Thread: shuttle upgrade options

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking shuttle upgrade options

riiight then...hello everyone

this is the first thread i've started in about 2 and a half years so please be gentle with me!

i bought a wreck of a house 4 years ago & swapped from PC building, modding and upgrading for house building, modding and upgrading so am a bit out of the loop. (for example i only got rid of my NF7-S & overclocked Athlon XP 2500 combo 3 months ago)

i still configure / fix / upgrade PCs and laptops at work so i'm not totally out of it althogether (i have actually heard of Vista, SATA2 and DDR2!!) and i lurk here from time to time but nowhere near as much as i'd like

anyway, house is finally finished (well, almost!) so time to get some nice new computers, so here's my reason for posting

i currently have a Shuttle SB61G2 v3 which i am very sentimentally attached to, i had a life-changing experience on the day i took delivery of it so i doubt i'll ever get rid of this little thing

looking at it, it seems entirely possible to fit a motherboard from another shuttle (for example the SG31G2) into the case, possibly add a beefier PSU and i'm good to go for a few more years

has anyone tried this? if so how did you get on, any pitfalls to watch out for

and (more importantly)

where the hell can i get an SG31G2 motherboard from? i've scoured t'interweb & found nothing, there aren't even any on ebay

cheers all
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks

Re: shuttle upgrade options

It would be possible although I would suggest against it, would be better to buy say the SG31G2 and also cheaper as Shuttle motherboards are hard to get on there own, also im not sure if the heatsink is the same on those models so you might have problems with that aswell.

TBH with a shuttle system its alot easier to just start with a new barebone and transfer what you can over than to try and buy individual parts (eg the motherboard)

I know with sentiments this is'nt what you wanted to hear, but you can transfer say the faceplate and cover I would guess so that keeps 'some' of your PC (not much admitedly)
    SFF Tech - Small Form Factor might have some more info. (Mod's assume its ok to post a link to another forum?)
    Vorsprung Durch Technik

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: shuttle upgrade options

yeah...sort of what i knew already but was hoping i'd missed something that would allow me to continue using it.......cheers for the post dude
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thread Information