Thread: Speakers

Thanks

Speakers

Time has come to replace my old Creative Soundworks 4000 system, 4 speakers n a sub with something that'll last a decent amount of time, has nice long cables and is black...

Suggestions people..

Soundcard that'll be running them is an XFi..

Mainly used for playing games and watching films etc

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Re: Speakers

7.1 Gigaworks

Thanks

I swapped my old Creative 4000 and Soundblaster 2 soundcard recently, and got a set of Creative Inspire T6100 5.1s to go with my new XFi. They're smart speakers with excellent sound quality, reasonable volume, and the subwoofer is certainly powerful enough (or so my wife tells me when the rumbling bass disturbs Coronation Street). They're also a bit of a bargain for under £40 OEM.

Thanks
    • markbrown83's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 660 OC
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP-HC

I am looking to get Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK when I get the money. Already have an Auzentech Prelude so I think they will compliment each other quite well... just need to find a spare £200 as I want to buy a NAS drive first.

Thanks

Like those Mark, seeing as I have a car to rebuild, a baby on the way and a nursery to decorate I tihnk I'll leave those ones lol...

Thanks

i am waiting for a good looking set of 5.1's for about £120.

they seem virtually non-existent atm.
    http://rusi.org/downloads/assets/FDR2.pdf - RUSI - A Force For Honour
    http://www.uknda.org/my_documents/my...essity_scr.pdf - UKNDA: A Compelling Necessity
    http://www.uknda.org/my_documents/my...ISIS_Sep08.pdf - UKNDA: Overcoming The Defence Crisis
    http://www.uknda.org/my_documents/my...y_Doc_24pp.pdf - UKNDA: A decision the next Prime Minister must make

Registered+
    Thanks

Personally I use the logitech z-5500 and think they are fantastic, also have built in dolby decoder so if your really into films and want to watch it with digital dolby decoding via optical link its great. Base is very strong but controlled, cables are very long, only negative thing i would say (and may now be resolved) is that the subwoofer thumps whenever someone turns off certain lights in the house (ie the sub isnt that well electically shielded)

Thanks

All of my PC kit is plugged into a UPS so sheilding shouldnt make that much difference to me, tbh not sure if my XFi has an optical out or not, never noticed..
    £200 is waaay over what I wanna spend tho tbh, current setup cost about £60iirc when new lots of years ago, and I mean lots of years ago, had these speakers since my K6-II days just before I got my original Nvidia Geforce 256 card...

LWA
    Thanks

I moved from a Creative 5.1 setup to these around a year ago:

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Everywhere you look these have amazing reviews and when I actually bought them they didn't fail to disappoint. I don't miss the 5.1 setup at all, the sound quality of these is amazing.

Hexus Review: HEXUS.net - Review :: Creative GigaWorks T20 speakers - a first look : Page - 1/7
    Last edited by LWA; 16-01-2008 at 01:45 PM.

10. Received thanks from:

acrobat (16-01-2008)

Thanks

X-Fi has no 5.1 Optical out. I probably sound like a broken record, but especially at your budget, I would suggest headphones. I'd vouch for the Gigaworks S750 if you had £200-ish to spend and I just don't think that £60 will get you speakers that'll be considered a long term investment (they will last that long, but more limited quality wise - at best they'll can get 2.0 speakers set that'll last a while e.g.the ones linked above). Unlike CPU, graphics card etc., sound parts don't improve leaps and bound that much quality wise over the years. If you really have to though, my flatmate had the Inspire 5.1. It's black, functional, probably an improvement over what you have with cable length that I considered adequate.

Thanks

Needs to be 4 speakers at least, like to be able to use sound to locate people in BF2/CS/IL2 etc

Headphones are a no no, give me a headache, only 1 pair I've ever liked that I tried at a MA_LAN@Zak's place.

Thanks

Look up for 'Videologic' at a certain auction site. They used to make some very nice MM speakers back in the days that should compete pretty well even today. I am not sure how much they go for now, but you might be able to get a bargain.

Ditto for the Create Megaworks. Those were speakers that costed just under £180, but since the Gigaworks you may find some bargains. On Logitech's side you could look at the Z580 (but they had a bad reputation in reliability) or the Z5500's predecessor the Z680. They are a bit boomy for my taste when it comes to music (as often are Logitech speakers), but for movies and games, they are worth a look.

Finding them at £60 is going to be a very long shot but I am out of idea, but I think you may just have to settle with the Inspire otherwise. Have you tried headphones from any respected brands (Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica etc. - I'd put Grado in there but they are not the most comfort friendly I know of)?

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Needs to be 4 speakers at least, like to be able to use sound to locate people in BF2/CS/IL2 etc
    For what its worth, I am pretty sure you can do that with 2 speakers too. I have just 2, and yet it can somehow simulate sounds behind you and behind and to the left or right etc too. It works really well. It's probably not as good as actually having more speakers though, but it's not too bad if you want to keep costs down.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    Finding them at £60 is going to be a very long shot but I am out of idea, but I think you may just have to settle with the Inspire otherwise. Have you tried headphones from any respected brands (Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica etc. - I'd put Grado in there but they are not the most comfort friendly I know of)?
    I have a pair of grado sr80s, that youd hardly know you had on. fidelity is amazing, and you can position really well, not great at noisy lans though, as theyre completley open with literally zero isolation

Thread Information