Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 21

Thread: DDR2 vs DDR3

  1. #1
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • UrbanKiwi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit - P35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2 PC6800 5-4-4-18
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SATA 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gecube 3870X2 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 720w Thermaltake Toughpower
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" 3000:1

    DDR2 vs DDR3

    Why is almost every gaming system I see using DDR2 RAM instead of DDR3, is it just about latency???

  2. #2
    Hello jackvdbuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Stratford
    Posts
    2,513
    Thanks
    468
    Thanked
    112 times in 95 posts
    • jackvdbuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AbiT IP35-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2Q Q9550
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Nvidia SLi Edition 4GB (2x2gb) pc2-6400 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • lots of TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 800D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Orange (about 6Mb)

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    well for 4gb of quality DDR2 your looking at £70~, DDR3 your looking at like £400 (simple guess but DDR3 is VERY expensive!)

    high latencies and a very slim performance margins make DDR2 over DDR3 the better choice!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    638
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    19 times in 18 posts
    • Bhavv's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 980
      • Memory:
      • Geil Ultra Series PC3-17000 12 Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 4 Tb, Crucial M4 128 & 512 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP Platimum 1300w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift + Acer G24
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan unlimited 4G

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    World record for Super PI 1m is currently held by G. Skill's HZ range based on Micron D9 chips which is 9.8 seconds (according to what I read). Please inform me if this is incorrect.

    Crucial ballistix is also the same thing and just as good.

    How much ram are you looking for, 2x1 Gb, or 2x2 Gb?

    Oh, your not looking for some ram

    Every gaming system including mine has DDR2 because DDR3 offers virtually no improvement to game performance over my £42 DDR2 sticks.

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • UrbanKiwi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit - P35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2 PC6800 5-4-4-18
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SATA 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gecube 3870X2 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 720w Thermaltake Toughpower
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" 3000:1

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Thanks for settling that one, I just needed confirmation.

    I am a PC self build first timer so I am therefore a bit clueless. I am probably looking to get 4 GB of Crucial DDR2, which of their range would you recommend?

  5. #5
    its all clear now
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,251
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked
    19 times in 17 posts
    • No.72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • commando
      • CPU:
      • e6300 3.50ghz artic 7
      • Memory:
      • 4gb corsair red tracers
      • Storage:
      • 320gb RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870XT
      • PSU:
      • 620 watt corsair
      • Case:
      • coolmaster 831 SE orange
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407WFP AO4
      • Internet:
      • 10 meg virgin

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhavv View Post
    World record for Super PI 1m is currently held by G. Skill's HZ range based on Micron D9 chips which is 9.8 seconds (according to what I read). Please inform me if this is incorrect.

    Crucial ballistix is also the same thing and just as good.

    How much ram are you looking for, 2x1 Gb, or 2x2 Gb?

    Oh, your not looking for some ram

    Every gaming system including mine has DDR2 because DDR3 offers virtually no improvement to game performance over my £42 DDR2 sticks.
    Hasent it been beeten yet my ram box boasts about super pi record, and they have been around for well over a year.

  6. #6
    Yeah dude! NightshadowUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    2,165
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked
    59 times in 57 posts
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670K [4GHz w/ Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 240GB Crucial M500 & 1TB HGST 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    I'm pretty sure Crucial are yet to release a 2x2GB set of DDR2 for desktops so have a gander at something like 4GB OCZ Platinum.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    638
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    19 times in 18 posts
    • Bhavv's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 980
      • Memory:
      • Geil Ultra Series PC3-17000 12 Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 4 Tb, Crucial M4 128 & 512 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP Platimum 1300w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift + Acer G24
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan unlimited 4G

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Quote Originally Posted by No.72 View Post
    Hasent it been beeten yet my ram box boasts about super pi record, and they have been around for well over a year.
    I dont know if it has, thats why I said correct me if I'm wrong

    DDR3 memory gets around 13s in Super PI 1m. It doesnt like high timings.

  8. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • UrbanKiwi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit - P35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2 PC6800 5-4-4-18
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SATA 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gecube 3870X2 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 720w Thermaltake Toughpower
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" 3000:1

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Quote Originally Posted by NightshadowUK View Post
    I'm pretty sure Crucial are yet to release a 2x2GB set of DDR2 for desktops so have a gander at something like 4GB OCZ Platinum.
    That looks like the stuff I am looking for. I take it that OCZ has as good a reputation as Crucial for reliability. I am planning to get into some overclocking as well (Intel Q6600) so I am sure I will need reliable hardware.

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Yeah dude! NightshadowUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    2,165
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked
    59 times in 57 posts
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670K [4GHz w/ Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 240GB Crucial M500 & 1TB HGST 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Yeah-ha, OCZ are very highly regarded. With PC6400 you shouldn't need to overclock the memory anyway (unless you plan on going above 3.6GHz with your Q6600).

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • SadikP's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage II Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 920@4.2
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 6x SATA various
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG GTX295
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li G70 (Custom Watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Vista64 + Xp Pro + Win7 Beta
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samy 26 + Asus 22"
      • Internet:
      • 20mbps

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    If your after 4Gb of RAM the 4GB OCZ ReaperX kit is very good

  11. #11
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • UrbanKiwi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit - P35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2 PC6800 5-4-4-18
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SATA 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gecube 3870X2 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 720w Thermaltake Toughpower
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" 3000:1

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Quote Originally Posted by SadikP View Post
    If your after 4Gb of RAM the 4GB OCZ ReaperX kit is very good

    That is some of the strangest looking RAM I have seen, major air cooling!

