Thread: Pinnacle Tv Card Audio Capture

MurphmanL

Pinnacle Tv Card Audio Capture

I just purchased a TV Tuner Card yesterday from Pinnacle, its a Pc Tv Rave and it comes up great, however when i try to capture from it I only get video and no audio. Also, to get audio from the tv i have to connect some speakers to the Sound socket on the cap card, however the card did come with an external audio cable. I have tried connecting it to my soundcard but i dont know exactly how it works. I have a C Media PCI 4.1 Surround Card, with the latest drivers, and i believe my rear speaker output shares as a line in, so to use the line in i must remove my back speakers.

Anyway to get to the point, I want to be able to obviously capture video and audio together, how can i setup my card to do this? I capped a program with audio earlier, but I had to use my mic to record from the speakers, producing poor results and synchronisation issues... any ideas ppl? So the question really is:
    How do u setup a Tv Card for Audio capture as well as video?
    I just need to connect it properly to my soundcard. Suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks
    • floppybootstomp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 Sandybridge Quad Core 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128Gb SSD; 1Tb for games; 500Gb for data
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 1Gb GTX 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network
    I'm using the same capture card and Pinnacle Studio 8 software.

To capture audio I take the audio out from source (in your case, your TV, in mine, a VCR) to the line in of my sound card or onboard sound. Then I select audio source within software and set sound levels.

It works. No sync probs.

MurphmanL
    Thanks for that, but the only thing is, my vcr is connected via aerial so i have to tune it in, so i still need a way to make the audio come through to my sound card... :s

Thanks
    • floppybootstomp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7 Sandybridge Quad Core 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 128Gb SSD; 1Tb for games; 500Gb for data
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 1Gb GTX 560
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • Antech 900 Gamers Case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Ben Q EW2730V 27"
      • Internet:
      • Zen as ISP; Linksys Wireless Router; 4 machine network
    OK, incoming aerial is to VCR, then connected to TV via aerial lead/coax socket, correct?

Have you a SCART socket on your TV? What you need is a Scart to phono converter. Basically, it's a Scart plug with three phono sockets on the back of it - Audio Left, Audio Right & Video.

You need a two x phono plug to 3.5mm stereo jack lead to transfer sound. The two phono plugs go into the Scart/Phono converter, 3.5mm jack goes into line-in on sound card. It should work on either the TV or VCR.

tbh, I'm not entirely sure that would work, I've never tried to record TV programmes, but when I record from VCR, I switch it to AV channel 1 or two, then both audio and video are outputted through Scart socket.

Scuse me, I've been down the pub a while, will have to think about this

You will need that Scart/phono lead converter & associated leads though, unless TV or VCR has phono sockets, in which case no converter required, just use phono leads.

MurphmanL
    Quote Originally Posted by floppybootstomp
    OK, incoming aerial is to VCR, then connected to TV via aerial lead/coax socket, correct?

Have you a SCART socket on your TV? What you need is a Scart to phono converter. Basically, it's a Scart plug with three phono sockets on the back of it - Audio Left, Audio Right & Video.

You need a two x phono plug to 3.5mm stereo jack lead to transfer sound. The two phono plugs go into the Scart/Phono converter, 3.5mm jack goes into line-in on sound card. It should work on either the TV or VCR.

tbh, I'm not entirely sure that would work, I've never tried to record TV programmes, but when I record from VCR, I switch it to AV channel 1 or two, then both audio and video are outputted through Scart socket.

Scuse me, I've been down the pub a while, will have to think about this

You will need that Scart/phono lead converter & associated leads though, unless TV or VCR has phono sockets, in which case no converter required, just use phono leads.
    Cheers for the help, I managed to solve my problem and am now capturing things really well.. however now im wondering if my graphics card is really as good as it says on the tin... :s

Thread Information