Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, tell me some...

Banned
    Thanks

Ok, tell me some...

I've never done any overclocking before, but i have played with hadware as in fitting thing, chainging, removing, etc...

Anyway, as i am planning on upgrading in the near future and do plan to tinker with overclocking i wanted to get a few things straight...

For one, what are all these "multiplier settings" i see mentioned everywhere.. i figure they are changed in the though.
    Also, RAM timings, i see number like 2-3-2-2 mentioned or whatever, what are these all about, etc.

Anything of interest or anything i should know, basically what this thread is for.

Banned
    Thanks
    CPU speed is derived from the multiplier x FSB. So an AthlonXP2600+ runs at 2.08ghz and is 166 x 12.5 (FSB 166 is without DDR so is effectively 333mhz). To o/c it you can either alter the FSB or the multiplier, both of which depend mostly on your mobo. Raising the FSB often makes other things run out of spec like your PCI, AGP and RAM so is not ideal. Alterring the multiplier is the most useful way and you can even set it lower in order to run with a faster FSB. Using the XP2600+ example above you could lower the multiplier and use 10.5 x 200 = 2.10ghz providing your mobo and RAM can run at that speed (400FSB inc DDR).

To alter the multiplier your mobo needs to support it either through the BIOS or on the mobo in the form of dips or switches. Even if your mobo does support multiplier adjustment (aka frequency adjustment) you need a CPU which is unlocked (allowing the mobo to dictate the multiplier). You can hw mod the CPU but ALL TbredB and Barton based CPUs are unlocked and great o/c'ers. You will often find complications arising due to the 5th FID bit on the CPU. The 5th FID bit is needed for multipliers over 12.5x and few mobos can understand this. If your CPU is above this it may appear locked otherwise you will most likely find 12.5x the maximum you can select.

Panzer Division Marduk PanzerKnight's Avatar
    Thanks
    man that reminds me, wot happened to that cool ass newbie sticky on overclocking? i found that useful

Banned
    Thanks
    As for RAM timings (2-2-2-5 etc) the lower the number the less latency there is (waiting for your RAM to refresh) and hence the 'faster' it runs. The diffs between the slowest (highest eg 2.5-3-3-7) timings and the fastest (lowest eg 2.0-2-2-5) timings is actually around 1% so not worth forking out silly amounts of money for. You may wish to make the latency higher in order to run the RAM at a faster physical speed, eg PC2700 CL2.0 may run happily as PC3000 CL2.5 or even PC3200 CL2.5.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Mozzer - The 2-5-2-2 numbers relate to delays in the system when trying to perform operations.

These operations are measured in clock cycles, and work at the most basic level of the machine. IT can in certain high memory bandwidth operations make applications much more than 1% more efficent, but it does depend on Very low level compilers running the most basic machine instructions, of which everything else is based.

Best way to learn overclocking is by actually having a need to do it. Personally overclocking for no reason is pointless. If you need to play game X quicker etc. Then look into it, but if its just so you can get 16K 3dmark's don't bother.

You'll shorten your CPU and system life span and put yourself at risk of component breakdown.

TiG

Thanks
    • Rabs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 Pro Nvme, 1TB Seagate HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 970OC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Ethusiast 850W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Stacker STC 101
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq GW2760 27"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable 200/12
    The easiest overclock virtually guaranteed overclock must be the P4 route.

Get a good Abit board (IS7 etc) and a 200FSB P4 CPU with Hyperthreading (2.4Ghz being the best price/performance ratio atm) and your almost guaranteed a 400mhz overclock with a decent HSF and memory (Coolermaster Aero 4 and Corsair ram spring to mind...)

The choice is yours, I talk from experience...

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by TiG
    Best way to learn overclocking is by actually having a need to do it. Personally overclocking for no reason is pointless.

You'll shorten your CPU and system life span and put yourself at risk of component breakdown.
    A lot depends upon the component in question. Many of the low end of a partic family can easily run as fast as the higher members of the same family, the technology is much more capable but the chip manu's clock them down to fill a market segment or to ensure high yields. Practically all ...

* GF3TI200 could get very close to GF3TI500 speeds.
    * GF4TI4200 could easily surpass the GF4TI4400/4800SE.
    * Rad9500PRO could clock higher than a Rad9700pro leading to perf above the Rad9700nonPRO even with 'only' 128bit DDR.
    * TbredB AthlonXP1700+ to XP2600+ or even XP2800+.
    * Barton AthlonXP2500+ to XP3000+ or even XP3200+.

If you know the part you're getting or have got, o/c'ing can make a LOT of sense so long as you take small steps, test thoroughly for stability, step back a little when you find the limit and avoid excessive voltages. It's a huge simplification to say any o/c'ed component will be damaged if run faster than it is set to at default. Of course no o/c is ever certain and it will void your warranty ... just be sure you understand what you're doing.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Originally posted by Rabs
    The easiest overclock virtually guaranteed overclock must be the P4 route.
    xp1700?

