Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: £450 box spec me up:)

Thanks

Question £470 components... spec me up

hi...
    basically I'm possibly considering a sick spec'd rig against the lappy i want just because if i could get something ridiculous i might not go with a lappy...
    £450 is the max i think... so we'll spec to around that level...

now I've been out of the "game" for awhile i know brief things but models/best hardware for what i don't know... i was a asus a7n8x-e dlx person that was my prime knowledge years so I'm abit out of touch now:\

obviously I'm still in touch with whats what like C2D/AM2 etc I just have no clue what the best mobo/ram/graphics are as so many have came out so quick but i know the basics if you get me...

so basically... £450 to spend. whats best for gaming/multitasking? should i get quadcore.it'd be nice to have something futureproof thinking of getting this
    HEXUS.community discussion forums

if not what processor? and should I go for AM2 if I'm on a budget? I mean I've heard amd are so cheap right now? or were when I last checked.... Am I going to loose out over Intel's preformance so far or have amd got their acts together and caught up?

i use a dell 19" 1600x1200@70hz crt monitor a DH1226H... would this be good to keep or should i look at a new tft next month?and what one? If so I'd like a widescreen... A 22 would be nice

what graphics card? I was thinking nvidia even though i loved ati back in the day... or maybe ati as I would like to stream HD content to my 37" 1080i HDTV... I'd just get a ridiculous length DVI-HD cable and use it as a secondary monitor or something like that right?

oh and i don't want SLI.

Would ati be better for this? is their hd rendering vs gaming better than nvidia? is it cheaper and more bang for buck? would i be better off going for this as i'm on a budget? or should i loose some hd quality for the gaming edge of nvidia if the price is right.

I'm not as bothered about gaming as i have my 37" attached to a 360elite but If I'm getting a beasty pc it'd be stupid to have a weaksauce graphics card driving it surely? seeing as I'll want to do photoshop/hd viewing/streaming etc...

what ram? this i have NO clue on:\ going to be running 32bit so 4gb's being wasted right?
    whats the deal on 3gb does it work 1x 1gb with 1x2gb?having seen this as an option on lappys...

will my 500w tagan dual engine with sli adapters etc run it all as it was bloody expensive couple yrs back!

case wise i have an old beat up cheiftec dx-01 dragon midi... will this give me the head room for the hardware especially the graphics card worrys me.it is a beast of a case.
    i can get a area 51 next month so case isnt in the budget.

think that covers it...

oh and all links for the uk please.
    preferably all from one source..

cheers

EDIT: I don't need optical/hdd's...
    Last edited by keef247; 22-01-2008 at 04:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

Re: £450 box spec me up:)

that was long winded lol, gaming pc for £450 excluding case and PSU would have done

your tagan is fine for current hardware yes.

Motherboard: £63 today
    Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

CPU: Dual core £130
    Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

Quad Core: £160

(new quads start at £220..bit expensive)

Memory: £35
    (you would get cheaper and better else where, i prefer geil)

Graphics: £115 Great bangs for bucks, and for HD

HDD: 500GB Western Digital or save £20 with a 320GB

Optical: Dvd writer .. £15

Arctic freezer 7 pro .. £15

Total ~ £450 (using most expensive items listed)

Thanks

not really as that doesn't answer all my questions hence why.
    but thankyou for answering some I'll check them now

hmm anything better than that hsf? had one on a 754 and it wouldn't cool a crappy 3200 lower than 60C... but that was a dodgy via mobo so maybe thats why...
    either way an alternative would be nice.
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

yeah check out the scythe and thermalright range on scan. Bit more money but better coolers.

if you like your monitor stick with it.. The graphics card will run most games high detail at that resolution.

RAM wise. I would stick with 2GB and see how you get on. You can use 3GB though with no problems.

You can get a pretty decent 22" screen on scan for about £140. if you feel the need.

it will pop up around £140 on a today only.

No point looking at AMD for your budget really. You can afford the serious intel chips.

you can use your HD tv as a second monitor if you like yes via HDMI, VGA, DVI.. whatever it accepts.

If you really do want an Nvidia card they have just released the 8800GS.. fits your budget and is set to be a fairly good performer.

Thanks

lol i just noticed you put hdd's... i forgot i don't need a hdd or optical... I'll add to the original post... ta.
    see now im getting comfused... all these bloody 8800's lol.what one would you suggest for my budget.i want a c2d quad 2gb ram that abit mobo and a gfx card then basically.
    is it 1+2gb ram combinations?how can that run dual channel if uneven numbers:S
    comfusing shiz

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

It doesn't run dual channel I don't think, but the positives of running 3GB out weigh dual channel. Tbh just get 4GB and run dual channel. You will get effective use of about 3.3GB in 32bit windows and then you can always upgrade to 64bit and get full use later.

I'm backing ATi's corner at the moment. The HD3850 is damn good for the money as are the cheaper end of the HD3780's.

