• Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Re: uATX build

Well that post wasnt helpful or very pleasant

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    What does she do? If she's not number crunching or a gamer then frankly a Celeron will do.
    Im sorry but who in their right mind would put a celeron in a £500 build. I wouldnt even go AMD its just not worth it when C2D performs so well. Plus how long would a celeron stay fast for(not that it would be fast to begin with)? this PC is designed to keep her going for a number of years, not a few months. Just because she isnt going to game or anything like that doesnt mean she has to have a slow computer.

It's not getting the most for the money, it's getting the best value for the money.
    Well im pretty sure the person who i am buying it for and me are the people who make that decision. The decision was, whats the MOST, so i dont apprciate being corrected.
    Apart from the fact that, if it fits the budget then putting a quadcore in fills both of those criteria. APART FROM THAT, i also said we may end up just going C2D when it comes to the buy.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 21-10-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    I think you would be better off finding out what she wants to use the PC for and go from there. The system you have is unbalanced with the 6600 and no graphics card so I presume there is no gaming involved.

You may want to look at this thread that compares a pre-built Dell with a diy build for the same money.

It is surprising how long a machine will last these days. I still occasionally use a xp2800, 512mb ram, xp pro sp2 machine and it will do MS office, internets, email etc quite happily. Machine in my sig is 2 years old (new hard drive) and will be more than powerful enough to last another 2-3 years for the basics.

Would a pre-built be better value for money and less grief for you (tech support) if her PC has some problems in the future?
    Doesnt really bother me helping out with her computer, got a few mates round here who know what they are talking about. The whole idea with building a PC was to avoid companies like Dell who from my experience are more of a pain in the arse than going to a mates house and helping out with her computer evey now and then.

As i said, i know its unbalanced but the more that can be put in for the £500 the longer it will last.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    Well that post wasnt helpful or very pleasant

Im sorry but who in their right mind would put a celeron in a £500 build. I wouldnt even go AMD its just not worth it when C2D performs so well. Plus how long would a celeron stay fast for(not that it would be fast to begin with)? this PC is designed to keep her going for a number of years, not a few months. Just because she isnt going to game or anything like that doesnt mean she has to have a slow computer.

Well im pretty sure the person who i am buying it for and me are the people who make that decision. The decision was, whats the MOST, so i dont apprciate being corrected.
    Apart from the fact that, if it fits the budget then putting a quadcore in fills both of those criteria. APART FROM THAT, i also said we may end up just going C2D when it comes to the buy.
    Frankly you're in the wrong place if you just want confirmation that what's best for her is what you recommend. If you're posting specs and asking for advice then you're going to get it.

You might want to print this off and give it to her, though I suspect you won't, but if she's not a gamer and she's spending £500 then she's wasting 30% of it.

Even a C2D is a waste. I'd struggle to even recommend an E21xx to be brutally honest. What's coming up that a budget CPU couldn't manage? Seriously? Is t'internet going to be multicore? If you're a real friend, do the right thing, don't do what you've been asked.

4. Received thanks from:

Agent (22-10-2007)

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

I don't see a case in there. Which case are you using?

You should check carefully that your PSU will fit your case. Not all will.

I built up a uATX system back in January using a Silverstone Sugo SG01 Case, and that Targan PSU. In theory the PSU should have fitted in the case, as it was ATX and the case said that it took an ATX PSU. The problem was that the PSU was 17.5cm long and hit the back of the optical drive. In the end I had to replace the PSU with a shorter one that was only 14cm long.

Unfortunately scan don't list the length of the PSUs they stock so you will have to do some googling.

Edit:
    See this thread I started about it.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

corsair.. nice and short

I was going to use the sg01 for my uATX but the HSF restrictions put me off

Thanks

You don't like being corrected?
    Why come to a forum then, asking peoples opinion if you can't take the constructive criticism ? Thats the _entire_ point of forums.

Putting a quad-core in in a waste. Period.
    Simply putting it in because it fits within the budget is doing nothing other than
    a) Wasting money
    b) Convincing her that she has a more powerful system, when the extra power that is there wouldn't be accessible or used by the things she would do.

As i said, i know its unbalanced but the more that can be put in for the £500 the longer it will last.
    With all due respect, that's wrong.
    If its unbalanced now, it will be unbalanced in a few years time. The extra power won't suddenly shine through because there is a new revision of MS word. To make a system last longer you need all the components in it to be more powerful, and more importantly, balanced.
    With the rate of technology these days anyway, and for what shes using it for, it would make very little difference if you got the basic kit, or top end stuff. By the time it doesn't meet her needs, we will have gone through several computing revisions, making the entire planning ahead thing mute.

In all honesty, scrap the system. The components are misfits. Its wasting her money. Building her a quad-core is no different to what you are trying to avoid by going Dell: Selling her a system that's not suited for the task. And sorry to say, but if you do go ahead with the build unchanged, she would have been better going with a Dell.
    Last edited by Agent; 22-10-2007 at 12:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    I was going to use the sg01 for my uATX but the HSF restrictions put me off
    I can reccoment a SG01 case. It is nice compact and stylish.

