro might be nice I'm gagging for abit of linux again haha. Which would be more reliable? win/lin?

so in short... 800quid budget ideally at a PUSH £900... with reasonably nice gaming and fast to multitask? like dvd burning/itunes/photoshopping? With a nice 100/120gb+ hdd... dvdrw... nice graphics... please!
    probably would say C2D prefered? Unless AMD have caught up?

links wellll wanted

cheers.any ideas welcomed.

would xp pro give me better gaming preformance over vista ultimate for example?

oh and a 17" would be niceee
    Last edited by keef247; 15-10-2007 at 02:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Re: Help me out... new lappy... £800? maybe more.

vostro 1500

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...sd&~ck=expbuy3

spec as you like

8600GT is great for mobile gaming and the build quality is great.

its the best bang for bucks. I'd go for the 1440 x 900 true life screen. It's a peach.

Order over the phone and you'll be able to haggle them even lower

3. Received thanks from:

keef247 (15-10-2007)

Thanks

how come they'll haggle.what would you advise saying?i though the 8600 wasn't sposed to be very good? or was that the 8500 series?
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Thanks
    • Behemoth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte mATX
      • CPU:
      • Phenom 2 X2 555 BE
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gig DDR3 Corsair XMS 3 1600 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB's Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 OC2
      • PSU:
      • OCZ StealthStream 2 600 Watt
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP x23LED
      • Internet:
      • BT Broadband

8500 is meant to be the sucky one, the 8600 is under rated from what I've been seeing on other forums.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 16-10-2007 at 10:16 AM.

6. Received thanks from:

keef247 (15-10-2007)

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Best value for money atm are the Dell Vostro range, under the Small Business section you can get one with a T7500 Processor, 2GB ram, a 17" screen and 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT GFX card. All for £609 if you avoid the warrenty

Only extra cost ontop of that would be to do a Live Upgrade from Vista Business to Vista Ultimate. Still not a bad price though and with a laptop you avoid the number one flaw of a Dell unit, lack of upgradability because laptops are a PITA to upgrade anyway.

EDIT: LOL other posts saying the same thing turned up at the same time as I posted

8. Received thanks from:

keef247 (15-10-2007)

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

only the 8700gt is better for games, other than the older 7950gtx but that has no dx10 support and it's not exactly the kind of thing you want to upgrade in a laptop.

the 8600gt is great.. the vostro 1500 runs R6 vegas at good settings which is more than enough for me.

10. Received thanks from:

keef247 (15-10-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    Best value for money atm are the Dell Vostro range, under the Small Business section you can get one with a T7500 Processor, 2GB ram, a 17" screen and 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT GFX card. All for £609 if you avoid the warrenty

Only extra cost ontop of that would be to do a Live Upgrade from Vista Business to Vista Ultimate. Still not a bad price though and with a laptop you avoid the number one flaw of a Dell unit, lack of upgradability because laptops are a PITA to upgrade anyway.

EDIT: LOL other posts saying the same thing turned up at the same time as I posted
    LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK!!!!! 17" thats amazing!
    lol.
    how do i disable the warrenty as i couldn't care less about that! I don't want a OS if i can. I already have xp pro...

OH when you say "small business" this sounds stupid but I don't have to have a business or be in one etc to buy its just the way they name/catergorise the laptops like home etc...

would xp pro give me better gaming preformance over vista ultimate for example?

EDIT: so far...
    Vostro 1700
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB, Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    with like 256mb 8600 gt ...
    seems pretty nice its like Sub-total £729.00 17.50 % £856.58
    Total Delivery Charge £51.06 17.50 % £60.00
    Total Price £780.06 17.50 % £916.57
    WHY am I paying for delivery I see so many offers saying free delivery?Is it cause its customised?
    cheers
    Last edited by keef247; 15-10-2007 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...sd&~ck=expbuy3

That should work, you're looking for the Vostro 1700 model and just configure as normal. AFAIK they've never checked details on a Small Business order, but if you wanna be on the safe side simply get it delivered to your work (or parent's / friends work).

Never known Dell to refuse an order yet, though admitedly I tend to buy PC's from there 6 at a time for the company I work for.

Main reason you don't want to put your own OS on it is that the Dell installation will be the one on your recovery media (make sure you look out for that option halfway through, it's only a £5 usually).
    Last edited by Lucio; 15-10-2007 at 12:48 AM.

13. Received thanks from:

keef247 (15-10-2007)

Thanks

how you mean?like all the drivers for the integrated webcam etc?can't i compile my own disc on google with all drivers n shiz? will it be that gay
    I want to have freedom if you get me.not have to be branded to dell OS provided if I want to go back to my xp pro sp2 disc for example...
    any alternatives to tell?
    os free lappys for example?
    Last edited by keef247; 15-10-2007 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks
    • Toobad's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 240GB + 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD 7750 1Gb DDR5
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 480W Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 3007WFP-HC
      • Internet:
      • BT ADSL Max

I ordered a Dell 1700 over the phone on Friday. You definately don't have to be a business to order one, I told them straight up I was a home user. If you don't want to get raped on their 0870 number try ringing them on 01344 373499 (could be the canteen for all I know), tell them you have got lost in their computerised phone system and ask to be transferred to Business Sales for Vostro laptops.

I took the standard N1017003 configuration as I primarily wanted the 1920 x 1200 resolution screen, dropped to basic warranty and opted for the 9-cell battery pack (which will protrude out the back of the lappy a little). The leadtime for the bundled wireless N card is currently about 6 weeks so I downspecced to wireless G (they knocked off a fiver) and delivery is now estimated as 25 Oct.

I asked to swop Vista Business for Vista Home Premium and after a bit of a haggle got another £20 off. I believe, unlike their home user ranges, the Vostros aren't loaded with Dell bloatware and the actual Windows DVD is supplied. Delivery at £60 inc. VAT is always a bone of contention but Dell offers usually alternate between the current "£50 off" and "Free Delivery". I'm guessing the free delivery offer will be in place again from the 24th.

Anyway, my lappy was offered for £695 delivered which is way cheaper than the £900 I was willing to blow on a lesser specced Acer Aspire 7720 Gemstone. Throw in the fact the Vostro has a high end magnesium alloy casing and this makes me one happy bunny indeed.
    Apparently, "Do whatever you like" should NOT be considered authorisation to build my uber rig!

16. Received thanks from:

keef247 (15-10-2007)

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by keef247 View Post
    how you mean?like all the drivers for the integrated webcam etc?can't i compile my own disc on google with all drivers n shiz? will it be that gay
    I want to have freedom if you get me.not have to be branded to dell OS provided if I want to go back to my xp pro sp2 disc for example...
    any alternatives to tell?
    os free lappys for example?
    No, I mean that you won't have a nice pre-loaded, easy configuration disc with all your drivers on and yes, it could be a pain to find one or two drivers if they were built as Vista only devices. As Toobad noted though, phone them, it'll be an easier arguement with them to convince them to put XP Pro on there (point out that your key business software only runs on XP or something) and then you can have a recovery disc.

18. Received thanks from:

keef247 (15-10-2007)

Thanks

lol wicked guys thanks for the help... whats software would it be worth stating haha cause i haven't a clue what to say once they try and comfuse me outta the arguement.
    would the recovery disc contain purely the drivers and reading Toobad's post... will it take like weeks to arrive then:@ cause I want it like now lol!
    plus its going to be near xmas! so I WANT it.and last thing I want is to have it lost...
    EDIT: oh... I've gone (in the test spec'd one I'm doing on their site...) for the 7200rpm 160GB instead of the 5400rpm... what i'm wondering is it really worth £60 quid extra:S is rpm that important these days considering It'll be having the 2.2ghz 4mb L2 cache C2D with 2GB ram...? Not sure... just personally I ALWAYS go for highest spec HDD's when building a rig... as I want this to prefer as fast comparably as a pc... not to have any "oh it's a laptop you know their slower" annoyances about it... So would you say its worth getting the 7200rpm? have any of you guys gamed with a 5400rpm drive and then a 7200rpm? has there been noticable preformance loss/gain? just a thought... If not I might just go for the 240GB 5400rpm as its same extra price as a 7200rpm 160GB...
    Last edited by keef247; 15-10-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks

i agree with the others, vostro is the best price/performance for notebooks...but remember you are still paying a premium for laptop when you compare with desktop...just remember that for all your gaming needs (especially FPS)....

remember to use the phone to buy from dell, it is also mandatory to haggle with dell (it is very intense competition in the notebook market) and internet buying does not let you do that...

as for OS, you can keep using XP Pro or if you like Vista, just get Home Premium should be fine

edit - but make sure if you use XP Pro that dell has all the supported drivers. There is a tread in notebook market not to provide XP drivers for notebooks.

Thanks

IF i decided to run business would it still run everything app/game wise or is it an os like server2003 where some arent compatable?
    cheers.
    as far as haggling what would you advise to say?in detail so I don't end up stranded...

Thanks

application should be fine - vostro is a pretty good performer
    games wise - really depends on what game you are playing...if it is dx10...it will be hard to play but should be "manageable" if you lower lots of the settings (only top end desktop systems can play dx10 games at the moment in nice modes)

as for haggling, try to make them reduce the price, and then get some upgrades for free (e.g. 2gb ram, better hard disk, webcam, business vista, or etc)

if the person you talk to does not want to haggle, hang up and try again with someone who does (although obviously you will waste telephone call costs but use 01 number to minimise)

Thanks

Yes, get the 7200rpm hard disk if you have the money...it WILL be faster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information