All the gaming performance you could really want at 1680 x 1050 (20 -22") or there abouts. The only game they will strugge to do high detail with is Crysis ..but even Tri SLi 88000 Ultra's cant do that properly

Bang for bucks they are hard to beat.

There is the 8800GT 512mb (that bit is important as the 256mb is tosh!) but if you are paying more than £150 for it I don't think it's worthwhile over the HD3850. It is the better card though.

This new 8800GS should be equal to the HD3850/HD3870.. so it will be good, you just have to choose between the two manafacturers. Given the cooling options on the ATi's I would go for them. They range from single slot to, passive with decent active cooling solutions in the middle to meet anyones preference.

Thanks

cheers for being so enlightening well helps mate...
    only bit im comfused with is... say i get that 3850... will it run every game ie COD4 just for example as I have it on 360 anyway at max details for the 1680x1050 res?
    also is it true that 1680x1050 is just stretched 1280x1024? as I'm a 1600x1200 man and I don't like 1280x1024 maybe widescreened i pos would but it'd feel like i could do more with the screen size and like I'm wasting it:\
    so would i be better off with a 24? if so what one and again would the 3850 run the games to its native res?
    cheers again

EDIT: PS what hsf for quad core as i here the cooling is gash? as they get very hot... I'd like to overclock...
    how easy is overclocking quad cores compared to my socket A overclocking experience? easy to pickup and learn if its different?
    link to a good hsf for overclocking please

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

1920 x 1200 is a different ball game really. You need to be looking at something like the 8800GT at the least if not the new 8800GTS 512mb or old 8800GTX. These are closer to or above £200.

1680 x 1050 isn't stretched 1280 x 1024 as far as i know. My GF has a 22" and I have a 20" both running that res and it looks fantastic. Loads of desktop real estate and a good compromise for middle range gaming PC's.

At 1680 x 1050 none of the cards I have mentioned will really struggle. COD4 is some kind of miracle game and seems to run flawlessly on anything.

I run it on my xps m1330 with its 8400GS at 1280 x 800 (native) with medium detail and it loves it.

It really is only crysis you will have to drastically lower detail in to run at 1680 x 1050.

My mate who's spec is the same as mine "my system", runs crysis at 1680 x 1050, medium detail no problem and it still looks fantastic. The 8800GTS we have is essentially the same performance as the HD3850 so you're fine with that card.

Plus, Crysis is rubbish anyway

Thanks

yer i heard it sucks.nice i reckon it's gonna be a 22" then as i sit bout 2 and a half feet from it tbh.
    only other thing i was wondering was... that 1680x1050 aint HD res is it:S
    so how will the dvi-hdmi make it run that res in HD? i get really comfused...
    or is it just a HD res through the graphics card that drives it or what.
    its really comfusing to me
    or will i only be able to run 1280x1080 (1080i isn't it? I'm very tired)?

oh and is it worth getting a raptor over the 500gb? I'm gonna get that just cause i can and with the cache i bet it'll be faster plus i need more storage...

i well don't know which hsf to go for though as theres choice.which is better and specically and why... and a link from scan too

ALSO (lol sorry for all this I feel such a n00b again:\ getting old haha) could you find me a decent 8800gs alternative then? with a link again from scan please. I'm tempted...

EDIT: is your system overclocked btw?
    Last edited by keef247; 18-01-2008 at 04:40 AM.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

1680 x 1050 is HD but 720i/p not 1080.

the graphics cards mentioned all have hardware decoding for HD and it will work via dvi or hdmi afaik.

1080i/p is 1920 x 1080

No point getting a raptor these days, noisey only the 150gb version has a performance gain over a 500GB which still isn't noticable enough to warrant getting one imo.

I use this cooler in all my builds. It's fantastic and super quiet

I ma however use this on next time as it gets awesome reviews

you have to buy a fan for it though.

8800GS is on pre-order here

but i would not bother to pre-order it yet, wait for the other brands to show up as, a) i don't like xfx lol and b) they might be a bit cheaper

My System was overclocked but I had to pull it apart to test another one so it's currently in peices and @ stock settings lol

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

if your copy of windows is OEM, then you need a new windows license for a new motherboard

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Why do you need a new license if you get a new motherboard?

And how do you get another license..other than paying for another copy of Windows

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    Why do you need a new license if you get a new motherboard?
    because oem windows licenses are per-pc and non-transferable (except in the case of hardware failure). microsoft define a pc as a motherboard

And how do you get another license..other than paying for another copy of Windows
    that's exactly how you do it. re-using an OEM windows license is as valid as re-using a tv license from year to year - bought it once so you don't need to again, right?

Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Well am formatting so I assume this wouldnt cause an issue for me?

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    Well am formatting so I assume this wouldnt cause an issue for me?
    if you have windows oem, and have installed it on one pc (motherboard), then the license does not allow you to install it on another. you physically are capable of doing so, just as it's physically possible to use a tv without a license, but the license terms you agreed to when you opened and installed the software explicitly forbid it.

Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

ah well lol am sure am not going to be the only person doing it xD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information