I've seen overclocking on both p4's and AMD's and imo amd is the most impressive. 1.5ghz as stock, 2.3 - 2.5ghz oc'd all from a £45 chip.

the 2.4c's may be able to hit 3ghz and above but they come at nearly triple the price.

Thanks
    • Rabs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq GW2760 27"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable 200/12
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by TiG
    Best way to learn overclocking is by actually having a need to do it. Personally overclocking for no reason is pointless.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok.... but a good point I got from various forums, yeah ok so we overclock, but how long is the lifespan of the modern cpu? omg my 2.4 cpu looks paltry in about 2 1/2 years time... co0mpared to the 4 ghz out now...

Live for the moment, chances are that the overclocked cpu will be sold on ebay or to a mate in few years time...

FYI I sold a Duron 700 system overclocked to a friend (who fully knew it was overclocked) at 950mhz, 2 years ago I explained that it was overclocked and this would reduce the cpu life, but by the time she replaces this would be like P133 MB's are today...

If your a hardened pc addict, the chances are you'll replace within 2-3 years anyway...

At the end of the day the choice is yours, but think about cpu life in the long term...(ie if your an enthusiast would you still be running a P133 in 1999, 5 years later... our survey says I dont think so...)

Take care.. the decision is yours...

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah i'm getting the barton 2500+ and saw some mention of overclocking to a 3200+.
    How would an OC'd 2500+ at 3200+ copare with say a 2.4Ghz P4???

What kind of cooling would i need, i plan on getting an Aero 7 lite cpu cooler. and having about 2 / 3 case fans in...

Thanks
    • Rabs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq GW2760 27"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable 200/12
    tbh, sod the amd route, I have a P4 2.4B clocked at 2.8 air cooled with a coolermaster silent heat pipe, it doesn't have half (if any) of the stability probs of my previous AMD systems (no offence intended).

All my friends now build P4 overclocked systems because its that easy to do out of the box...yay!

Of course I dont imply you will have success using the setup but tbh I very much doubt you will have any probs whatsoever

Like I said the choice is yours but Im just giving you previous experience of mine and my friends setups...

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Stability Problems?

I've got an xp2000 @ xp2200 speeds stable in a shuttle even in this heat. My mate steve is running an xp1700 @ xp3200 on a hsf meant for an xp2800 with few problems.

I've never had a problem with the stability of my amd set up, the last p3 i had couldn't manage a decent uptime in hot weather like this though.

Banned
    Thanks
    The P4 is definitely becoming ever more attractive. In fact you could pick up a i845PE based mobo and P4 512k 1.8ghz or 2.6ghz CPU and o/c the heck out of it ... sure you lose the 800FSB CPU support and hence HT but that comes at a hefty price. The P4C 800FSB 2.4ghz is very attractive but as said even that 'lowly' CPU carries a fair price. I much prefer AthlonXP kit because it's so CHEAP, is far more flexible thanks to multiplier adjustment, and the XP1700+ (TbredB) & XP2500+ (Barton) cost next to nothing yet almost always o/c to staggering heights. Heck if they don't (never heard of that yet) you can just buy another one and give that a spin!

As for cooling be sure to have a tiny amount of good compound applied (AS or CM) and then there's no need to fork out for the top HSF, the Volcano 11 is incredible value and only £14 from Dabs too! Rem taking the £40 1.47ghz XP1700+ to 2.1ghz is like taking a P4 from 1.7ghz to 3.0ghz but nothing needs to run out of spec!

PS. I have to say I'd love a HT P4 2.4ghz 800FSB PC though, by the time I can afford one the Hammer will most probably be affordable and most likely the better option...

Thanks
    • Rabs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq GW2760 27"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable 200/12
    Everyone has there own opinions my friend, tbh tho far fewer people have problems with any P4 DDR system than any AMD system...

It's all about choice at the end of the day, do you have a system that says woohoo we can do 2.2ghz or a system that can do 2.8Ghz with SSE2 extensions. Ok I admit all depends on what your doing on your pc in general. Unfortunately the vast majority of newbies etc will look at clock speed, (although im an AMD fan also) ooooooh 2.2Ghz compared with 2.8 Ghz (for example), the p4 will leave the AMD for dust. It takes the educated person to think otherwise.. but thanks to intels marketing machine more mhz = more speed, and I'm sorry there's nothing we can do about it.

From experience. although I don't like to generally say this (etc etc), the P4 leaves the Athlon for dust. try DIVX encoding etc (2.4Ghz P4 vs AXP 2400+ in TMPG encoding).

OK ok so I admit the Athlon has its advantages but the days are numbered and until the AMD AXP 64 is released the P4 reigns..

I have big hopes on the AXP 64, a 2ghz AXP leathering a 3.4Ghz P4 I don't think so... lets see what happens...

Thanks
    • Rabs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia 970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq GW2760 27"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Cable 200/12
    oh btw mozzer, do the words Fleetwood and Amiga mean anything to ya?

If not it's a different person, take care

Banned
    Thanks
    Umm, well, i live in Blackpool?
    Amiga? Whats that Im 15.

Thread Information