Thread: CPU - Bodged CD drive - Ignoring me

Thanks

CPU - Bodged CD drive - Ignoring me

I have 2 problems.

(1) CPU - bodged
    So it was my first PC.and i had been advised 2 build 1 as it was cheaper and better. So i got a m8 to do it as i was a n00b.
    it was great. everything was workin except every time i started a program (like a game or sumthin) it crashed after about 30 seconds and that evil blue screen appeared (i cant exactly remember wot it said but at the end there was sumthin bout dumping physical memory)
    So the m8 that built it underclocked the cpu. It worked fine but was running at way below wot it should av been.
    ok heres the specs :
    CPU-
    AMD Athlon "thoroughbread" XP 2600+ 333FSB (socket A) CPU
    MOBO-
    Epox 8RDA+ nForce2 (socket A) Motherboard
    (Artic Silver 3 thermal compound)

heres wot its running at now-
    CPU Real Clock: 1800 MHz x (144x12.5)
    Memory frequency set at 144MHz

it should be at 166Mhz!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Help!!!!!

(2) This is kinda smaller
    at first my CD-ROM drive is woking fine but 1 day i put a disc in nothing happens. (it just says please insert a disc in to drive when i click on CD drive)
    so i try a load of other discs still nothing!!!!!

Samsung SC-152AEBB 52x CD-ROM

Please Help!!!!!!!!!

thnx

Thanks
    What temp is/was the CPU running at?

Thanks
    about 40-45 wen playing games about 50 that was with the cpu real clock at (100x12.5)
    (100mhz)

now with it at 144x12.5 its at about 50+ just with no programs running
    but (i hope this dont sound stupid) i think the weather (heat) is contributing to the temparture

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Originally posted by Cesium
    about 40-45 wen playing games about 50 that was with the cpu real clock at (100x12.5)
    (100mhz)

now with it at 144x12.5 its at about 50+ just with no programs running
    but (i hope this dont sound stupid) i think the weather (heat) is contributing to the temparture
    doesnt sound stupid at all mate. recently there have been loads of threads from overlclockers complaining about the heat. If its hot you really shoul back your machine down a bit.

My rig see sig was left on for six hours the other day and it reset but consdiering the lack of case fans thats not too bad lol

Panzer Division Marduk PanzerKnight's Avatar
    Thanks
    try different memory, nf2 boards can be picky when it comes to mem

Thanks
    which would u recommend

Thanks
    Originally posted by Cesium
    which would u recommend
    Well Crucial is normally quite a safe bet, so is Corsair if you can afford it

Thanks
    k i might give it a try.

got ne solutions 4 ma other problem

Thanks
    Just a thought. Try swapping the IDE connection for the CD-Rom, swap it for something or put it another slot, this would involve playin with jumpers etc....if that works then you know its not the disk drive itself that is the problem.

Thanks
    #1. Nforce2 boards are no more picky with memory than any other type of mobo imho. Less picky than with some chipsets. However of all the possibly things that it could be (someone mentioned heat above, though that would be way down my list for a 2600+) memory is perhaps the most likely.

It would be useful to know how things are set up in the Bios. My yahoo search for abit bios screens is taking too long, so we are going to have to settle for this. I'll ask in the article forum what happened to the pictures, but you should manage from the text.

Right, 101 of how to diagnose the limiting factor of your system:
    a) Disable all the crud you arnt going to be using - disable SATA, USB2 support, remove any PCI cards that could be installed later such as TV cards.

b) Start with the memory timings at Cas3 (and lower the other timings too) [you will need to post back if you get stuck on how to do any of the individual points - the link above should help]

2b) in fact, if still having trouble, remove one of the sticks of ram, just leaving 1 in bank 1 for now.

c) Check that your not so expert mate hasnt fiddled with any of the voltages - no more than 1.65 for the cpu, 2.9 for mem - cant remember chipset off the top of my head.

d) Start with the cpu at the same notch you know that currently works - 144bus, but check to see that the memory is at 3/3 sinc with the fsb (or 4/4 5/5 etc)

e) After confirming that you can still boot after all your bios fiddling, now increase the fsb speed in notches of 5 or so. If it works at 166, then now tightten up the memory timings down to cas 2/2.5 memory timings of 2,5,2,2 (not sure if the NF7s has them in that order off the top of my head) are ideal, but for the testing purposes above you will have had them at 3,8,3,3

f) What if it still doesnt get past 144fsb even though I've only got only an AGP card plugged in, the memory lowered and have checked that the fsb is 1:1 with memory which is at lowered timings and I've tried only 1 stick at once?

Try changing the cpu multiplier. Reduce it to lower the cpu speed and then try increasing the fsb. That way you can pretty much rule out the cpu as the limiting factor. Separating the chipset maximum fsb vs the memory is trickier.

You will need to post back describing how windows behaves when booting at different increments of fsb. Its highly unlikely that at 144fsb you will be 100% stable, but at 146fsb you cant even post. There will be some middle ground.

I've not had much luck googling for abit NF7s bios screenies but there will be plenty out there if anyone has can find some?
    Edit: Ugh, you be using an Epox, but all the above terminology still applies.
    Pictures still b0rked for me ->http://www.hexus.co.uk/review.php?review=465&page=5
    Last edited by Trickle; 09-08-2003 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks
    i only have 1 stick of 512 ram

Thanks
    Have you tried dropping the cpu multiplier, the mem timings and coaxing the fsb a bit higher than 144 yet?

Thanks
    nope but ill give it a try

anybody else please help more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Its not a case of needing to help more, you have enough to test already

Computers simply dont just work perfect 100% reliable at a certain fsb, and then suddenly refuse to even post at an increment of 1fsb higher. How it behaves when you nudge the fsb higher will usually tell you where the fault lies.

Thanks
    ok

but my cd-rom thing, its really p***ing me off now

Thread Information