Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silent hard-drive?

Triple Ox
    Thanks

Silent hard-drive?

Looking for something to cut down the noise my hard-drive makes... its a Western Digital 80 gig 7200rpm w/8 meg cache. I was looking at the quite pc enclosures "silent drive" but I've heard some bad reviews about it heating the hard-drive up alot more, that with a price of around £35 delivered doesn't appeal to me! So any suggestions, anyone using these sorts of things?

Cheers, Ethos

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy
    You can use the Intel Application Accellerator which lowers the accoustics of your hard drive. May suffer performance a bit though. Works on my IBM drive.

Banned
    Thanks
    The WD offerings are notoriously loud. Maxtor are a fair bit quieter and Seagate quieter still (they both use Fluid Dynamic Bearings unlike WD). You lose alittle perf by going for Seagate but they are reportedly the fastest quiet drives. Maxtor however have a little program you can use which allows you to select which mode to operate the drive in ...

1. Max perf, nhoisiest but still quieter than WD.
    2. Close to max perf, tries to be quieter without impacting perf too much.
    3. Quiet, not hugely slower but thankfully totally silent.

From experience I'd suggest you get Seagate for a much quieter drive than your WD otherwise get a Maxtor and us eht e QUIET mode for silent operation. Of course all modern 5400rpm HD's are very quiet and reliable ... perf isn't as bad as many make out either!

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    I think your kinda missing the point of this thread! I'm looking for things to make the hard-drive less noisy, don't really want to start changing the performance of the drive! Ie changing the drive itself. I was thinking more along the lines of things that will stop vibration etc.. like this, (but not this):

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/silentdrive.php

Thanks for the replys though!

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Watch for the heat with that thing.... Don't want to have the silent drive damaging your HDD

Ive heard that no-vibes are good.... lost the link though :/
    I'm sure someone will have it kicking about

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    Yea, the one with the elastic bands? Can you actually get them in the uk though?

Thanks
    I've seen, somewhere (and I can't remember), that someone basically mounted his drives on some kind of custom made rubber drive rails and put into an Antec or a Chieftec case. The result is great - all the sound energy is absorbed by the rubber before it gets to the case... Just a bit of a waste of 5.25" drive space and cabling nightmare!
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    I only used one of my 5.25" drive bays out of 4 anyhow. I realise there are d-i-y things you can do, but I was kinda looking for something specifically designed for it.

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Originally posted by spikegifted
    I've seen, somewhere (and I can't remember), that someone basically mounted his drives on some kind of custom made rubber drive rails and put into an Antec or a Chieftec case. The result is great - all the sound energy is absorbed by the rubber before it gets to the case... Just a bit of a waste of 5.25" drive space and cabling nightmare!
    Thats the novibes I'm talking about
    It does the job very well apparantly.... and does not turn the drive into a toasty

Thanks
    the silent drive kits are good but with many design faults

1) to have any screws holding the drives down u either need to have the drive upsidown (the 2 screw holes r on top) or u need the sd enclosure upsidown (on my case that wont screw in to case as different screw holes on each siide dont line up.

i chose hte best of both - hdd runs upsidedown screwed in w. the enclosre screwed aswell maks much less viabration.

the temp sticker to c if ur drive overheats is a cheap badly thought out idea aswell - it can only be used once and isnt accurate and has a min temp of 37*c iirc.
    a much better way is to get the temp from ur drives internal SMART temp sensor, u need smart enabled in ur mobo/ide controler bios and u can use many apps to find it out. i use mbm5 please dont ask me how to do this its in the help and on the main options and i aint telling anyone cos i cba just like u cba to find out for urselves.

these kits do reduce alot of niose but its only worth it for a drive with ball bearings or another type, if it has FDB bearings i doubt it wil b nioticable and these drives are nie and quiet anyway. a better soloution would be to get some dense foam, some hd->:5 1/2" drive converters, some kind of heat conductor aswell like copper or rubber

the revised sd kit model is called smartdrive kit i *think* its a enclosure made of shiny alu and i think it works in same way with foam etc.. but no heat problems. this costs more than a new 120gb dm+9 atm so dont even think about wasting ur cash on one
    these kits are NOT worth wot they cost free!!!

Thanks
    You could always use a cool drive like I did and disable the fan, the drives cuts down a reasonable amount of noise yet keeps it cool as its made of metal and conducts heat away from the hard disk.

I have since bought a silent drive and with my segate barracuda IV I can hardly hear the drive whilst in bed. And I mean... lying on my bed purposely concentrating to hear any Hard drive noise.

Thanks
    yea ive tryed that, its only my D740x that i can hear, whihc doesnt have FDB. my dm+9 120gb is noticable but i can easyly sleep with it.

also i forgot to say that the accoustics management soft does fa to reduce niose, just turn it off if u can

Thanks
    • joshwa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • PC Chips M577 AT/ATX
      • CPU:
      • AMD K6-2 500Mhz
      • Memory:
      • 128mb PC100 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 8GB Fujitsu
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (16mb)
      • PSU:
      • ATX 500watt
      • Case:
      • Midi Tower AT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 98 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" TFT Widescreen
    www.silentpcreview.com have a few different articles on DIY things you can do to make them quieter...

I used IBM Feature Tool on my Western Digitals to turn the "Acoustic Noise Feature" down, which made them much quieter on seek, with hardly any performance decrease.

I also have the hard drives on a foam layer, so that the noise from them does not get amplified by the case - there's one 20dba fan blowing over them to keep them cool.

Josh

Triple Ox
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys!

http://www.silentpcreview.com/module...rtid=23&page=1

Anyone know where to buy one of those in the uk?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    The WD offerings are notoriously loud. Maxtor are a fair bit quieter and Seagate quieter still (they both use Fluid Dynamic Bearings unlike WD). You lose alittle perf by going for Seagate but they are reportedly the fastest quiet drives. Maxtor however have a little program you can use which allows you to select which mode to operate the drive in ...

1. Max perf, nhoisiest but still quieter than WD.
    2. Close to max perf, tries to be quieter without impacting perf too much.
    3. Quiet, not hugely slower but thankfully totally silent.
    I tried using the maxtor proggy, it only works in DOS and does not detect the drives if they are on a raid controller!! I was trying to improve my disk benchies as sandra was reporting accoustic management was ON and this could impact performance!

Thanks
    mate, good news, the WD 80gb SE is a really cool -as in non-hot drive. (altho its loud as a mofo!) its totally safe to put this drive in a silent drive (one of the only 7200rpm models that is) mine's been inside one since the hd was released (over a year??) and not had any problems at all. -i've removed the drive staright after doing a defrag, and i would not call it hot. just warm, so dont worry !

Thread Information