Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8800GT third-party coolers

Thanks

Re: 8800GT third-party coolers

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    £150 GT or £180 GTS. Whoever hits those figures first by the time I start my build in the coming month gets my money.
    512MB 8800GT is already £138, and that looks like a custom cooler on there too.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinJim View Post
    You should probably post a link to that £185 new 8800GTS in the Bargains forum. I haven't seen them for less than £207.
    Well...a decent GT is going to set you back at least £175-£185 i think you will find.
    You can obviously get an 'el cheapo' GT for £160-170 but then thats a probable false economy anyway so your sarcasm is not very well researched

512MB 8800GT is already £138, and that looks like a custom cooler on there too.
    I rest my case.
    You try RMAing that card and see how far you get.
    Also, do you seriously think that is a third party cooler? Its a VERY cheap fan cooler that has been used to keep the price down. As poor as the cooling is on the GT, that one is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Truth is, there is no telling if I would be satisfied with the GTS stock cooler either. It's supposed to be overall better both noise/performance wise. But whether it is good enough for my noise requirement may be another matter.

£150 GT or £180 GTS. Whoever hits those figures first by the time I start my build in the coming month gets my money.
    The coolers on the new GTS run every bit as silent as the old GTS's (which were exceptional for noise supression).
    The cooling is excellent aswell......i have just got the EVGA 8800GTS G92 and under load does not exceed 58 degrees.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

How much did you pay for your new GTS then?

A 8800GT with third party cooling (Accelero S1 + turbo module / decent fan, or Thermaltake ND1) Can be had for £195-200. This is a setup which is readily available for that price, with many places stocking it. Take the Palit into consideration, and you're looking at £155-160.

You find us a 8800GTS 512Mb for £205 or less (so it's a comparable price), from a good name brand that's considered to have good warranty returns proceedure that's in stock and then we'll talk.

The Palit might not be an amazing third party cooler, but it is a third party cooler none the less, and I'd expect it'll do better than the stock set-up. It's an amazing price and something that can easily be replaced with even a thermalright HR3 GT given it's price point, should you desire, for the cost of a standard Asus/EVGA or equivalent brand -I'd go with the Palit everytime with the Thermalright GR3 GT

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    How much did you pay for your new GTS then?

A 8800GT with third party cooling (Accelero S1 + turbo module / decent fan, or Thermaltake ND1) Can be had for £195-200. This is a setup which is readily available for that price, with many places stocking it. Take the Palit into consideration, and you're looking at £155-160.

You find us a 8800GTS 512Mb for £205 or less (so it's a comparable price), from a good name brand that's considered to have good warranty returns proceedure that's in stock and then we'll talk.

The Palit might not be an amazing third party cooler, but it is a third party cooler none the less, and I'd expect it'll do better than the stock set-up. It's an amazing price and something that can easily be replaced with even a thermalright HR3 GT given it's price point, should you desire, for the cost of a standard Asus/EVGA or equivalent brand -I'd go with the Palit everytime with the Thermalright GR3 GT
    ditto with cptwhite.. I have yet seen a GTS 512MB from a reputable seller on a reputable manufacturer going under 200-210 squids..

You mentioned about the low price Palit having a tough time RMAing.. well, if you DID find a 185 squid GTS, then you'll probably have the same problem too... If everyone is selling for 200+, what makes that particular seller so special that he can sell them for 185 quid? There has to be a catch.. something along the lines of overclockers.. woops.. sensitive issue.. I'll shut up
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    • LuckyNV's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI GD65
      • CPU:
      • i5 750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB DDR3-1600 Cas7
      • Storage:
      • 640GB.AAKS, 2xSamsung F1 1TB, 2xSamsung 64GB SLC SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD6870 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF-932
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2286L
      • Internet:
      • Be* Unlimited@21Mbps w/ Draytek 2710n

Quote Originally Posted by sawyen View Post
    ditto with cptwhite.. I have yet seen a GTS 512MB from a reputable seller on a reputable manufacturer going under 200-210 squids..

You mentioned about the low price Palit having a tough time RMAing.. well, if you DID find a 185 squid GTS, then you'll probably have the same problem too... If everyone is selling for 200+, what makes that particular seller so special that he can sell them for 185 quid? There has to be a catch.. something along the lines of overclockers.. woops.. sensitive issue.. I'll shut up
    Ebuyer sell Inno3D, PoV and PNY GTS 512MB for under £210, whether you think they are "reputable manufacturers" or not is up to you. I do know that Inno3D warranty is 2 year with the place of purchase, and Ebuyer have confirmed they honour it. PNY warranty is very good too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Well...a decent GT is going to set you back at least £175-£185 i think you will find.
    You can obviously get an 'el cheapo' GT for £160-170 but then thats a probable false economy anyway so your sarcasm is not very well researched
    £163 delivered for a 660/1900 MSI 8800GT with two games bundled is what I FOUND AND BOUGHT from eBuyer over a month ago. Sounds like you haven't been following these things. Perhaps next time you should do some research.

