Thread: need fine tuning advice

Registered+
    Thanks

need fine tuning advice

Hi guys, i have gotten my new pc up and running smoothly now, I would like some advice on tweaking the bios settings if possible, to fine tune the sytem optimally, but not necessarily overclock it at this point.

the hardware i need to optimise:

Abit NF7-S v2.0 nForce2 (Socket A)
    AMD Athlon "Barton" XP2500+ 333FSB
    Corsair 512MB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x256MB) Platinum CAS2

basically how should I set the fsb, the memory timings etc, and get the memory working at correct ddr rating. mobo has latest bios installed by the way, any advice MUCH appreciated.

Thanks
    I guess that is a locked BARTON?
    Put the RAM into dual channel mode by putting it in slots 2 and 3 on the motherboard - that is the furthest 2 from the CPU. you will know it is dual channel as it says on the BIOS screen. Set the RAM timings to 11-3-3-2, save and reboot. Then start overclocking.

You want to aim for 200fsb as this is what you RAM is rated at pc3200 = 400mhz (divide 2 as its DDR) thats 200. Increase the fsb to 200 by 10 incriments and test for stability, if it isnt stable, or doesnt boot you probably need to increase the voltage on the CPU. Only go up in little stages 0.025 is advisable.

You should find 200fsb easy to obtain with that set up. Once you get there run loops of 3dmark to test for stability, memtest86, and prime95 are also good tests to stress the system. If it passes all these tests you know that it will handle anything you throw at it.

What cooling are you using? and case? as you may find that your overclock may be limited by heat causing instability.

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks again blockers...
    1: not sure if its locked or unlocked, its an OEM i picked up about 2 months ago from overclockers.co.uk
    2: ram slots are ok.. where do i add those timings in bios, and what are the titles relating to each number ie. CAS latency etc?
    3: i got 2 case fans and the AMD fan that came with the processor, no funky cooling yet.. will I be ok? the case is a centurion, aluminium
    4: im a bit of a newbie to all this.. is it quite obvious to see in the bios when setting fsb to 200?

Thanks
    no problemo.

Have you put the computer together yet? if it isnt too much hassle if you take the HSF off the CPU and note the code that is on a black sticker. Write down the entire thing and post it here, people will be able to tell you if it is locked.

If it is unlocked you can lower the muipler. Lower the multipler to 9 and increase the fsb to 200. 9x200 would give a clock speed on 1.8ghz which is roughly the same as default so it should not involve any more volts. Once you are at 200fsb start to increase the mutlipler, this will bring the clock speed up, and will probably require more volts. Keeping raising the multipler and if you get to 12x200 (2.4ghz) raise the fsb more as that RAM will go past defaults happily. When increasingly the volts do it by small incriments, and its not advisable to go above 1.8v. Basically the lower you can keep the volts the cooler itll be.

If the process is locked just increase the fsb.

All of the clock settings are in the CPU menu (top left) as well as the voltages.

The RAM settings are the 3rd or 4th one down, cant remember off the top of my head once you find them change the setting from By SPD to expert then manually set them to 11-3-3-2 in that order. The last is the CAS, dont know the others...Just put them in that order from top to bottom and youll be fine

Cooling sounds ok, what kind of PSU have you got?

Will
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Registered+
    Thanks
    cool ty blockers, will give it a try in a bit, although i dont fancy taking the processor apart now, took me a while to get it in! psu is an enermax 430W so plenty of power

thanks again

Thread Information