A stock intel HSF will fit just fine and will be suficent if you don't plan to overclock. Many Zalaman style coolers will also fit if you prefer. I do recomend you get the special cross flow exhust fan that fits between the motherboard I/O sockets and the PSU to draw heat from the PSU out of the case.

If you get the overclocking bug later then there is always the option to fit water cooling.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

why is no-one listening to what im saying. She wants to spend £500 on a computer, im not forcing her to spend more than she needs to... i appriciate the advice in saying 'what your getting is overkill' but i dont appriciate people telling me/suggesting im a bad friend because im not convincing her to spend less than she wants. If anyone has suggestions on fixing up a system that would be better suited FOR THE BUDGET SET REGARDLESS OF WETHER IT IS WASTING MONEY, then i am open to suggestions which is why i posted on a forum.
    I wanted advice on:
    1. wether it would work ok (ie power requirements, componant conflicts etc)
    2. if the psu/case combo wud be ok
    3. any other build suggestions.
    I did not post on here to have my loyalty as a friend judged and to be made to look like a fool.
    Did i say putting a quad in there isnt a waste? no i didnt, i said i know it is BUT this is how much money is to be spent and i happened to make a quad fit. I ALSO SAID WHEN IT COMES TO THE BUY WE MAY NOT GO THAT WAY ANYWAY.

The critisim i got was hardly constructive as it didnt really help me in any way. Your telling me that she doesnt need to spend that amount of money on a computer... like i dont already know that. My point is SHE WANTS TOO. im not some daft PC world employer convincing someone to spend more money than she intended on stuff she doesnt need, i have been asked to get the most out of £500 which is what i have done.

Now instead of slating the decision i made based on the guidelines i was given and telling me to force my friend into spending less money than she wants, can i have some ACTUAL CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS about the mobo/ram/cpu decision. I cant see that having a system that is balanced more towards CPU and RAM would actually cause a problem but if you can balance up the componants i would be glad to read through it and consider it...

Thanks everyone about the case/cooling i will call scan before i order and double check that the PSU i order fits the case. I think we will probs go with stock HSF although if we do drop down to DC or whatever then the spare budget could go on a half decent cooler.

After talking to her about what she will use the computer for it turns out that they will be some light photo manipulation and large spreadsheet/database use as she is in accounting atm.
    Last edited by Biscuit; 22-10-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

^ Unfortunately your OP didn't say that. If she is unwilling to follow advice from someone such as yourself who knows what they are on about and the knowledgeable people on Hexus who like to see people get a good deal then she deserves no more than to be pointed in the direction of PCWorld.

1. Yes
    2. Yes.
    3 see rest of thread.

With the £100-150 she could save she could buy a top line processor in a couple of years time if she wants it to last.

I'd print the thread out and show her.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks

if she's going to do "light photo manipulation" get a much cheaper cpu and get a much better monitor if she's that desperate to spend her full budget.

are you sure she wouldn't be happy getting a perfectly good system for much less and having extra money to spend on something else?

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Well the thing is if you get something from PC world Dell etc, you pay for the operating system and a package of unnecissary software aswell. She already has legit copys from her previous computer that she is happy to use so it would be a waste there. There is always the most obvious selling point to a home built computer in that YOU KNOW which parts are in there so you know that they are up to scratch and your more likely to be able to problem solve if there is an issue rather than sending the entire thing back to be blabbed at by some idiot techy who doesnt really know what he is on about & treats u like u dont know what ur on about.

What im trying to say to people who for some reason have decided to make this personal against me, is that she wants a computer that will be fast, regardless of wether she will use it or not... It may turn out she decides to start video editing, i dont know and tbh i dont really care, its her decision to want to spend a certain amount of money on a computer. I have already agreed that a quad is way overkill so just SHUT UP about it and stop missing the point that... it doesnt matter to me so it shouldnt matter to you and we probably wont use it anyway.

Il reorder the specification to stop people moaning about it being overboard.

You have £500 budget to build a computer that will be used mainly for day to day things, music, video, internet, office. Some photoshop work may be done. The computer needs to stay usable for a few years. A graphics card and copy of windows is already present.

I was considering bumping the monitor up to a better quality one... something i may have to discuss with her but i welcome any ideas.

I think part of the reason she is wanting to hit that budget is her parents are offering up the cash
    Last edited by Biscuit; 22-10-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks

What im trying to say to people who for some reason have decided to make this personal against me, is that she wants a computer that will be fast, regardless of wether she will use it or not... It may turn out she decides to start video editing, i dont know and tbh i dont really care, its her decision to want to spend a certain amount of money on a computer. I have already agreed that a quad is way overkill so just SHUT UP about it and stop missing the point that... it doesnt matter to me so it shouldnt matter to you and we probably wont use it anyway.
    We're not making it personal. We're saying that if you really wanted to help her, this is what we feel you should do - it's what we'd do in that same situation. It's hardly an attack on you, and your attitude isn't going to get you far...

