Thread: Laptop To Replace My Rig? What You Think Of This?

Thanks

Question Laptop To Replace My Rig? What You Think Of This?

Basically I want a good detailed comparison for my current rig vs. the replacement I'm going for...

Quote Originally Posted by MY RIG
    big chiefy dragon dx-01 mid tower...
    2600xp-mobile Barton 512L2 cache oc'ed to 2.2 GHz 400fsb (can do 2.4 GHz but no need)
    Asus a7n8x-x mobo with a cheapo eBay sata card with 2 sata plugs... lol works pretty damn well actually! Great Linux support as well
    Asus 9600xt 128mb agp...
    512mb corsair xms3200pro with 18LED with heat sink (super special and expensive back in the day) with a corsair value 512mb ram... not running dual channel...
    Erm 2 x 320 GB sata's which I’ll make external (any good external solutions that case 2 drives?)
    a funky hsf I made for the cpu consisting of a 120mm fan (can't remember the name but it’s nice) bolted to a 120mm-80mm converter bolted to a cooler master aero 7+ copper heat sink block gets temps around 46C in summer when the above is running oc'ed @2.2ghz...
    Asus 8x dvdrw ide...
    Tagan dual engine 500w - its welllll nice
    Dell D1226H 19" CRT... - It's been dead good to me
    And I'm thinking of selling all that and replacing it with....

Quote Originally Posted by DELL
    Components
    Intel® Pentium® dual-core processor T2130 (1.86 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2-cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    No Accidental Damage Support
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    9 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 Whr)
    No Floppy Drive
    Resource DVD - (Diagnostics & Drivers)
    Accessories
    Dell™ Wireless 1390 802.11b/g Mini-PCI Card (for Dual-Core Processors)
    No Bluetooth Upgrade
    No QuickSnap® LCD Back Cover
    No Carry Case
    Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio
    Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
    No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Also Includes
    Internal Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    N1264054
    Inspiron Order - UK
    English Documentation with UK Power Cord
    56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - UK
    1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    Dell Internet Order.
    HSB Order
    65W AC Adapter
    So what I want to know is... how much of a nice difference am I going to notice with this lil fella?
    I DON'T care about games... just making that CLEAR before I get pointless flames on the gfx card... I have a 360 elite + 1080i 37"HDTV so I'm sorted for games ta: naughty:

I know it's dual core so I reckon I'm definitely going to notice the difference with this compare to my trusty xp-m... coupled with the 2gb ram I reckon this would be nice and smooth for vista business and Photoshop whilst say burning a dvdr in Nero and switching between msn/Firefox/Photoshop whilst burning... with the Phillips 5mp webcam I have going...

As for gaming... As I say I do have a 360elite and a nice TV but I did used to play css... I know it'd obviously run 1.6 nice but css what do you reckon? It’s a "shared" 256mb integrated but I have 2 GB to play with... If not as I say above I couldn't care less as I doubt I'll get round to it tbh...

running this "15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display with TrueLife™" vs. my Dell D1226H 19" @ 1600x1200@70Hz will it be a nice change or will I find myself cluttered? I quite like the idea of widescreen layout over traditional and that 15.4 seems like a reasonably high res for the size of the screen so I'm hoping everything won't be huge and I can spread everything nice and read text well and laid out within WebPages...

What downsides will I have if any except from the "it's a laptop not a laid out pc" (i.e. keyboard/mouse) as IF I need to I could use my excising keyboard/mouse when at home... I probably will use my mouse anyway its nice

With the 1.86Ghz C2D 1MB cache and 2GB DDR2 ram will vista honestly be smooth as I like both xp pro sp2 and vista business/ultimate... so I could run either: naughty: so I could haggle the one you recommend instead of being bundled with something I don't need...

Honest thoughts and opinions... my budgets £430 to the max and I really can't afford anymore than that tbh...
    If there is a better spec machine then link me please (UK only)

Cheers I look forward to what you think... I also hope this is allot easier to read that my usual posts... as I know I rush things (sorry)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Thanks

Re: Laptop To Replace My Rig? What You Think Of This?

The main bottleneck with the laptop is going to be the HD. Not much you can do there, SSD isn't really an option for your budget (plus, you'd lose on capacity). Once loaded into memory, the laptop is undoubtedly faster.

You can answer better than anyone as to whether you will find 1280x800 'cluttered' - why not just temporarily resize your desktop and see that resolution for yourself?

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

I doubt you'll notice a difference in the performance to be honest. On paper, the laptop is a better specification, but quite frankly I doubt your current rig is struggling with general applications inside of Windows. Specific applications like Photoshop, will of course benefit from having a dual core processor and the extra memory available, but do you use them that much, or do you generally just use your PC on the internet?

You'll almost certainly find yourself annoyed at the resolution switch over as well, going from a larger monitor to a smaller one (even if the smaller is widescreen), generally comes as a shock to the system for most users.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

High-res images or editing will be the only real thing to test performance going by what you've said and unless we're talking scary DPIs, then I doubt you're suddenly going to go "WOW!".

