• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

What to go for?

My current system is as follows:

Motherboard: ASRock 939A8X-M
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    RAM: 1.5GB DDR (PC3200)
    Graphics: GeForce 5200 128MB

Needless to say, I am jealous about the vastly superior systems that others have, and thus want to get another, more powerful PC (though I would most likely still KVM with this), though I must admit I am slightly annoyed, since this PC cost me approximately £500 last year (June/July sort of time), but is too out of date to be able to handle what I really want to do.

The main question I have really, is what processor to have.

I am torn between going for an AMD system - X2 6000+ (or maybe 6400+ Black Edition) or a Intel system - Q6600.

The main reason being that I want it to be something that is not out of date so quickly like my current system (current system only has one core, yet now you are able to get quad cores!), so is something that should hopefully keep me happy for at least 3 years (though I'd probably be happy enough to add extra RAM in future if needed).

One particular use for it would of course be gaming, so if you could advise me what graphics card too, then that'd be appreciated

My goal would be to most likely start off with Windows XP, and possibly upgrade later to (perhaps when the Service Pack comes out and there are better reviews etc.) Windows Vista Ultimate.

This wouldn't be a self-build however (I really wouldn't trust myself to do it to be honest), I would most likely be buying a pre-built system, which would include about 2GB of RAM, 450W PSU and be in a midi-tower case.

So should there be any issues with fitting any graphics cards in there, or with cooling etc.?

Another thing is that if I were to get a bit more confident, I would possibly even consider actually overclocking it, but with it being in a midi-tower case, would there be able to be sufficient room for extra cooling (if needed)?

Like I said above, one particular use would be gaming, so I would want to be able to play the latest games with ease, as well as possibly using my PC to watch HD-DVDs (if I decide to get a drive of course).

(Side note, would it be likely that if I wanted to record what was happening on my 360, that the graphics card would include a component input, or would it be an input that would only be on a TV card?)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read all this, and I thank you in advance for any recommendations that can be provided

Thanks
    • WannaPiEcE's system
      • Motherboard:
      • BIOSTAR TA790GX 128M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 940BE @ 3500 1.375v
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 @ CAS 5
      • Storage:
      • WD SATA 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2xSapphire 4870 1GB - Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300 All fans populated
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate x64 & X86 dual-boot
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Acer HDMI 1920x1080

Re: What to go for?

Last edited by WannaPiEcE; 13-11-2007 at 06:20 AM.

Thanks
    • excalibur2's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z77-d3h
      • CPU:
      • Intel 2500k @4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2X4gb Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • WD 2tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750
      • Case:
      • Haf-x tower
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell u2410
      • Internet:
      • broadband with Plusnet

It's fun building a computer yourself and you can get all the help from Hexus from what parts to choose (or recommendations) to any problems you might encounter.

Computer parts are so realible now that for every problem that is posted on Hexus there is probably a 1000 persons who have success.
    2nd computer gigabyte P965ds3p, 7770 E2140@2.9ghz, corsair HX520 6 years stable, replaced now with E8400@3.9ghz and will overclock more when I'm bored.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

As others have said, self build is not difficult, and allows you to tailor the computer to your exact needs. The downside is that if some of the components don't work so well together, it is down to you to sort it, however doing research and asking for advice here (and there have been LOTS of threads asking for advice on proposed systems - worth looking at those) minimises that risk. The other advantage is that you know exactly what is in your machine and you can (to some extent) future-proof it by building in potential upgrade paths.

That said, any computer you build now will be 'out of date' in 6 or 9 months. That of course doesn't mean that it won't continue to do what you want, but the pace of development is such that there will always be something faster/smaller/cooler/(more expensive! ) round the corner. Conversely, building somkething with components that are not quite state opf the art will still give you spomething very good, but at reduced cost.

It can be cheaper to buy ready made (some Dells offer good value for money for example, and you have the advantage of suypport) but you are stuck with what the vendor is offering. Some system builders will build to your spec, and again you get some support/warranty - but you don't get the satisfaction of knowing that you did it, and how it ticks. (Which may not matter to you)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks for the advice everyone, the main reason I was saying that it'd not be likely to be a self-build, would be because I have seen systems for sale comprising of those processors, for less than it appears it would cost to self-build.

I do admit though, that self-building is one thing that I want to be able to do someday, since I really would want to be able to know that my PC is made up of everything I chose myself, but my main worry is whether I really could do it, due to my poor eyesight.

All of the points made are of course valid though, and I will keep them in mind when deciding exactly what I will end up doing (and I will indeed make sure to keep reading various other threads here), I guess another option could be to ask a family member who is familiar with self-building to build it for me if I get the components myself.

As soon as I posted it, I did realise that the 'at least 3 years' was something that was extremely unlikely, since I am aware that the world of technology moves at a blisteringly fast pace, but I guess I hoped that maybe there was some secret

Anyway, thank you all for your input

Thread Information