Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another 'what do you think of this build' thread :-)

he of many questions...
    Thanks
    • tensim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) Corsair TwinX XMS2 DHX
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • 650W Be Quiet Dark Power PRO
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

Smile another 'what do you think of this build' thread :-)

Hi All, first time poster asking one of the more common questions I suspect: what do you think of this build? I've never spec'd a 'custom' PC before, so I'm kind of learning as I go! Here's what I'm looking to put together at the moment:

Antec P182 Case
    Corsair 620HXUK PSU
    Asus P5K motherboard
    Intel Q6600 processor (maybe a Q9450 if the extra GBP90 is worth it?)
    Asus Silent Knight II CPU Cooler
    4GB Corsair XMS2 6400C5 RAM
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HD
    Samsung SH-S203 DVD Writer (x2)
    XFX 512MB 8800GTS XXX (Alphadog Edition)
    Vista 64bit Home Premium

Total cost for this from CCL Computers is GBP983 inc build cost & shipping (and 1 year on-site warranty)

So what do you think? Can I do better for around a thousand pounds? I'm speccing this PC with an eye for future upgradeability, as I kind of expect to buy a new Nehalem based quad-core CPU next year (if the performance increase of the new architecture is worth it... the rumor mill seems to suggest it will be, though rumors are just that, rumors! Nehalem will mean a new motherboard as well, so that's why I've gone with the P5K, is this OK?)

For the moment I'll probably overclock the 6600 a little to get it up to 3.0GHz, which shouldn't be a problem should it? Will the P5K allow this?

The computer is primarily used for Photoshop CS3, but I also enjoy PC games, it's just that my current Pentium M laptop doesn't play most of the current titles (I really like the look of Crysis and Supreme Commander, so keen to try them out!)

Any advice would be gratefully received, I look forward to reading your thoughts and suggestions!

Cheers

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Re: another 'what do you think of this build' thread :-)

Antec P182 Case
    Each to their own on cases. That one isnt my cuppa. I dont like cases with doors, but others here really like it.

Corsair 620HXUK PSU
    I dont like these. (Sorry Mike...here we go!) Good power but poor quality connectors. Poor RMA service for anyone outside of the USA.
    Take a look at this one....The group tests are great for it aswell: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK . It may well be £20 more its a beast and will outlive the Corsair.

Asus P5K motherboard
    Not an ASUS fan. Their CS isnt good tbh. I am a bit of an ABIT fan...unfortunately they are desserting the UK aswell now.

Intel Q6600 processor (maybe a Q9450 if the extra GBP90 is worth it?)
    All good there. The Q9450 isnt worth the extra cash though. Stick with the Q6600

Asus Silent Knight II CPU Cooler
    Dont know alot about this but i can vouch for this: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK and this: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK . Both excellent coolers.

4GB Corsair XMS2 6400C5 RAM
    Once again. This wouldnt be my choice. There is better (or every bit as good) out there for cheaper. Apparently its not a great overcloker either. This is more like it: G.Skill 4GB DDR2 PQ PC2-6400C5 (2x2GB) CAS5 Dual Channel Kit (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ) or this: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2 (OCZ2G8004GK)

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HD
    Nice drive. If you order though, be careful you actually get an F1. Some companies are send out the old 1TB drive in its place. Not on purpose i wouldnt think but it is happening.

Samsung SH-S203 DVD Writer (x2)
    Personal choice. All much the sameness really.

XFX 512MB 8800GTS XXX (Alphadog Edition)
    Leave XFX alone. Not great CS and overpriced. Try this: Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK . I recently did a build using one of these and it is a great card. As good a performer as the XFX but £35 cheaper. Gainward are a very good make.

Vista 64bit Home Premium
    Nice

Hope that helps a little.

he of many questions...
    Thanks
    • tensim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

Thanks for taking the time to reply Blitzen, appreciated!

I'm a little limited in my choice of components as I'm only looking at what cclonline.com have on their inventory... They're the only place I can find that lets you pick and mix ALL components and also offers a build service (GBP70 including 1 year onsite warranty)...