I can't see you getting CSS working satisfactorily on an Intel graphics chip. I just don't think it's gonna happen. I'd have reservations over how well CS 1.6 would work to be honest, but it should be OK.

Regarding the screen, it depends on how you work. I can't even adapt from my 1920x1200 monitor at home to my 1280x1024 one at work, so I had to get another to compliment it. That's largely dominated by how you work (if you have everything maximised, then it should be fine), but I couldn't adapt to it.

Quote Originally Posted by keef247 View Post
    I know it's dual core so I reckon I'm definitely going to notice the difference with this compare to my trusty xp-m... coupled with the 2gb ram I reckon this would be nice and smooth for vista business and Photoshop whilst say burning a dvdr in Nero and switching between msn/Firefox/Photoshop whilst burning... with the Phillips 5mp webcam I have going...
    Sounds like a PC World advert.

Thanks

haha pc world my ass haha they'd be going "no you don't need a 8800GTX you need this brand new boxed super megadeal 9200AGP radeon I can just happen to reduce right here and now for only £90 it should be £150 but as your collecting in store.." well back in the days of the 9800pro/xt etc that was the case in local stores lol they'd always have these 9200 or even worse 8600ati cards or something of that number with "32MB onboard RAM" WOW:O hahaha. but yeah its more worth it in my opinion for the spaciousness I'll be saving and how I can now get rid of the clutter and take it places and still not loose preformance... plus yeah I do like mucking around on photoshop but as I multitask alot my cpu hinders the efficiancy of this....
    even if its not dramatically better sounds like I will still get a little more productivity out of it.

I was thinking just now... wireless keyboard/mouse+ video out of some sort to my 37" 1080i tv? that'd be really nice just sit on the couch with a nice screen and then use its native when on the move

also do you reckon I could run css on 800x600 at medium as thats what i run on here. like i said above i don't really play it but it'd be a cheeky bonus
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Splash

Just a question - why Vista Business? Would you not be better off dropping that and getting Home Premium? Or is the machine going on a domain?

Thanks
    • amjedm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-Sli Premium
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 4200 S939 + Scythe Ninja rev A
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung T 160GB Sata in Scythe Quiet Box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 6600 256MB + Cooling Mod
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 485 (fanless) - lower chamber P180 fan doing the PSU cooling
      • Case:
      • P180 (modded - easier cable routing, front and rear grills cut)
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" WTQ?
      • Internet:
      • O2 8MB (Standard)

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Just a question - why Vista Business? Would you not be better off dropping that and getting Home Premium? Or is the machine going on a domain?
    I think that particular model is available from the Dell Business website so comes with Vista Business or you can opt for XP Pro.

Thanks

what he said^ haha and business seems to have less bolted on crap does it not? and it also comes with a proper disc and not a bundled one...

Thanks

what he said^ haha and business seems to have less bolted on crap does it not? and it also comes with a proper disc and not a bundled one...
    All the Vostro's do, no matter which OS you opt for. They're also no riddled with 3rd-party crap. Something I never thought I'd see, especially from Dell.

Don't think Business has anything less than Home Premium though - just lacking Media Center really, in terms of resident processes, and most of them are only activated once you've run the set up for MC.

Thanks
    • godsdog's system
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 204B
      • Internet:
      • UKFSN ..have to check

The Windows Vista: Compare Editions put it in your pocket and never be without it words and picture page
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice: Pull down your pants and slide on the ice"

Splash

I was merely thinking in terms of saving you some cash - if you don't need domain support you really don't need business, but if it's the only available option I guess that explains it.

Thanks

ah i wasn't aware that all vostro's os's have de-crapped cd's... i was under the impression it was just vista business... in that case i will try and go for home then
    cheers people

Splash

To be honest all the Dell kit that we got at the company I worked for came with a Dell OEM Windows XP CD (ie the OS and nada else) and a seperate apps CD. You want drivers? Download them from the website

Thanks

i prefer it like that tbh... less clutter and there if i need them whenever i need them and least you don't have to worry about loosing the drivers disc or scratching it etc etc.oh and updates tooo

Thanks
    • Toobad's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8Gb Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • 240GB + 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD 7750 1Gb DDR5
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 480W Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 3007WFP-HC
      • Internet:
      • BT ADSL Max

ah i wasn't aware that all vostro's os's have de-crapped cd's... i was under the impression it was just vista business... in that case i will try and go for home then
    cheers people
    I rang Dell up and told them I wanted Home Premium 32-bit and I also wanted £20 off the price as it was a lesser value edition of Vista. Ask and you shall receive!
    Apparently, "Do whatever you like" should NOT be considered authorisation to build my uber rig!

Thanks

got the cheaper number i remember someone posting it and don't want to get my ears bitten off with the expensive one.i also want to call on a mobile...vodafone... any idea on price and the cheaper vostro helpline number please?

Thread Information