Thread: Black Screen ???.

Thanks

Unhappy Black Screen ???.

Help,

My computer appears to turn itself off suddenly leaving me with a black screen, I have to switch off to do a reboot.

On rebooting, I then get a white desktop showing all icons and asking me if I want to go to safe mode, when I click ok I am then
    able to relogon for a while.

Until I get a repeat again, no viruses as I am aware after running two virus checkers.

Anyone able to help thanks.

Harry.
    ) "Tact"?, "Wot Tact"?, "I thought that was something u nailed in a carpet". )

Success, can be the result of many Failures,
    and believe me, I should know I have enough.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    Sounds like the processor could be overheating. Once it reaches a certain temperature the system automatically shuts down to prevent it getting damaged. Check the cpu fan and make sure its running correct.

Also could be the memory timings, If that is overclocked it can cause some strange anomalies.

If the system has been working fine and its just started doing this the bios might have lost its settings and may need setting up again. If it keeps losing the settings the cmos battery may need replacing on the mainboard.

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    Ati card?

Thanks

Black Screen

Ferral,

Temperature between 48c. to 50c.
    No overclocking.
    M/Board new this year so Battery should be fine.

As for Bios not got a clue really ?.

System.
    MSI GA-7VAXP
    Amd. 2000+
    Cooling Rated @ 2800 Pro.
    G3 Ti 200 64DDR.
    Kingston 512 2700
    Sony 106s Cd. Rom
    Teac W540e R/Wr.
    Iomega 250 Zip
    Maxtor 80Gb. 7200 8Mb. cache
    300 W. PSU.
    OS. Win. XP. Pro

Thanks for your reply.
    Harry.
    Last edited by HarryOatcake; 20-12-2003 at 02:25 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    either ur graphics card or most likely ur motherboard could be causing the problems

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    I tell you what it sounds like, computing going into power saving, to be honest, because the fact that you reboot the computer and it detects its been shut down while on.

Check your monitor power saving settings to make sure its not decided to power off after 1 min of non activaty and you monitor isn't energy compliant?

Not certain but something to rule out imo
    TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity
    Sounds like your graphics card, my current one (leadtek geforce ti 4800se) made my computer do the same thing, it went black, then came on again, then blacked out again, and had to restart. If you have an old gfx card try it, see if the problem goes away.

Thanks
    doubt its gfx card, deludedguy it soulds like your monitor cable might be loose?

HarryOatcake i had exactly the same problem with my mobo (the most likely cause for that symptom) when i was overclocking my cpu. the black screen happens when the mobos over voltage protection turns on casuing the rest of the pc to stay on but the cpu and most of the mobo will go off. this could be caused y the motherboard if it is old - you might want to have a look at the capacitors on it (big circle thingys) and check none are leaking. the psu is also likely to be the cause if its under too much load and that will also cause more stress on the motherboard.

there is nothing much you can do to fix any of it execpt buying a new more powerfull psu (aviod qtecs or anything cheap with rating over 350w, and aviod everything below 350w aswell - scan.co.uk have some very good quality CWT psus, ive ordered a 550w one that should arrive monday )
    if you didnt build the pc yourself it might be good idea to check with the person or shop or manufacturere that did to see what is still under warrenty (how long have you had it - most stufff is covered for a year or two) and then id suggest replacement mobo. if yours isnt under warrenty its probly best to take it to a shop to see if they can find hte cause - aviod pc world!. imo its best to goto small shops - the sort that buiild there own pc's, there should be a few advertising in your local paper/friday ad. most of the people in small shops lack the selling skills requirered to trick the unknowegable into buying stuff they dont need, and usually are much more helpfull. i dont know if shops charge for cheking hardware but i expect some will...
    if you need a new motherboard dabs sell a good one based on nforce2 for £40 manufacturerd by biostar, i think they have it under there brand on there site though.
    for your pc could also recommend a K7S5A mobo due to it being good performace and very good stability. ive got two of these in other pcs. the only bad thing about the k7s5a is it has no overclocking options in its officail bios and i dont know about the unofficial ones though they give a few options for FSB.

if you have motherboardmonitor5 installed look at the voltage for cpu, ram, +5, +12 and +3.3v with the cpu under no load and under full load (torture test of prime 95 is good for that). if the voltages drop a lot (+12 will/should drop more than the others and isnt very important. +5 and 3.3 are though)
    if you havent got either of those programs they should be easy to find on google as they are used by a lot of people

also dont change any bios settings - i did this on my nf7-s and it blackscreened just as it saved = bios corruption. this makes moo useless unless you can get the bios chip reflashed.

hope that helps

Thanks
    Thanks,
    to all Hexus members who submitted there suggestions as to my Black Screen problem.
    All is resolved now.
    And is displayed in my signature.
    Harry

Thread Information