Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asus eee

Thanks

Question asus eee

Where’s the best place to buy one cheap and safely?
    And has anyone here installed xp on a preloaded Linux one?
    I want one of these otherwise I’m going with a nokia n810... their about the same price roughly well pretty close so I wondered which would be better seeing as the asus can run Linux/xp its obvious more app supportive and the bigger screen/hdd etc is a plus but then you can easily add a card to the nokia etc...

Also is the 8 GB only available in 1 GB models? I hear of people running 2 GB in there. Would this really be needed as obviously you can’t LMAO game on it? Saying that you could you run HL? That’d be sweet to play little cs 1.6 wirelessly at a station would be amusing...
    but yer would you say it’s worth going for a 8gb or a 2/4gb and running a big ass sd card? I'd personally prefer to have like 2gb xp partition and rest as storage and then have a big sd card for storage and running my 2 and 1gb pen drives with say a divx or 2 on and plug them in only when requiring the files on them... thus saving battery... also where is a good place to source the 6cell battery? Is there a more powerful one than that and does the 4/6 cell offer noticeable differences and how many hours usage wise??
    Really interested in this... the nokia yeah its in my pocket which I love and it seems very optimised for video and I'm sure you could hack some divx onto there if not convert to a nice enough quality for nokia's preinstalled supported formats...
    But then the asus I like because it’s a lappy but so much smaller. The screen at first annoyed me with the amount of wasted space but now seeing it run xp gave me more of a comparison to this 1600x1200 desktop to the spaciousness I could achieve when running say msn and browsing... sure I’d need to have it maximised but it'd still be able to view allot without constant scrolling

Then of course the question is does the nokia support msn out of the box I was wondering?
    Does the nokia have an open source support/dev group out there customising/porting apps to its distro?

Could you install a different os on the nokia (hardly likely?)

Which should I go for... because I was set on the nokia and now I'm thinking hmmm get the asus? Purely because the keyboard looks so easy and comfy to use and the screen obviously is just that bit more bigger and the fact I can run xp on it blows my mind as anything I can use on here and can use on the asus... obviously I'm not saying photoshopping some raw images but lol nice browsing apps bit of live messenger with the webcam that’s built in. Some nice torrent programs. Some codec packs and large supported apps for all my everyday uses... email clients of my choice the list is endless...

So begs the question which? I mean say I leave them stock linux vs linux is the nokia nice to use for long periods of time? say for example I want to spend an evening typing away on forums and msn this looks like I could do my fingers in ache wise on the nokia (I know it’s about "on the move" and all but still I want it more as a tiny lappy with big lappy functionality) and would the tiny screen do my eyes in after doing this each night (this would be for when I’m visiting family and fancy using MySpace/msn/forums/eBay etc)

Basically... as their pretty close price wise for what I want would the asus 8 GB 1 GB ram running xp be more worth it than the nokia with its preinstalled linux distro and apps?
    After writing this I'm seriously thinking the asus... but it’s just the fact I could have the nokia in my pocket wherever I take it... and just pop it out quick photo/post on a forum etc... Opposed to a bag for the asus... hmmm it’s like I'm screwed either way.

Links to both offenders best prices per spec please. colour wise I'm not to bothered if it means I'll get a better spec. but white/silver for the asus would be nice but black is growing on me I'm just scared of a cheapo plasticeque feel if I go black...

I know as usual I've probably confused the hell out of not only myself but you all as well so I appreciate this but also remember It's nearly 7am and I've been up all night. I just had to post this before I forgot and thought that seeing as it's so early when I wake up it could have had reasonable input

If the first half confused you I'm basically thinking size vs. functions vs. cost vs. usability for long use say 1-4 hours at a time when sat on a bench/sofa typing away on msn/forums etc. Also using it for portable movie viewing...

I'm hoping at least the above or the last half made some sense.
    Hopefully people will supply me with some helpful links... oh and I'm already aware of the mad modding options for the asus which again does tempt me... especially the touch screen/bluetooth
    Oh and all prices for the UK please. Including delivery will save ALOT of time as well when estimating
    Cheers guys... I get paid Friday so who knows I might have to get one of these instead of blowing 200-300quid on New Year’s seems more sensible to me seeing as I’ve previously wanted a nice spec lappy for the same reasons previously...

Cheers again. I'm sorry it was so long winded!

EDIT: just found this link... looks even more tempting to go asus... mac osx 10.5 leopard running on it so thats mac/linux/windows all available .... SO tempted now... heres the link.click me you swine! P.S obviously it doesn't have SSE3 support and you can tinker it to work so I was thinking maybe an older distro of osx if not but either way its very impressive imho...

EDIT2: this is becoming very tempting... apparently you can run Halo CE on low settings so many my HL/cs theory wasn't as ridiculous as I thought... running HL/Halo even at crap settings will always be better than only being able to run solitare!
    Last edited by keef247; 27-12-2007 at 08:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Re: asus eee

Sounds to me you have decided on the Eee.

The N810is less powerful and less capable, but it is smaller, and thats what you are paying for.

The N810 isn't has hackable as it isn't a cut down laptop, it doesn't use an x86 processor and it isn't designed to be expandable.

