Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silent hard-drive?

Banned
    Thanks
    jamin you can simply create a bootable DOS floppy disk, put the Maxtor proggie on that in order to run it in a true DOS environment. Then to overcome the RAID problem (although I would definitely back up first) attatch the HD(s) to a regular IDE connector and run the proggie from a bootable floppy disk, obviously don't boot from nor modify the data on the HD(s) the proggie should simply make an adjustment in the HD's firmware telling it to use slower seeks (type of thing). You should then be able to plug the HD(s) back into your RAID setup and continue as normal but with the noise management in place. Obviously there is a slight risk but I think the proggie simply can't manipulate the HD's firmware through the RAID controller, that's why it won't do it directly.

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/module...rtid=23&page=1

Still can't find any uk retailers! Anyone had any luck?

Thanks
    Austin, I had considered that at the time. But the aggravation of it was too much! Plus this is asking for a broken stripe error!
    Beer is life, life is good!

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    Anyone come accross any other ways to reduce the noise?

Banned
    Thanks
    I think the best advice is to be VERY carefull about what HD you go for in the first place. If noise is the most important thing look towards a 5400rpm HD, perf isn't as sucky as many suggest, they are more likely to last longer, give off far less heat and most of all should be silent. Otherwise I'd suggest getting a Seagate which are known to be quiet or a Maxtor and use Noise Management to set a quieter mode. Unfort as perf is the priority in almost any PC component the noise (and heat) they produce have become very neglected.

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    I think the best advice is to be VERY carefull about what HD you go for in the first place. If noise is the most important thing look towards a 5400rpm HD
    Strangely all my encounters with a 5400rpm drive vs a 7200rpm drive, the 7200's seem to always be quieter....

Could just be the select few 5400's I've seen though...

Thanks
    Haven't owned a 5400rpm drive for a long time... I can't even remember how they sound like...
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Banned
    Thanks
    I rem going from my 60GB Maxtor 736DX 5400rpm to a 120GB Maxtor 7200rpm 8MB HD and was not at all blown away by the perf diff but seriously noticed the added noise and after ghosting my old HD the added heat too! Perhaps that 5400rpm was a little magical but the later mature 5400rpm should all have been very quiet and cool runners, excellent for 'silent' PCs, where noise/heat/lastability is the priority or for general use storage (eg backup).

Thread Information