Thread: P4 and motherboards advice needed

Title Contender
    Thanks

P4 and motherboards advice needed

Hi Guys

I got a P4 800fsb and tried it in a 533fsb board. What should I experience from this?

Slow speeds?

BSODS?

Cheers

Title Contender
    Thanks
    surely there has to be a few P4 experts in here?

Thanks
    If u tried to run it @ 800 FSB which most 533 will allow...If ur mem is good enough it should work...but the perform won't be as good as a 800FSB board. The 845PE Chipset mobo's are meant to be the best for running 800FSB chips on 533 boards...IE the Asus P4Pe or similar...I heard they work ok, but never tried it myself!

Title Contender
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob3
    If u tried to run it @ 800 FSB which most 533 will allow...If ur mem is good enough it should work...but the perform won't be as good as a 800FSB board. The 845PE Chipset mobo's are meant to be the best for running 800FSB chips on 533 boards...IE the Asus P4Pe or similar...I heard they work ok, but never tried it myself!

what would you say this was then

I have a P4 2.6c 800fsb with HT

I have a MSI 655 MAX 533 P4 board

the fsb goes upto 250

I put the P4 in and it detects it as 100fsb therefore giving me a speed of 1.3ghz

the max my board will allow me to raise the fsb without non POSTing is 185 giving me around 2.4ghz

I can get into windows but it takes an age and sometimes it just stops in windows and I have to reboot, but I get no BSODS

is this the CPU or the board not happy with a CPU that has superior fsb and HT

Title Contender
    Thanks
    furtehr to this my ram is PC2700 the max teh board allows but I have set the dividers to make the ram 166mhz and the CPU 200mhzx4 but doesnt POST

Thanks
    Sounds like the chipset cant handle it...As they were designed for 133 (533 FSB), you would be very lucky to get 200FSB outta them or an old 533FSB chip...I would advise you got a new motherboard

Title Contender
    Thanks
    even when running at 100mhz bus (400fsb) and running at 1.3ghz its still like a slug

Title Contender
    Thanks
    does this make any sense?

Pentium 4 system running slow

If you are using a Pentium 4 and using any OS older than Windows XP, it is best to install your OS from scratch. This is because the SSE and SSE2 registers that the Pentium 4 uses are not something that will "plug and play". There are libraries and registry entries that are made during the OS install.

When you install your OS from scratch (scratch meaning formatted hard drive), the very first thing that needs to be installed is the chipset drivers (the INF patch) included with your motherboard. If the OS tries to plug and play other devices prior to having a chance to install the INF patch, CANCEL these prompts until you can get to a desktop and install the drivers from the CD provided by the motherboard manufacturer.

Title Contender
    Thanks
    anyone else got any ideas

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    your chipset (845 based?) wont handle 800fsb. That's it. Ive never tried an 800 in a 533 board, but it looks like it just doesnt recognise it and it defaults at 100fsb in a sort of "safe mode" and the locked multiplier (13x?). My i845e wouldnt handle more than 178mhz stable, but that was with a 533 ES chip though, rarely did they do 200 iirc.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Title Contender
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
    your chipset (845 based?) wont handle 800fsb. That's it. Ive never tried an 800 in a 533 board, but it looks like it just doesnt recognise it and it defaults at 100fsb in a sort of "safe mode" and the locked multiplier (13x?). My i845e wouldnt handle more than 178mhz stable, but that was with a 533 ES chip though, rarely did they do 200 iirc.

would this cause major instabilty even at the 100mhz QDR speeds

because its taking 10 mins to load up windows xp

then everything is very very slow but stablish as in no bsods no reboots

and the CPU is happy at 30'c

Thread Information