Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a Dream...for now

Thanks
    Ok only looked for a few minutes, but as far as I can tell a 'raptor' is just a type of WD, right? Also just to be sure I wasn't mistaken before, but it seems like the Athlon 64 3200 kicks the XP 3200's ass in all situations, so I figure it would be just as comparable between the 3000's. For 15 dollars more It really doesn't matter to me. I'm not trying to defy you, I'm just trying to figure out which is better, and wanted to show you why I thought what I did. Is my idea right, or should I really just stick with the XP. I'm not doing it for anything but the faster speed, and that I can tell all my friends I have a 64 bit processor. What do you guys think?

dgr
    Thanks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by yuthra253
    I've always heard and read that western digital is top of the line? Is raptor that much better. I was also considering getting a Barton over an athlon 64, but athlons just got such good reviews, i figured for 30 bucks more for comparable clock speed why not go with 64 bit?
    "that mainboard is an early version - tend to be a lil buggier."
    i have also considered this but I also, have a few months to go.

Thanks for the input, I will definately reconsider 32 bit. Anyone else have opinions on this?
    have to say that i was unaware that difference in price 32bit <-> 64bit had fallen so dramatically. with that information, i would advise you to ignore my previous comment .

however my feelings on the case still stand - £50 for a case not including PSU is not too far short of a CM201 - plus i have a thing against pre modded cases - if you want a modded case, do it yourself most of the CMs i have seen end up looking far from tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryOatcake
    Thanks for the Bouquet, dgr,
    if you are referring to my Inwin case
    then may I say feel free if you wish to treat me.
    Its whats under the bonnet that counts.
    I quite agree - though quietness and looks are just as important. remember, that pc will be pretty underpowered in a few years time, but it will be as shiny and quiet as the day you bought it (ish...)

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

dgr
    Thanks
    oh btw heres a review of the A64s vs a XP3200:

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display...D=277&PageID=1

the conclusion is that the A64 is quite a bit faster.... though not blazingly faster.

oh and the hard discs - the WD non raptors are fast enough - thats why i bought one in the first place. but my point is that in comparison to the raptors, they just feel... slow.
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    ooo, thanks for that link dgr. I couldn't find one comparing the XP 3200 and the 64 3000, that was a great help!! I must be off to school . Thanks again guys!

Thanks
    Ok, which raptor? Two 37GB in RAID 0 or just one 74 GB? the 74's seek time is 4.5 as opposed to the 37's 5.2. Two of the smaller would be cheaper than one large one.
    Here are the links.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-160&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...144-200&depa=1

dgr
    Thanks
    hi

i have the 37, it was the only one available at the time and i paid £117.

IMO it is well worth getting a decent hard disc. others may diagree but i find accessing lots of small files (such as when compiling) is a LOT faster - also it means one less device on your system bus.

maybe it would be good if others could give input. but IMO if you spending as much as you are, it would make sense to make sure you remove the weakest link.

i wouldn't necessarily put 2 drives in RAID0 - you have to ask yourself whether the performance boost is really worth the increased chance of a hard disc failure (and the subsequent losing of all your data). NB - raptors come with a 5yr garuntee so should be amde pretty well...

dgr

Thanks
    Hey thanks for the advice again. I'll definately consider it. Plans have changed though as my brother is leaving for Japan in a few weeks and is coming to visit for the last time for like a year. So I've decided to get the stuff so we can work on it together. I will probably be ordering within the hour, and I'll definately post EVERYTHING I got. Thanks again everyone!

dgr
    Thanks
    nb if you are installing a SATA drive, chances are you will need a floppy drive to install the drivers during windows xp instal.

dgr

Thanks
    Ok now that I finally got it all ordered, I'll give you guys a list of what I finally decided on, and you tell me what you think. It cost me just over 2000 US dollars

Xoxide:
    Lian Li PC-75B Full Tower

Amazon:
    Windows XP Home Upgrade
    Samsung Dynaflat Syncmaster 19" CRT Monitor
    Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Cable/DSL Router
    Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B USB Network Adapter
    Labtec Pulse 475 Speaker System

Newegg:
    Saphire Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB
    Asus K8V Deluxe w/ K8T800 Chipset
    OCZ Enhanced Latency 512 PC3200 (2-3-3-6) X2
    64 3000+
    WD Raptor HDD @ 10000 74 GB SATA
    Antec P4 450 Watt "SL450"
    Lite On 48x/16x CD/DVD Drive
    Lite On 52x/32x/52x CDR/CDRW/CD
    Norton SystemWork Pro 2003
    Samsung Floppy
    Cyberpower 8 outlet surge protector

Tell me what ya think. I have some glowing goodies at home here to light it(the case) up so it will be glowing blue and red! Once I got some extra cash I'm going to maybe repaint it, it looks pretty dull in the picture, but we'll see!

Dodgy Water Cooling
    Thanks
    hmmm

I think the boy did well. But why a raptor? Yeah they are the quickest drives this side of SCSI but do YOU really need a raptor? Personally I would have saved my money an gotten a 160 gig WD SE (they are quick enough for most apps) and got a quciker processor.
    Also, I know that you can wait forever to upgrade, but I'm waiting for Q2 and the advent of PCI-X and hopefully the new ATi chipsets.
    But all in all you've got a pretty kickass rig for what you said was a "budget". Very nice RAM and mobo pretty sweet too. Pleased to see that you went the way of a quality PSU, I got a cheapo one about 18 months back, only really lasted 6 months!
    IMHO you've made a good choice, esp with the 9800 Pro, lovely card for an amazing price
    And as a Lian-Li lover, the case couldn't be much better in my opinion.

Steve

ps but what do I know, my family choose betamax... hehe
    Winning isn't everything, but losing is nothing...

Thanks
    Thanks. When I first started planning I wanted to make this a lower end and keep the price under 1000. Then after I kind of saw all the things I really liked the Athlon 64 and 9800 pro, and I figured if I'm paying extra to get the nice processor and video card, I might as well get good for everything so it can keep up. This led to that and it cost me what it did. Either way I'm pretty happy with my choice to spend more and once it gets here I hope I'll be even happier =D. Church in an hour so I must go, see ya!

dgr
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBot
    But why a raptor? Yeah they are the quickest drives this side of SCSI but do YOU really need a raptor? Personally I would have saved my money an gotten a 160 gig WD SE (they are quick enough for most apps) and got a quciker processor.
    in a few months that processor will be half the speed of those now available - but the HDD will still kick ass.

I find my raptor far more responsive with small files than my WD120gb/8mb ever does. It encrypts faster, it loads games faster, it really does make a difference.

oh and the raptor comes with a 5 year garuntee.

dgr

Dodgy Water Cooling
    Thanks
    Half the speed in a few months? stretching it a bit, but I see your point. Yeah, I know the raptors are cool, I'm getting 2 in Raid-0 config for the games box soon, but for most people they not worth it, at least in my opinion.

Steve

ps the 5 year garuantee is cool yeah, but with reference to your processor speeds 74 gig in 5 years will not be worth exchanging, in 2years I've far outgrown my 60 gig westerns.
    Winning isn't everything, but losing is nothing...

Thanks
    Yeah but no matter when you buy something you can argue that if you waited just a few months you could get something so much better for the same price. Just hope I won't need to do much to it for two years. Or it might have to last me through college. Anyway thanks guys and I'll be sure to post picture in the gallery once I get it running!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information