Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: uATX build

Thanks

Re: uATX build

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Are clearly going to revoke a negative response. So then saying things like...

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    and your attitude isn't going to get you far...
    Well... so far you have ignored everything i said about the computer i specced because you dont feel that she has the need to spend so much money on a computer that will be for minor activities, not sure where exactly i asked for someone to tell her what she needed or deserved.
    Generally fair points, and I guess I could have been a bit sweeter, but we (I) are not the ones asking for opinions.

You also made the assumption i was pushing her into spending money unnecessarily... no where does it suggest that.
    You mean other than the first post which didn't explain anything and just gave a spec you had appeared to have specced up?

You also tried to make judement on my ability to be a friend to this person, i feel i have the right to take up a certain amount of attitude and feel insulted.
    I didn't try to judge you at all - I pointed out it was a waste of money and that if you were a good friend it would a poor choice (in my opinion) to recommend it to someone you like... if you hated them fair enough.

Also the suggestions you have made have been less than helpful...
    You followed that up yourself by saying you didn't know the requirements. How can we help when we don't know the use? I suggested "What does she do? If she's not number crunching or a gamer then frankly a Celeron will do". Without knowing anything how isn't that helpful? For the record we use a room full of Celerons at work, and they're fine for 95% of 2D work and 99% of home work when gaming isn't involved. I wouldn't recommend them now given the price of the excellent E21x0s, and AMD X2s too, but the principle stands.

If you're going square then I like the look of the SUGO SG01B. Obviously both they and Shuttles restrict you a bit more than a shrunken tower, but they're a bit 'cuter' if you think she'd prefer that. Gives you a bit more flexibility over a Shuttle too (and you can fit in an ATX PSU), so take your pick over which approach you'd like if heading down that route. Obviously disregard all this if you do go ATX though. The Sonata series have always been well regarded, and if it's new PSU included (as in not been lying around for a while, not that it's 2nd hand) then apparently Seasonic are now making some of Antec's PSUs.

I'd reconsider the monitor though - it's just another random gaming monitor - they're not bad, but if you drop that CPU to the E4500 you mentioned (the cache is only really useful in heavy encoding), would a 2007FPW be coming into reach, as that would be infinitely better than the... optimistically specced gaming TFTs?

Might spec something up myself later to give you an alternative approach (so long as you don't read it as me suggesting that you're a poor friend )

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Thanks Unix, Il will price a barebones up for her and show her it to see what she thinks but she didnt seem all that bothered about the case when i spoke to her.
    It is a shame they don't sell Shuttles in PC World any more (I'm sure I saw one once) as I don't think the pictures do them justice and it would be nice to see one. Seeing a uATX next to a Shuttle is kind of like comparing a big alley cat to a kitten

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

it is true, my uATX SFF towers over my shuttle. there incomparable size wise
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

As for that monitor, nice but she ws quite adement that she wanted no larger than a 19"... wierd i know. Is there any better ones than what i suggested for that size on scan?
    I think i may use a shuttle for my media bx eventually bit tight on cash atm though Would a HD2600xt fit in one?

Thanks

No idea. I couldn't recommend any anyway.

HD2600XT should fit in a Shuttle so long as it uses the stock cooler - depending on the Shuttle some won't fit the dual-slot coolers, but they're pretty rare on 2600XTs (I think it's restricted to the those which use passive coolers). Power won't be an issue either, as they're better than 6600GTs. I'm going to be sticking a 2400Pro in my HTPC when I find a one which includes a low-profile bracket.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    No idea. I couldn't recommend any anyway.

HD2600XT should fit in a Shuttle so long as it uses the stock cooler - depending on the Shuttle some won't fit the dual-slot coolers, but they're pretty rare on 2600XTs (I think it's restricted to the those which use passive coolers). Power won't be an issue either, as they're better than 6600GTs. I'm going to be sticking a 2400Pro in my HTPC when I find a one which includes a low-profile bracket.
    I was thinking more of the card sticking out too far backwards not the size of the cooler, although glad u mentioned it cuz the one i was lookin has a dual slot cooler lol. I think i may opt for a desktop case rather than shuttle anyway as it will partly be a media server for films tv proggies music and all my uni work (i study media tech) so will need plenty of hdd space.

Thanks

I got myself the Sapphire 512mb 2600Pro for my main box at work recently, and while I couldn't recommend it directly as the fan's supposed to be a touch on the noisy side (I've a server right next to it, so can't really hear the fan at all), the size of it is pretty standard. I believe it follows the reference design (and most will) if that's any use to you.

Thread Information