Thread: need some help asap

Registered+
    Thanks

need some help asap

hi i hope someone can help with this, just built a new system, nforce2 board, all seems well apart from my hdd, its a maxtor 120gb SATA, and its connected and powered, on boot up its listed as a device, in the bios its set to auto, did a low level format using the raid setup on the mobo, so i'm pretty sure the system knows its there. when booting from an XP cd to install windows, XP is reporting that no hdd is present so the install just ends there, whats goin on?

Thanks
    IIRC you have to install the sata drivers before WinXP will see d havthe drive. You shoule got a floppy disk witht he drivers on it with your mobo, when you start the XP install press F6 to install the drivers at the begining (it'll ask you to at the bottom of the screen)

Registered+
    Thanks
    hmm, found that but no such luck, the driver went on ok but windows setup still thinks theres no hdd, i looked in the bios and it seems to think that there is no primary hdd, auto detect doesn't seem to pick it up so is listed as none in the bios, weird as the maxtor details show up on initial boot, and the raid utility bios sees it too, any other ideas? this one has got me stumped

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K with Scythe Shuriken
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 670 2GB OC Power Edition
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Quote Originally Posted by savalas
    hmm, found that but no such luck, the driver went on ok but windows setup still thinks theres no hdd, i looked in the bios and it seems to think that there is no primary hdd, auto detect doesn't seem to pick it up so is listed as none in the bios, weird as the maxtor details show up on initial boot, and the raid utility bios sees it too, any other ideas? this one has got me stumped
    What you are seeing in the BIOS is just the PATA IDE devices, not the SATA ones.

Are you sure you loaded the drivers for the Windows setup properly? ala Press F6 when it asks to you, to load the drivers, then when it asks again, press S and select the right drive from the disk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by savalas
    It should def see it when you put the floppy disk in, after pressing F6 when prompted, and choosing the correct driver for win2k - make sure you press "S" I think to Specify the correct driver - it's exactly the same procedure that us poor SCSI users have had to put up with for a long time.

Thread Information