Do you know of any others that do this (I don't think scan or ebuyer do, do they?)

any other thoughts/advice from the forum? thanks :-)

TGA
    Thanks

That is almost the same as my original build. I would definitly reccomend the antec p182 very smart. Seems good i would mainly agree with Blitzen, but suppose it depends on your budget

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

i'd have to dissagree with blitzen on the corsair side of things, the HX620w will do everything you chuck at it, the service is good, the connectors are not shoddy, and the PSU quality is great, i have one, my brother has one, and we swear by them.

just my 2p worth
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb

PSU - the Corsair HX520 is perfectly adequate for this system. And I've not found any problems with the connectors (nor have I heard of anyone who has). I like Enermax too, and have a 720W Infiniti, but the HX520 is a real bargain IMO.

DVD drives - I like 2 drives too, but I would get something different for the second, rather than 2 the same. I recommend Lite-On as they are very good at reading poor discs. The Samsung is a great choice as a writer, as well as being quiet and shorter than other drives.

he of many questions...
    Thanks
    • tensim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

I'm going to be getting a 24" monitor as well, budget for this is around GBP500... any thoughts? It HAS to be a good panel for image proofing, then gaming as a secondary consideration...

I was looking at the Hazro HZ24W, which is a S-IPS panel (apparently a good all-rounder?). I've been quoted GBP322 plus VAT for this...

Resolution is 1920x1200, will the 8800GTS be up for this (I'm assuming yes, though might struggle a little with Crysis?)

Keep the thoughts coming, really appreciated!

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

I'd agree with blitzen for most of it.

obvisously i'm going to argue about that PSU though. I do now appreciate that the connectors could be better but they are handy in the P182 which I personally think is a fantastic case, door or not (it's double hinged and folds flat lol)

Anyway, the corsair. As has already been mentioned your system would be fine with the 520W which is what I would get. If you buy it from scan (dunno about anywhere else) you get the full 5 years warranty covered by them, so no messing around sending things to the USA etc..

For the HSF.. I like scythe too but I use the ninja Rev B.. Goes great in the P182, makes not noise that you can notice. The other scythes mentioned would probably do this also though.

The GTS is fine for 1920 x 1200. The 9800GTX is a touch better as is the older 8800GTX but the GTS is a great compomise bangs for bucks imo. I'd also stay aways from XFX though.. don't like them at all.

HDD wise, i'm sure the samsung is fine. People are often very divided on these and I only ever use Western Digital. They havn't let me down yet so it's all I feel comfortable recommeding but others would do the same for other brands.. like maxtor *spits*

For the motherboard i'd get the abit IP-35 dark raider if you are just after a basic but decent motherboard. If you do want asus then probably the P5K-E wifi

EDIT: just fully read the original post (i know i know lol) no current motherboards will be good for Nehalem afaik. It should be a totally new socket. If i'm wrong and these are just the 1600mhz FSB chips, i dont think the P5K is any good for that either.

As far as this CCL thing goes.. What happens warranty wise after the 1 year. Most of these parts come with 3 years to a lifetime warranty.. do you get this still?

I'm going to be annoying now and tell you to build it yourself lol.
    Last edited by staffsMike; 10-04-2008 at 12:30 AM.

he of many questions...
    Thanks
    • tensim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

I have thought about putting this together myself... it doesn't seem that hard from what I've read around the web, bit like a high-tech Lego kit I guess (though much more expensive if you get it wrong!) Just how hard/easy would it be?

Warranty wise, if you have an issue with an own-build I'm assuming you'll be dealing with the individual component manufacturer, is this a pain? How often do things break with own builds? I've had a few computers over the years and have never had any hassles with them, my current laptop is 3 years old and out of warranty (which I've never had need to use...) Is an own build more likely to need a warranty claim??

