• Asus P5K-E WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0 2.40 GHz OC @ 3.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2G Crucial PC2-6400 @ 910Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 500 Gb Samsung HD501LJ Spinpoint T
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB PowerColor HD2900PRO PCI-E 1600MHz GDDR3 600MHz GPU OC @ 833Mhz Core + 1960Mhz
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX Series
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 V2 Advanced Super Midi Tower Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Samsung SM-2232BW Black Widescreen LCD

Re: Fried memory?

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    Confirmation from who? Every module's different - just because it worked for Joe in America it doesn't mean it's not going to fry yours.... :\

And to be honest I don't think you're in a position to discuss ethics and deciding what you want to read in your threads. If you did RMA these it wouldn't be bending some rule, it's just plain theft and you covering yourself and refusing to accept the blame that you messed up. It should have nothing to do with profit margins. You'd be a thief.
    Jesus why do peeps get so upset about it? We all have our own opinions on things yes but i came here for help not a dressing down

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matlamont View Post
    Jesus why do peeps get so upset about it? We all have our own opinions on things yes but i came here for help not a dressing down
    Yiou are being helped - you are being helped to stay honest. If you don't like the advice you are being given - don't ask for anymore!

At the end of the day - what you do is up to you - but don't look to everyone to condone it.

Fact is you deliberately operated the memory above the mfr specification and therefore voided the warranty.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Hunain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5k-Vm G33 1333Fsb
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2D e6300 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS2 Oc'd 914mhz - 1Gb x 2
      • Storage:
      • SeaGate 160Gb HDD 7,200rpm , 40GB HDD 7,200rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX GTX260 Black Edition Overclocked
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master Silent Pro M600
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM690II Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 15" LCD
      • Internet:
      • 1024kbps WiMAX Wireless Broadband

I wont really get in to the ethics debate, everyone is selfish for some reason or the other, the ram seems to be fried, but the BSOD coming up is casting some doubt, the RAM might not be killled, but damaged. Anyways i dont think warranty covers it, I dont think rated specs should be exceeding, and I dont care what you do with the chips, you could simply switch one stick at a time to see if one survived.
    Homer Simpson: "It takes two to lie Marge. One to lie, and one to listen"
    Check out my Tech Blogs: Budget Gaming Rigs and The Droid Review

Registered+
    Thanks
    • matlamont's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB PowerColor HD2900PRO PCI-E 1600MHz GDDR3 600MHz GPU OC @ 833Mhz Core + 1960Mhz
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX Series
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Yiou are being helped - you are being helped to stay honest. If you don't like the advice you are being given - don't ask for anymore!

At the end of the day - what you do is up to you - but don't look to everyone to condone it.

Fact is you deliberately operated the memory above the mfr specification and therefore voided the warranty.
    Yes what i do is up to me and im not asking anyone to condone it, in fact i was only querying what GSte said.... And your relpy doesnt help me solve the problem does it? Im asking for help with a hardware issue not a personal one. Like i have said they may not be fried so until i find out if they are and what i decide to do about it, save your breath

Registered+
    Thanks
    • matlamont's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX Series
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by GSte View Post
    They will definitely 'take' more voltage than that, but for how long they would last is anyone's guess. From knowledge of Micron D9 failure rates on all modules I think you'd be very lucky to get a kit that could handle it..... the ones that are rated by the manufacturers to run on 2.3/2.4v die with alarming regularity, Team, OCZ, all of them. Who gave you this confirmation? Don't take examples from places like xtremesystem forums as safe 24/7 voltages, the users are almost certainly doing a 'suicide run' where they bump up the voltage to see what maximum RAM overclock they can acheive.
    I asked on Guru3d also, a friend of mine has the same modules and has had no problems with upping the voltage. I havent had chance to get back to my pc yet but i really cant see how they are fried because the most i put in was 2.3 and was only for a few seconds...i just read Clunk's guide on overclocking and he also says dont go more than 2 clicks from the rated voltage.

What i would like to know is weather Crucial give some leeway when stating voltage....

Thanks
    • Bhavv's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 980
      • Memory:
      • Geil Ultra Series PC3-17000 12 Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 4 Tb, Crucial M4 128 & 512 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP Platimum 1300w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift + Acer G24
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan unlimited 4G

Quote Originally Posted by Lucio View Post
    It's pretty dishonest to return them for an RMA when you quite clearly killed them...
    Overvolting for me has never actually killed my memory chips. If the ram is set so high that is is unstable, your system will always BSOD before the ram can get damaged.

If the ram actually fries a little over rated volts, there likely is something wrong with.

I've taken my current G. Skill HK promos chips up to 2.4v and nothing happened to them. I dropped it back down to the normal voltage for everyday use though.

Overclocking rarely kills PC components unless the component itself is somehow flawed. At least I have never damaged anything from overclocking and overvolting for 3+ years.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • matlamont's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX Series
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by matlamont View Post
    On another note these chips could be faulty anyway because a few people have said elsewhere that these sticks should take more voltage than what i gave them....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhavv View Post
    Overvolting for me has never actually killed my memory chips. If the ram is set so high that is is unstable, your system will always BSOD before the ram can get damaged.

If the ram actually fries a little over rated volts, there likely is something wrong with.

I've taken my current G. Skill HK promos chips up to 2.4v and nothing happened to them. I dropped it back down to the normal voltage for everyday use though.

Overclocking rarely kills PC components unless the component itself is somehow flawed. At least I have never damaged anything from overclocking and overvolting for 3+ years.
    Exactly what i was thinking

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Silly question, but do you actually know much about the chip fabrication process? As far as I've read the chips are sorted and graded from a large wafer of identical chips. From the centre, you get the best quality ones, and as you get nearer and nearer to the edge, they become less and less capable of performing.