I don't think XP or OSX would be an enjoyable experience on an Eee, they aren't that powerful.

Thanks

If you want a small Linux laptop-type machine, I'd try the EEE.

Take an iPhone and remove the phone (so, an i ) then you have what most consumers would use an N800/N810 for. For this use, they can make a very nice addition to a desktop/laptop, but not a replacement.

If you can compare Linux to Windows, then you can compare the Nokia Internet Tablets to Windows Mobile.

Tech Geek.
    Thanks

Thanks

Funkstar your wrong mate. If you research you'll find they even ship the eee with xp if you choose that package... and looking at vids its more than capable... also the 1/2gb ram option would make it fly... seeing as people have run vista on it a useable level albet abit slow but that was purely to show the possiibilitys... and xp is alot less hungry than that... I'm thinking either this or the same money on a lappy 2nd hand?
    thing is is it worth say £300 for the 8gb ssd 1gb ram do you guys reckon? rumor has it theres a 16gb ssd coming out...
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Thanks

hmmm "In the last picture, we saw the SSD control chip and NAND Flas didn’t sold in main board. Instead of SSD mini pci-e card to sold one. It’s mean that we can upgrade the hard disk drive by changing SSD mini pci-e card."

does that mean you could bump the 8gb up even more?

Thanks

I am waiting for the 16gb model, also heard that a newer revision will be released sometime next year, 8.9" screen.

my local pcworld has them in stock, was xtremely tempted to pick one up the other day but 4gb ssd just isnt enough storage.

is a damn sweet piece of kit though
    foobar2K->Compass->Meridian502/557->B&W802

Thanks

i want a 8gb

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by keef247 View Post
    Funkstar your wrong mate. If you research you'll find they even ship the eee with xp if you choose that package...
    Meh. fair enough. i don't see the point of XP or Vista on something like the Eee. but each to their own

Thanks

well thats because you haven't done your research properly.
    1/2gb ram 600mhz is more than fast enough:S
    back in the sp1 xp days you could run a 550mhz 256ram machine well quick bootup wise etc.obviously I'm not going to be running skins and visual cheese so it'll be smooth.
    if it can run halo ce with low settings it must be more than up to the job tbh.
    let alone custom linux os's aswell. also mac seems to run nice if you optimise a slightly older distro... or so i red.so the options look promising.plus I've seen it running xp/vista and the speed is well nice on a 1gb ram'd spec machine... plus the fact you could have like 16-32gb sd card and a 16-32gb pen drive either wired up inside or plugged in... then 8gb built in ssd its just sick for its size man or wire up a touch screen/bluetooth.the things got so much going for it and so cheap.just have a proper look around on some sites and you want one

Thanks

I bet that 32GB pendrive costs more than the machine itself

Mine should arrive tomorrow. I bought it because I'll be making a series of short trips in the coming month and want to be able to sort out bookings/emails and such, without resorting to the use of a public PC (for security reasons). I do not have a smartphone because I found out after using one for a few years that I do not need to have mini-computer in my pocket on a daily basis. For longer trips where I will need to write reports, or want the occasional games, I reckon that a more powerful PC is still more appropriate.

I'd be tempted to upgrade the RAM to 1GB if it does use standard cheap DDR2, but I reckon that I will not be using anything that would require that much memory without stressing the CPU. Speaking of CPU, I read that the next revision will be using Merom processors, which will drop the energy consumption by a few watts. Not sure how significant it will be in the grand scheme of things, but I would actually value that more than a larger screen/more storage for something like this.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

32Gb Corsair Flash Voyager is £175 from Scan, so it's not far off!

Personally, I would rather lose the speakers and get a wider screen that can display 1024 width, as I believe that would be much more browser friendly. Reading up on the EeePC forum it's amazing what people are doing with these little machines. The touchscreen mod looked quite good as was adding 2 internal USBs for flash drives. Lot's of potential...

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by keef247 View Post
    well thats because you haven't done your research properly.
    1/2gb ram 600mhz is more than fast enough:S
    back in the sp1 xp days you could run a 550mhz 256ram machine well quick bootup wise
    Thats not what i meant.

The idea behind the Eee is for it to be a light weigt, affordable, low power internet device. Something that the existing OS and app suite does without a problem. I can't see the point in spending £160 on XP Home or between £150 and £312 on Vista for a laptop costing as little as £200.

And yes i know you can get OEM versions of Windowsfor less, but you would need to buy that with the laptop for it to conform to the EULA. And you to use an existing license it would need to be a retail edition, as OEMs are tied to the system you got it wih. Legally speaking.

Thanks

i just thought getting the eee from ebay with pre installed xp would be nice
    but yeah fair point mate. if not preloaded option then i was just thinking of picking up a last minute auction bid on ebay for a cheap distro license... I see your point though.running mac on it violates the eula aswell but :\ there just wierd anyway about things like that cause they want you to run it on their hardware:S even if you've bought the os:S all these rules are so annoying but fair enough.

Thanks

Registered+
    Thanks

Scan stock them.. Not sure if its the cheapest.

Thread Information