And I haven't been closely following 512MB 8800GTS prices, I'd only checked them once or twice in the past few weeks, and not found one for under £207. I thought you might have found a reasonable price for one. Your idiocy is not very well researched.

Edit: forgot this bit.
    You try RMAing that card and see how far you get.
    Also, do you seriously think that is a third party cooler? Its a VERY cheap fan cooler that has been used to keep the price down. As poor as the cooling is on the GT, that one is even worse.
    Sounds like you haven't read any reviews of the thing. Your statements are not very well researched.

The coolers on the new GTS run every bit as silent as the old GTS's (which were exceptional for noise supression).
    The cooling is excellent aswell......i have just got the EVGA 8800GTS G92 and under load does not exceed 58 degrees.
    Hmmm, sounds tempting. I haven't yet seen my 8800GT hit 65 degrees, but that 7 degrees difference does sound well worth the money. And again: how much did you get your 512MB 8800GTS for if it wasn't £185? Obviously the card on its own can be had for £207, but I'm talking about the card pre-installed in a full PC with a free pony.
    Last edited by PenguinJim; 28-12-2007 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNV View Post
    Ebuyer sell Inno3D, PoV and PNY GTS 512MB for under £210, whether you think they are "reputable manufacturers" or not is up to you. I do know that Inno3D warranty is 2 year with the place of purchase, and Ebuyer have confirmed they honour it. PNY warranty is very good too.
    Ehhem.. I said Under £200-210.. not between 200-210.. What I was trying to stress is there are very very few GTS below 200 squids..

thats all.. .. Merry christmas to everyone
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

£163 delivered for a 660/1900 MSI 8800GT with two games bundled is what I FOUND AND BOUGHT from eBuyer over a month ago. Sounds like you haven't been following these things. Perhaps next time you should do some research.
    If you are tryijg to tell me that the MSi's are reputable and have good RMA's then think again.
    They are part of the 'el cheapo' brigade.

Evga/BFG/Gainward are the ONLY ones worth touching.
    Last edited by Blitzen; 29-12-2007 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks

Ummm... Palit own Gainward! And have you tried RMAing anything to Gainward in the past three or four years?

You're obviously very new to graphics cards companies, so I'll forgive your ignorant posts in this thread. But how much did you pay for your 512MB 8800GTS? (As you've been asked three or four times now, I'm guessing it was more than £207 and you got screwed )

But the 512MB 8800GTS is still a great card, and worth the extra outlay for those who need the extra 10% performance because they play at extremely high resolutions. I only game at 1650x1080, so I can settle for a much much cheaper 8800GT, but for those who game at 1900x1200 or above, like Blitzen... wait... woah... what the... wow. Blitzen, is that really your monitor in your My System? Amazing! Is this a case of overcompensating due to "short monitor syndrome"?

Thanks

As poor as the cooling is on the GT, that one is even worse.
    In what term?
    - Reliability? I doubt you can prove it any more than I can otherwise.
    - Performance/noise? If you have done your research as you've claimed you would not be saying that... unless you are so biased against the 8800GT that you stubbornly can not recognise it's merit even if it was right in front of you (I refuse to believe that you can't read and understand a chart or two). Frankly speaking, I would rather if folks at SPCR comment on the noise, but for the time being I'll have to go with Tweaktown's rather favourable results.

From your statements here, I'd say it's a bit of both. From the beginning you've decided that the 8800GT did not provide enough power for your taste, your budget stretched beyond that, and, I reckon that you were for some reason angry that many people saw the card as something you did not. The last point is a bit of a deja-vu from your anti-Corsair PSU campaign. Apparently, you did actually have a reason to dislike Corsair then, which is fair play, but the real irony is that you did go on to suggest another Seasonic made PSU at one point.. probably after hearing PCP&C's reputation (this is a parallel to the Palit <-> Gainward relationship).

I can agree that once the 8800GT went up to &#163;170+, they became less attractive (though &#37; in cost and % in performance were -still- comparable than a GTS - not superior, but on par). But now that people have the option to purchase one for under &#163;150, you still find something to complain about. Only three brands are worth 'touching'? They may have their merits, but whether they are worth the extra is definitely in the realm of the 'it depends'. You've already paid the premium - the question then is whether you will end up being in a position where you could take advantage of the step-up program (many were not eligible - so the premium went on to subsidise those who could), or needing lifetime warranty (I don't pay for extended warranty when I buy electronics - yet this is pretty much what it is). The quality of the board is not going to vary much: since they manufacture for Gainward, you will either have to recognise that they may be el cheapo but good, or drop Gainward from your list of good brand. Of course, you might argue that Gainward has a tighter Q&A control though I don't know how you can prove this.
    Last edited by TooNice; 28-12-2007 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

If you are tryijg to tell me that the MSi's are reputable and have good RMA's then think again.
    They are part of the 'el cheapo' brigade.

Evga/BFG/Gainward are the ONLY ones worth touching.

Maybe it is you that doesnt do research!
    Ummm... Palit own Gainward!
    Sorry Blitzen but you've really put your foot in it with that one and PenguinJim is correct.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

This thread is getting off topic and descending into petty arguments. Please let it stop here before I ask a mod to close the thread.