However, it's not a clear cut line, so whilst one set of RAM might tolerate 2.4v because it was very close to being say PC8500, another set might be borderline PC6400, capable of running at the stated speeds but not so resiliant with regards to overclocking.

So your arguement that the component must obviously be flawed is half way there, but not the whole truth, the simple fact is the RAM company have certified it as capable of running on a certain voltage at a certain speed and that's all it's capable of being warrentied for. If you choose to strech it in the hopes you've got a good sample, that's your choice but I still say you shouldn't but in a dodgy RMA when you've exceeded the rated specifications...

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks
    • GSte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P6T Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 4.2GHz / TRUE
      • Memory:
      • 6GB GSkill 1600MHz cas6
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Barracuda, 2 x WD 500GB AAKS, 1TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX470
      • PSU:
      • NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W
      • Case:
      • X-Clio Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • XP Home, Vista Home Premium X64, Win7 Home X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 245B
      • Internet:
      • Be Not So Happy

A component can be flawed, but still able to operate at the specified voltage, and upping the voltage exploits the flaw and kills it.

I have damaged plenty of things when overclocking, even with the best cooling for instance the upper limit which a CPU can reach can and does lower over time, a clear indication that it is being damaged by the OC process.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • matlamont's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX Series
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):

Problem solved...I ran Chkdsk and it found a few errors which were fixed. The ram is fine and is overclocking nicely now. Thanks all

Thanks

I wonder what happened. overclock too far and you can corrupt your disk thats possible. Could be lots of reasons, other than overclocking as well I suppose.
    Glad you got it sorted it can be horrible when you have to sort these problems out.

Thanks
    • Bhavv's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 980
      • Memory:
      • Geil Ultra Series PC3-17000 12 Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 4 Tb, Crucial M4 128 & 512 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP Platimum 1300w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift + Acer G24
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan unlimited 4G

Well done. So it was in fact your Hard drive?

And to all the voltage nubs, I've had a AMD 4400+ running at 1.6v, and G. skill memory rated for 2.6v DDR 400 running at 500 Mhz and 2.75v for 2+ years.

G. skill on their own forums say that overclocking their memory is fine, and give advice on how to do so, here is a thread on it on their Micron based HZ series:

Quote Originally Posted by GSKILL
    Quote Originally Posted by doakhe
    I am curretnly running my ram at 1077Mhz at 5-5-5-15 and 2.1v on a (2:3) divider. Is this too much of an overclock? Will it degrade or kill them?

Thanks
    It should be fine

G.S
    GSkill.com :: View topic - HZ Overclock w/E6600 - Questions

Also, when I had my S939 system, I initially had some Geil BHX 2-2-2-5 ram gauranteed for 400 Mhz. In every review I read, these babies were capable of frequencies up to 550 Mhz, however mine wouldnt even go above 450 Mhz.

I emailed Geil technical support about this and complained that my ram wasnt clocking as well as it should. They said that they would be more then happy to replace them for me, but they could still only gaurantee that my new set would do DDR 400 at 2-2-2-5 timings!

Now that is fantastic service for enthusiasts. The only problem was that I would have had to send them back to taiwan for the RMA. I read around and found the G. skill 2x1 Gb based on infinion chips set and upgraded and sold my 512 meg BHX sticks.

G. Skill and Geil will both happily RMA ram damaged through overclocking. They are more then well aware that the majority of their customers buy their ram to overclock, and they cater to these enthusiasts.

Morale of the story, if you want to overclock your ram, buy G. Skill or Geil ^^
    Last edited by Bhavv; 19-02-2008 at 12:41 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • matlamont's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX Series
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by switchmode View Post
    I wonder what happened. overclock too far and you can corrupt your disk thats possible. Could be lots of reasons, other than overclocking as well I suppose.
    Glad you got it sorted it can be horrible when you have to sort these problems out.
    Im not really sure tbh but im wondering weather it was the NB voltage being set on auto? I changed that setting to 1.55 and i have now hit 1000Mhz on the memory on their stock voltage setting and everything is stable....for now at least anyway

Registered+
    Thanks
    • matlamont's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX Series
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):

Well done. So it was in fact your Hard drive?
    yes it was

G. Skill and Geil will both happily RMA ram damaged through overclocking. They cater to enthuisasts and serve them very well.
    I totally agree there because like i said, overclocking is the norm and voltage tweaking is a big part of that. If my Balistix should not exceed 2.0 volts then i would like to see a warning on them... My sticks dont even have a recommended voltage on them! lol

Thanks

If you find the maximum overclock just back it off a bit for safety and you are good to go as they say
    I like to keep a fan directed at the NB on my system they can get quiet hot and overvolting only makes it hotter.

1Ghz memory what is the final overclock ? is that 1:1 ? I dont do any super high overclocks just enough to get some more value.

Thanks

And to all the voltage nubs, I've had a AMD 4400+ running at 1.6v, and G. skill memory rated for 2.6v DDR 400 running at 500 Mhz and 2.75v for 2+ years.
    Yay, selective thread reading at it's finest...

Thumbs up for the uninformed! Oh, wait. If he can't be bothered, nor can I.

Overclocking is fine, but part of it is accepting that pushing things beyond their advertised limits can break them. To just suggest we're "nubs" because we'd misdiagnosed isn't just off, it's not helpful either. It was a genuinely solid guess given the information we had. He was also given information that it could have just been a corrupt file or 2. It still took him 27 hours to respond to that and in the meantime he posted 8 times, mainly defending himself against his own attitude.
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 19-02-2008 at 01:06 AM.

Thread Information