  12. #12
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • UrbanKiwi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit - P35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2 PC6800 5-4-4-18
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SATA 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gecube 3870X2 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 720w Thermaltake Toughpower
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" 3000:1

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Quote Originally Posted by NightshadowUK View Post
    Yeah-ha, OCZ are very highly regarded. With PC6400 you shouldn't need to overclock the memory anyway (unless you plan on going above 3.6GHz with your Q6600).
    Yeah as I am new to overclocking I definitely will not be pushing beyond 3.6GHz on my first self build!

    Can you recommend a good Mobo that will suit the Q6600 and allow a possible upgrade to a second GFX card to permot SLi later?

    cheers

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    638
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    19 times in 18 posts
    • Bhavv's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage III Extreme
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 980
      • Memory:
      • Geil Ultra Series PC3-17000 12 Gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Seagate 4 Tb, Crucial M4 128 & 512 Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP Platimum 1300w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift + Acer G24
      • Internet:
      • 3 One Plan unlimited 4G

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    This stuff is the best 4 Gb stuff currently available:

    4GB G.Skill 1066MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Memory Upgrade Chips 8-layer PCB

    The OCZ Reaper X block the adjacent ram slot, which is silly. The G. skills dont.

    </title> <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content=text/html; charset=EUC-KR> <link rel=StyleSheet HREF=skin/G_webzine/style.css type=text/css title=style> <style type="text/css" media="all"> .zbLa_td {font:12px Arial,tahoma; height:18px} </style> <scrip

    I asked overclockers if they were going to stock them and they said they are expecting in 2-3 weeks. If they are below &#163;100 I'll buy them instantly and sell my current ones

    That link is all messed up when I post it on this forum

  14. #14
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • UrbanKiwi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit - P35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2 PC6800 5-4-4-18
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SATA 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gecube 3870X2 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 720w Thermaltake Toughpower
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" 3000:1

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhavv View Post
    This stuff is the best 4 Gb stuff currently available:

    4GB G.Skill 1066MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Memory Upgrade Chips 8-layer PCB

    The OCZ Reaper X block the adjacent ram slot, which is silly. The G. skills dont.

    </title> <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content=text/html; charset=EUC-KR> <link rel=StyleSheet HREF=skin/G_webzine/style.css type=text/css title=style> <style type="text/css" media="all"> .zbLa_td {font:12px Arial,tahoma; height:18px} </style> <scrip

    I asked overclockers if they were going to stock them and they said they are expecting in 2-3 weeks. If they are below £100 I'll buy them instantly and sell my current ones

    That link is all messed up when I post it on this forum
    Thanks for the links, so many possibilities!

  15. #15
    Yeah dude! NightshadowUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    2,165
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked
    59 times in 57 posts
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 4670K [4GHz w/ Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 240GB Crucial M500 & 1TB HGST 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanKiwi View Post
    Yeah as I am new to overclocking I definitely will not be pushing beyond 3.6GHz on my first self build!

    Can you recommend a good Mobo that will suit the Q6600 and allow a possible upgrade to a second GFX card to permot SLi later?

    cheers
    General consensus is that SLi isn't a feasible upgrade path as when the time comes you're better off selling your current card and using the cash towards whatever's new on the market.

    Plus the P35 boards are generally more stable so I'd be looking at:

    - Abit IP-35 (Dark Raider) ~ &#163;73.07

    - Abit IP-35 Pro ~ &#163;112.44

    Keep checking 'Today Only' too as the above keep cropping up with around &#163;20 off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhavv View Post
    This stuff is the best 4 Gb stuff currently available:

    4GB G.Skill 1066MHz DDR2 Dual Channel Memory Upgrade Chips 8-layer PCB
    It's certainly the highest rated DDR2 I've seen but it's pretty pointless unless you're running extreme overclocks / willy-waving via benchmarks.

  16. #16
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • UrbanKiwi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit - P35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • OCZ DDR2 PC6800 5-4-4-18
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar SATA 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gecube 3870X2 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 720w Thermaltake Toughpower
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" 3000:1

    Re: DDR2 vs DDR3

    Quote Originally Posted by NightshadowUK View Post
    General consensus is that SLi isn't a feasible upgrade path as when the time comes you're better off selling your current card and using the cash towards whatever's new on the market.

    Plus the P35 boards are generally more stable so I'd be looking at:

    - Abit IP-35 (Dark Raider) ~ £73.07

    - Abit IP-35 Pro ~ £112.44

    Keep checking 'Today Only' too as the above keep cropping up with around £20 off.

    It's certainly the highest rated DDR2 I've seen but it's pretty pointless unless you're running extreme overclocks / willy-waving via benchmarks.

    Thanks again!

    Could you please take a look at my new post and tell me what you think?

    Cheers!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 72
    Last Post: 17-01-2014, 11:53 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-03-2007, 11:28 AM
  3. 128MB DDR3 vs 256MB DDR2
    By Flash7 in forum Graphics Cards
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21-07-2006, 04:19 PM
  4. IDF Fall 2004: Memory - 667 and 800 DDR2, DDR3
    By DR in forum HEXUS Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •