Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a Dream...for now

Thanks

Just a Dream...for now

Hey everyone. I am hopefully going to be purchasing a computer over the next month or three, and would love it if you guys could take a look at what I have so far. If it looks good it would be nice to know, if somethings wrong I would REALLY like to know! Tell me how great I am, tell me how stupid I am, tell me what your favorite dessert is, just tell me something!!

Here's what I got

Athlon 64 3000+ $224
    Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 $229
    OCZ PC 3200 Timings rated at
    2-3-3-6 1T 512MBx2=1Gig $109x2= $218
    West Dig 120GB 7200 8mb cache SATA $96
    Windows XP

Here's what I need

Motherboard : SY-CK8 DRAGON Plus?
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...139-135&depa=1

Case : Do I want a server. It's my first home built computer and I think the extra room would make it a lot easier. Is this true? Either way I wanted the X-Viper
    http://www.xoxide.com/xviper.html
    or if money permits the Lian Li PC 75
    http://www.xoxide.com/lianlipc75.html
    or if I dont have enough for a case and seperate Power Supply the X-dreamer II
    http://www.xoxide.com/xiib.html

Power supply
    As far as brands go, Here a list of GOOD ones, decent ones, and ones to watch out for would be awesome

Cd/floppy/cooling/lights I really dont know yet, I will make that depending on which case. I already have mouse and keyboard, what about speakers?

I think that is about it, but I'm probably missing something important, so leave me some input. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    1Gb of ram is nice but 512 will usually do, if your on a budget get 1 stick of 512, u can always get another stick at a later date after you've got the "essentials*:

Its more important to have a good base 2 build on than an unbalanced system. 1 thing which i over looked while building my pc was a quality PSU, most would reccomend the expensive market leaders like Antec and Enermax, and if you have the cash get them, but two cheaper manufacturers with good quality PSU's are Sparkle and CWT, i personally got a CWT 450watt PSU this week and the build quality and materials are of a high caliber

Things which you shouldn't skimp on are :
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Ram
    Psu

Some would argue you shouldn't skimp on Graphics cards and Hd's, but imho those top 4 are most important, the rest is of preferance , if u need a big Hd then get 1, if u need a big poly pusher then get 1, there's no point having a 9800pro is if all u do is do home work on it.

If your on a budget then the case is an area that you can skimp, a good PSU is more important than a pritty case.

As for the rest im afraid i can't help as i know nout bout new A64 or whats a good mobo.

Hope this helps.

"Duffman says alot of Things" - Duffman

Thanks
    i asume hes already got the ram, form what he said above
    i doubt many people on here will have any usefull opinions on A64 stuff, as its so new, and so expensive, ud be best reading reviews about it, which should be plentyfull
    imo a quiet hdd is more important than a fast hdd, and usually the quiet hdds are available in large sizes, so quiet comes first.
    remember cpu gfx etc.. can all be overclocked later, this allows some skimping
    its best to get a goo psu. i dont know whats available in america, but antecs are good overhere (same as CWT). although i would only recommend the A series ones (which the 450 isnt! doesnt mean its in anyway bad though, just that the 550 is nicer )

one rule that i think applys to cpus, mobos, and gfx that you should be aware of - if it clocks higher than the competition its a sign that it is higher quality and should therefore be more reliable. overclockablity should be measured by performance % aswell, else crappy p4's would always win

Thanks
    lol must read and not waffle in future *cough*

*starts pointing at title and mutter's how misleading it tis be*

ps: the new psu is god! nough said.

Thanks
    I would save your money for a couple of months, until you are ready to buy a whole system. As r9800's will get cheaper after the new chipsets, and A64's will drop in price, as well more choice of motherboards.
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Thanks
    i think they'll stop producing 9800pro's when the new chipsets are released, as is the case with the 9700 pro's, so they'll be hard to come accross at a cheaper price.

I personally am staying away from 64bit till it is a bit more established/experienced (lol maybe even wait till LongHorn is out tbh!!)

Thanks
    Ooo sorry guys. That was misleading of me. No, I do not have anything except a few lights a mouse and keyboard. I meant I have these picked out...I was tired. Anyway, yes I am definately gonna wait a while. Thanks so much for the Input so far. Still searching for a good motherboard, but I'll take your advice and read some more reviews, I've just been working a lot lately so was wondering what you guys thought. Thanks so much again!!

Thanks
    Personaly I would prefer to have an Iomega Zip drive
    rather than a floppy, as these appear to be coming extinct.
    1.44Mb. these days seems nothing, at least a 250 Mb. Zip
    would be a lot better.
    ) "Tact"?, "Wot Tact"?, "I thought that was something u nailed in a carpet". )

Success, can be the result of many Failures,
    and believe me, I should know I have enough.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Sounds like a good spec dude but definately wait a while as everyone has advided

That western digital drive is a good choice, i have the 80 gig and love it. A good alternative though is maxtor especially with their awesome RMA policy.

The case... hmm if your spending all this cash on a beast of a system then could you stretch to a coolermaster or lian li case. I dont think you would regret it, look infintely better and improved cooling too. I had a few cheap ones until i finally splashed out on my blackwidow might be worth considering

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve threlfall
    Sounds like a good spec dude but definately wait a while as everyone has advided

That western digital drive is a good choice, i have the 80 gig and love it. A good alternative though is maxtor especially with their awesome RMA policy.

The case... hmm if your spending all this cash on a beast of a system then could you stretch to a coolermaster or lian li case. I dont think you would regret it, look infintely better and improved cooling too. I had a few cheap ones until i finally splashed out on my blackwidow might be worth considering
    Yeah Lian Li looks good, Its just the Xoxide are a little cheaper so if i bang it up its not such a big deal, but i was considering re painting my case black so its shinier, and the Lian Li would be cooler
    Anyone else have some advice on some more good server cases??

dgr
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yuthra253
    Yeah Lian Li looks good, Its just the Xoxide are a little cheaper so if i bang it up its not such a big deal, but i was considering re painting my case black so its shinier, and the Lian Li would be cooler
    Anyone else have some advice on some more good server cases??
    that case is naff. you MUST go for a coolermaster or lian li.

trust me, you will go round, see someone elses case and hate yourself.

oh and that case is 20lb!!!!!!

HEFTY!

i recommend a lian li pc62, CM 201 or similar.

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

dgr
    Thanks
    oh - and whilst the rest of the crowd may be hyped up by 64bit, remeber -

that mainboard won't be upgradable...
    that mainboard is an early version - tend to be a lil buggier.
    are you using a 64bit OS? thought not
    when will you use a 64bit OS? plans to flip over to *nix? if not, then you'll be waiting for longhorn - by which time that pc will be defunct.

better to save your money, build a decent 32bit CPU platform pc and get a decent hard disc - i have that WD and it just doesn't compare to my raptor.

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

dgr
    Thanks
    oh and if you'd like more informed advise, let us know what you'll be using it for

DV? gaming? compiling? web server? development?

each will require quite a different system setup!

dgr

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgr
    oh - and whilst the rest of the crowd may be hyped up by 64bit, remeber -

that mainboard won't be upgradable...
    that mainboard is an early version - tend to be a lil buggier.
    are you using a 64bit OS? thought not
    when will you use a 64bit OS? plans to flip over to *nix? if not, then you'll be waiting for longhorn - by which time that pc will be defunct.

better to save your money, build a decent 32bit CPU platform pc and get a decent hard disc - i have that WD and it just doesn't compare to my raptor.

dgr
    I've always heard and read that western digital is top of the line? Is raptor that much better. I was also considering getting a Barton over an athlon 64, but athlons just got such good reviews, i figured for 30 bucks more for comparable clock speed why not go with 64 bit?
    "that mainboard is an early version - tend to be a lil buggier."
    i have also considered this but I also, have a few months to go.

Thanks for the input, I will definately reconsider 32 bit. Anyone else have opinions on this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dgr
    oh and if you'd like more informed advise, let us know what you'll be using it for

DV? gaming? compiling? web server? development?

each will require quite a different system setup!

dgr
    Gaming!!

Thanks
    Thanks for the Bouquet, dgr,
    if you are referring to my Inwin case
    then may I say feel free if you wish to treat me.
    Its whats under the bonnet that counts.

Harry
    ) "Tact"?, "Wot Tact"?, "I thought that was something u nailed in a carpet". )

Success, can be the result of many Failures,
    and believe me, I should know I have enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information