If photo work is one of the main criteria, then then iranu's suggestion of getting a lower CPU and getting a better (ie. non-gaming) monitor will be best. You never mentioned that before. We can't recommend much if we don't know its purpose.

Thanks

Bumping up the monitor is the best way to help her spend her money. Get her as much monitor real estate as you can afford. That way she will probably use her monetary outlay rather than very little power on a quad core.
    Not around too often!

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Well to be quite honest Gav so far i put specifications down which where, as i expected, told to be overkill. Not a problem i was kind of expecting that, but the usual way of things on here as i have known it so far is for people to then give constructive suggestions on how to reorder the system to fit the bill. I cant EVER remember a time where rude and condescending language became a part of helping someone.

Comments like...

then you've got your bases hopelessly wrong. There's a sweet spot, but it sounds like you're a million miles from it.
    You might want to print this off and give it to her, though I suspect you won't
    If you're a real friend, do the right thing, don't do what you've been asked.
    Are clearly going to revoke a negative response. So then saying things like...

and your attitude isn't going to get you far...
    Well... so far you have ignored everything i said about the computer i specced because you dont feel that she has the need to spend so much money on a computer that will be for minor activities, not sure where exactly i asked for someone to tell her what she needed or deserved. You also made the assumption i was pushing her into spending money unnecessarily... no where does it suggest that. You also tried to make judement on my ability to be a friend to this person, i feel i have the right to take up a certain amount of attitude and feel insulted.

Also the suggestions you have made have been less than helpful...
    What does she do? If she's not number crunching or a gamer then frankly a Celeron will do.
    ok so i/we didnt know the full requirements of the pc but i wouldn't ever in my right mind suggest a celeron to anyone unless they where on a real tight budget. The fact of the matter is C2 are very good processers regardless of their workload, when a £500 budget is there, 90% of the time thats what goes in. For the money nowerdays, may as well be dual core... who knows whats waiting round the corner where she may benefit from this. I don't see how anyone can argue with 'if you got the money & want to spend it, may as well leave head-room'

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    You don't like being corrected?
    Why come to a forum then, asking peoples opinion if you can't take the constructive criticism ? Thats the _entire_ point of forums.
    If you have some critism, i will had have listen, in my first reply i stated that we may change from QC to DC for this reason so again, no need for such a rude reply. I made it quite clear what i didnt want to be corrected on and that was NOT the spec itself

b) Convincing her that she has a more powerful system, when the extra power that is there wouldn't be accessible or used by the things she would do.
    again, wheres this come from?

In all honesty, scrap the system. The components are misfits. Its wasting her money. Building her a quad-core is no different to what you are trying to avoid by going Dell: Selling her a system that's not suited for the task. And sorry to say, but if you do go ahead with the build unchanged, she would have been better going with a Dell.
    Im not avoiding dell because they couldnt give her something to fit the task, im sure what they would give her would fit it more closely to what she needed, fact of the matter is i can build her more than she needs for the same/less money and im happy to provide 1 on 1 technical support with it.

Now can we please stop all this putting me down because its not what i signed up for on this forum, all i expected was some pleasant useful suggestions. If i wanted a ballache i would have gone to PC world or the typical local PC shop and asked for advice.
    Are you going to tell me that because the computer is CPU/RAM biased that it will be more likely to problems than a computer from Dell? Im not being sarcastic btw, seriously will it cause problems?

I think the final decision has gone to a C2D either E6750 or E4500(something like that anyway) Changed the mobo to an ABIT IP35 and she said she wasnt to bothered about it being uATX, so the case/psu to the Sonata 3 with the 500w supply (read some good reviews, any opinions?), changed the monitor to a 19" wide LG one with better contrast ratio(she doesnt want a really big monitor). and the final price was just over 500.

Thanks to all for suggestions
    Last edited by Biscuit; 23-10-2007 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Ditch the big 24litres of uATX case and upgrade to a Shuttle. At 138 quid it is a bit more than the case+psu+mobo you had before, but not that much. At 11litres and a much more classy finish, she should love the Shuttle.

There is an nforce4 chipset version with better sound and gigabit lan which is 158 quid, or if you must have Intel there is one that will take a 4xxx series for 160 but that seems a bit dead end. At least the AMD ones should take a quad or triple core when Phenom finally bothers to show and it sounds like an energy efficient X2 would be more than enough for her needs.

Sadly the good Intel based Shuttles are 221 quid, which I think makes them rather overpriced.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Thanks Unix, Il will price a barebones up for her and show her it to see what she thinks but she didnt seem all that bothered about the case when i spoke to her.

Thread Information