Convince me that building this myself is worth it and I'll certainly give it a good long thought! Do you need any expensive tools, that might make the decision for me as I don't have any and would have to buy them...

cheers

he of many questions...
    Thanks
    • tensim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

Also... is it worth including a 150GB Raptor as a primary OS drive (and also for use as a Photoshop scratch drive)? Will I notice a real world difference?

cheers

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

And I've not found any problems with the connectors (nor have I heard of anyone who has)
    You have now.
    I have Enermax and Corsair PSUs and although the Corsair is more than adequate for most people, i found it to be not as good a quality, in particualr the modular connectors.

i'd have to dissagree with blitzen on the corsair side of things, the HX620w will do everything you chuck at it
    So will most higher end PSus. Doesnt make it the best buy though does it?

the service is good,
    If you live in the USA its good. If you buy from Scan its OK. If you did neither of those then its bad enough to warranty not RMAing it if it goes wrong as the shipping to USA would be very expensive.

the connectors are not shoddy
    I didnt say they were. I said they were of a poorer quality than what is expected from a manufacturer of Corsair quality.
    If you ever get the chance, take a look at the Hiper/Enermax connectors. The new Tagan has fantastic ones. They are very good quality. The Corsair ones i would par with XCLIOs connectors.
    Last edited by Blitzen; 10-04-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks
    • ikix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 Quad-GT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 (OC to 3.0GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD, 320GB Seagate, 160GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • P182
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2009WFP

Quote Originally Posted by tensim View Post
    I have thought about putting this together myself... it doesn't seem that hard from what I've read around the web, bit like a high-tech Lego kit I guess (though much more expensive if you get it wrong!) Just how hard/easy would it be?

Warranty wise, if you have an issue with an own-build I'm assuming you'll be dealing with the individual component manufacturer, is this a pain? How often do things break with own builds? I've had a few computers over the years and have never had any hassles with them, my current laptop is 3 years old and out of warranty (which I've never had need to use...) Is an own build more likely to need a warranty claim??

Convince me that building this myself is worth it and I'll certainly give it a good long thought! Do you need any expensive tools, that might make the decision for me as I don't have any and would have to buy them...

cheers
    About 5 months ago i put a build together for my friend, he had spent £1000 so it was worrying considering it wasn't my stuff i could mess up, but it all went fine and was easy. Just get a website up on another computer that shows you a step by step guide (incase you get stuck, but when you have everything infront of you it will make sense without a guide) and the manuals that come with everything will be helpful with diagrams for your exact stuff, everything you need to be told is reachable. Its lengthy the first time you do it but it can be very satisfying once its done, gives you the knowledge to do it in the future and is DEFINATELY worth saving £70 which could be spent on a better component.

he of many questions...
    Thanks
    • tensim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

Hmmm... To be honest, I do like the idea of putting my system together myself, just a bit nervous is all!

What web resources would you recommend for a first-time novice builder?

cheers

he of many questions...
    Thanks
    • tensim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 640GB WD AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD 4870
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cosmos S
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2709W
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20MB+

Also, who're the best online retailers for pc components?

thanks

Thanks
    • kmac's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2 Samsung F3 500GB each
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD4770
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu 82+ 525W
      • Case:
      • Lain -Li PC-7FN Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Prof 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M

There are a few good online retailers - you should shop around for price though.

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK is quite popular here, though not always the cheapest.

You could try Ebuyer - Cheap Computers, Laptops, Digital Cameras, TVs & more! as well.

Also Overclockers UK tend to have goodprices for memmory and HSFs

Personally, I have also used CCL Computers - Awarded Best Online Retailer 2007 & 2006 for Laptops, Desktops & Computer Hardware and dabs.com - PC Hardware, Components, Software, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players and found them to be relaible, though I haven't used dabs for a few years now.

Thanks

I just finished building my second computer ever, it was a lot easier than the first time, and quicker (apart from the screaming noise when I first powered up, that I never figured where it came from after it disappeared when I pulled everything out and put it all back in again one piece at a time). Also, for a first time build, don't do an SFF build, the bigger the case the better so you can see what you're doing, and take the time to work out the neatest way to route your cables A lot of the bigger cases have toolless assembly which was great on my first time build, but my SFF only needed me to find a Phillips screwdriver in order to do it, so it's not like they need any special tools. Put the money you save on building the pc into better components, it's worth it (it's just a big 3D jigsaw puzzle really )

My advice is if you can find someone who knows what they're doing with pc builds either to sit with you as you do it, or be online to answer questions in Real Time (this helps if you have a camera handy as well). Oh, and remember to earth yourself periodically.

And last but not least, don't build so late into the evening that your new puppy then plays up when you throw him outside for his last wee of the evening and decides that outside is better when you want him back in so you can get to bed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information