Thread: PSU fun with a p3

Thanks

Question PSU fun with a p3

JUst bought a gheto case from a flat mate, being a dumb as i didn't even bother looking at the case first to see what it was. Got a 145w atx PSU and some old school form factor case (y'know the one with the huge keyboard port). I've also got a micro/mini (who knows) -atx p3 mobo.. What do you reckon to my chances of running the mobo from the 145w and the rest of the junk i am throwing in there with an old 250w AT supply?

Thanks
    I've seen PIII's run on that kind of power.

You say you're sticking the ATX motherboard in a case with a "huge keyboard port" - would that be a babyAT case? If so, you might need to do some cutting for the I/O panel on the mobo to be accessible, otherwise you won't be able to plug devices in!

Not sure about the case - but the PSU: possibly. The 145 watt rating might be sustained rather than peak - I know I have some old PSU's that use the "sustained" school of measurement. Check that out.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    hey, hey that was a quick response... babyAT sounds bout right.. od that it came with a ATX power supply. modding will be sorted out by my friend mr hammer (jokes). Not sure bout sustained bit... no mention of the word, is it k if i send you a pic of the power supply?

Thanks
    insane.k - look on the sticker on the side of the psu and get the rating for 5v+3.3v combined, and the total wattage of 3.3+5v combined. 12v doesnt realy matter atall.
    what speed p3 is it? the fater ones probaly use about 40W which doesnt leave much for the rest you want to run

Thanks
    Hey hey- alomsot forgot about this post- soz for taking so long to reply.. Its a P3 450, couldn't see any reference to the W of the 5 and 3v combined. But you say bout needing 40w, that should be alright as i am gonna run evrything else on an ol AT supply and there not gonna be too many expansion cards sittin in there

Thanks
    well i have a amd k6-2 500 here which runs fine upto 600mhz on my 200w at psu. no case though,it was too big so i took it out and shoved the hole lot (including the hdd's) into a cardboard box. cardboard is good for modding, you only need a sharp nife and or scissors

Thanks
    Love a good ghetto mod... at the mo we building a beer cooler out of an ol case... infact its the one i've been talking about- ha ha. The things i do (electric shock) for an ice cold beer.

Thread Information