Thread: Post locking up

Thanks

Post locking up

I've just been installing Vista 64 on my two week old new build and part way through when it needed to restart the Post screen stoped just after it picked up the CPU (Q6600 at stock settings). (It did go thorough it after a couple of attempts and power cycling the PSU input but has stopped again.) There is no responce (I don't think it's far enough in for any PS/2 USB stuff to be turned on.) There are no beeps, resetting the Cmos didn't fix the problem, I've pulled the SATA devices as well then the GFX card 8800GT, that at least caused a bleep from the system (so the internal speeker is working). I pulled 3 sticks of ram so far and the system still hangs at the same point. If I swap out that last stick (Right pain as the GFX car has to come out who designed that?) then it dosn't leave much other than the CPU and MB, presumably the latter is more probably the cause? Memory controller from where it is hanging? It's just a shame I don't have any way of testing the GPU and CPU seperatly.

I don't want to be RMAing more than I need.

MB is a
    ECS 650i SLIT-A

Ram
    DDR2TWINX 4x1GB

Thanks

Re: Post locking up

Has it been working normally for the past 2 weeks or shown any irregularities? Did you change anything in BIOS or thru a windows BIOS utility right before this issue?

Have u checked for any BIOS updates and check supported CPU for your BIOS revision, just in case.

Can you borrow any kindof low end VGA card to see if it can boot fine?

Download MEMTEST and try to boot this from CD/USB, as it bypasses your OS, if you can remove the last stick of RAM and try using one in another slot, to rule out a dodgy slot. (possibly remove all drives except the cd/dvd if ur using this to boot off)

Other things:
    What rating of PSU are you using? (we assume u have the 4pin plug in as well, there has been recently a spate of people posting who have left this off!!)
    Is the CPU fan spinning on bootup? Sometimes power managements turn it down and the board wont bootup.

Thanks

Re: Post locking up

Quote Originally Posted by rabbid View Post
    Has it been working normally for the past 2 weeks or shown any irregularities? Did you change anything in BIOS or thru a windows BIOS utility right before this issue?
    It's been running fine, I turned off the on bord LAN and Sound befor doing the Vista install, as I have heard they can be problimatic during the instilation.

Have u checked for any BIOS updates and check supported CPU for your BIOS revision, just in case.
    It seems to have the latest Bios not that it's booting far enough to up date it.

Can you borrow any kindof low end VGA card to see if it can boot fine?
    Unfortunatly I only have AGP cards spare.

Download MEMTEST and try to boot this from CD/USB, as it bypasses your OS, if you can remove the last stick of RAM and try using one in another slot, to rule out a dodgy slot. (possibly remove all drives except the cd/dvd if ur using this to boot off)
    It's not getting through the POST screen so I can't run anyting.

Other things:
    What rating of PSU are you using? (we assume u have the 4pin plug in as well, there has been recently a spate of people posting who have left this off!!)
    Is the CPU fan spinning on bootup? Sometimes power managements turn it down and the board wont bootup.
    620W The 4 pin is in place (at both ends (modular PSU)) as is the 6 pin PCI-E, all the fans spin up as expected.

Thread Information