basically... just hooked my ati 9600xt 128mb asus vivo card to my 37" hdtv 1080i beast and its max resolution seems to be 1024x768 i can try all the others but they don't work... 1280x720 didn't work either so I'm hopings its because i'm using a dvi head with a vga converter with a vga cable to the vga (NOT dvi) socket on my hdtv... so all I want to know is... will this card display it in "true" hd? if not whats the difference ... and will it still do the resolution if not in "true HD"? and is the reason the vga's not working because of either the cheap cable I'm using or because its not a dvi-hdmi lead and hdmi only supports those res's?
for more info the cable was off a cheapy ebay monitor sharing jobby so basically has keyboard/mouse with it aswell to a junctioning box which you then plug into your other devices on either side to share a monitor through both inputs... during using this years ago i found for example it wouldn't support 1600x1200 properly so I'm hoping its just a crap cable... just thought this might shed some light to the situation...
thoughts welcomed.cheers