No more off-topic comments please.

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish

Just to reiterate I guess, HR3-GT is pretty much as good as watercooling IMHO.. Accelero S2 seems to be the next logical choice.. I suppose with a strapped on nice quiet 120mm fan, it might give the Thermalright a run for its money..

To add further update, I saw some improvements on the OC levels of my card during single card situations (I have to run SLI at stock for obvious reasons of not wanting to flash my card BIOS).. Previously hitting 700MHz core with occassional crashing in sensitive games.. Now I hit 730MHz with no crashes with a dead quiet 92mm amber.. well at least no crashes on Crysis if thats a proper flaky game to go by..

So I guess &#163;60 quid (for two) was pretty well spent IMO.. I actually got one cheaper off the shops here in sheffield S1. &#163;28 inc..

Recommended definitely.. (oh cpt.. you can mount the HR3 on the front and on the back.. mounting it on the front of the card takes up more space but cools the ram and VRM chips..) Mounting it on the back obviously saves space
    Last edited by sawyen; 29-12-2007 at 05:48 PM.
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Ummm... Palit own Gainward! And have you tried RMAing anything to Gainward in the past three or four years?

You're obviously very new to graphics cards companies, so I'll forgive your ignorant posts in this thread. But how much did you pay for your 512MB 8800GTS? (As you've been asked three or four times now, I'm guessing it was more than &#163;207 and you got screwed )

But the 512MB 8800GTS is still a great card, and worth the extra outlay for those who need the extra 10&#37; performance because they play at extremely high resolutions. I only game at 1650x1080, so I can settle for a much much cheaper 8800GT, but for those who game at 1900x1200 or above, like Blitzen... wait... woah... what the... wow. Blitzen, is that really your monitor in your My System? Amazing! Is this a case of overcompensating due to "short monitor syndrome"?

Good god!!
    I dont think i am getting into a flame war with you.

Firstly, i did RMA a Gainward Bliss 7800GS in June 2005. What of it? All turned around within 9 days. The fact that someone else informed you that Palitt own Gainward (rather than knowing yourself) is not a point worth noting. Maybe they are built well but i would expect the RMA's have to go to the Far East rather than anywhere in Europe....i dunno.
    Fact remains is that you dont get anything for nothing and the Pallit cards really do look nasty regardless of of whether they are Gainwards or not. Look at that cooler for a start...even you must see that its not great, not that any of the GT's have great cooling.

Let me just say though that your rant seems like a classic example of someone that shelled out for an overpriced card. Thats the risk you took.

It was &#163;230 delivered for my EVGA and im very impressed........and its a quicker card than the over-rated GT.
    As for your hilalrious comments regarding my monitor......is insulting my hardware the best you can come up with on your own? Over the next 3 months (once over the christmas spend, it will be removed for a good 22/24" monitor. The 8800GTS will then pull out even further than the GT

LASTLY..........whether i like the look of the Pallit card or not, it IS good value for what you get. I cannot dispute that. It just looks nastily made. Surely anyone can admit that aswell.

NOTE: Sorry MODS but this bloke turns an opinion into pathetic flame.

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    This thread is getting off topic and descending into petty arguments. Please let it stop here before I ask a mod to close the thread.

No more off-topic comments please.
    Sorry fella but i had to respond and i wont post on this topic again.
    Last edited by Blitzen; 29-12-2007 at 08:26 PM.

isn't trying to wind U up Shooty*'s Avatar
    Thanks
    • Shooty*'s system
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • ThermalTake Tsunami Dream, black, windowed.
      • Internet:
      • Plus Net

Someone remind me what RMA stands for?

I've just got a BFG 8800gt OC. I have an Accelero S1 waiting to put on it once my hr-05-sli northbridge turns up. At the moment, the stock cooler is nice and quiet except for a wee whine on boot. Idle is about 52 degrees. Quake 4 1280 x 1024 on ultra settings sends it to about 69. Jericho, Hellgate, Ut3, Gears of war send it to mid 80s, I think.

Going to try the S1 fanless to start with. Hr-05-sli should arrive 5th Jan. Will give you some results shortly thereafter

Oh, and just as a matter of interest, I have removed the crappy black plastic "head" and "foot" of the S1 in anticipation. Can't see that they add anything. (this is the black things running the length of the radiator)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • hovick's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3ghz with Arctic Freezer
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2 CL5
      • Storage:
      • 1x74gb raptor, 1x500gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB BFG OC 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520Q
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion 534
      • Monitor(s):
      • 40" Sony Bravia HDTV

I have an accelero S1 on my 8800gt with a 12cm fan zip tied on. Idle is 40'c and load is 45'c lol. Pretty damn good.

However I thought the installation procedure was horrible, not easy at all and the damn ram sinks would keep falling off, used som arctic silver that i have lying around to stick them on and put my computer upside down for the night!

I dont have any VRM sinks on but i think with a fan blowing across it should be fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information