Thread: Explorer 99% CPU usage ARGHHHH!!!

Thanks

Angry Explorer 99% CPU usage ARGHHHH!!!

hello,

i have formatted everything on my drive and used every anti virus anti trojan program i can find but it keeps happening explorer uses all the cpu in task manager and i cant do anything apart from close and reopen explorer does anyone know what this is because its really starting to get me pissed off now and its been happening for a wile i thought the reinstall i did would get rid of it but its seems its hasnt

any ideas anyone please let me know if you do

thx

Umbra Messor
    Thanks
    I dont know if this is related but i get a second MSNMGS (MSN Mesenger) Open that takes up 99% CPU Usage i have to closes that but if i try and delete it my PC Locks up so i think its one of them MS Updates cuz its been doing it since Service Pack 1 went on

Abit NF7-S V2.0 || XP1700 @ 2.43ghz (1.825V) 211FSB || 2 * 512MB twinmos @ 422Mhz (7-3-2-2)
    SLK-900, Delta Screemer & AS3 || Radeon 9800pro 128MB 425.25/366.75
    LG Combi drive || LG DVD RW || 2 * 120GB IBM || 60GB Maxtor USB

Kensey66 - XBL
    Thanks
    • Sk!mD4Rk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E WS Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q9450
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1tb raid0, 1tb external
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870
      • PSU:
      • Antec truepower 580
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Del 2407
      • Internet:
      • 2mb plusnet
    Task manager should show you what programs are running and the percentage of cpu time that they are using. If you click the cpu bar it will sort from highest to lowest so you can see the task stealing all the cpu time.

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Sk!mD4Rk
    Task manager should show you what programs are running and the percentage of cpu time that they are using. If you click the cpu bar it will sort from highest to lowest so you can see the task stealing all the cpu time.
    I think they have already done this.... and hence why they are asking how to prevent certain applications stealing the cycles

Registered+
    Thanks
    Windows XP by any chance? i think sp1 fixes this, but it's 1 reason i dont use XP

Thanks
    Originally posted by <De@thW!sh>
    Windows XP by any chance? i think sp1 fixes this, but it's 1 reason i dont use XP

ewwwwwwww XP no way

I use 2kpro sp1 its been fine for a few years up untill last few monthsinfact the explorer thing hasnt happned since before this thred

Iwork in a comp shop at weekends and have seen this sort of thing before a guy brought a pc in with a certain avi file on his hdd and when you opened the folder it was in, it started to do the same thing as mine does now it uses all the cpu in explorer now i am not one for kazza cause its dodgy for viruses n stuff and ive rienstalled windows to sort this thing out.

Also i have read a page somewhere where if you map network drive on the network (like i do) and i turn off one of the pc's that have been mapped then this could cause explorer to do this?

so anyone know much about this and have any advice

cheers

Thanks
    Originally posted by <De@thW!sh>
    You have scoured MS knowledge base? Otherwise its going to take you less time to repair winXP on top of itself than it is to try to hunt down obscure individual fixes.

Edit: lol - all that talk of winXP and I've mistakenly posted the answer as if you were using it. Can win2k be repaired ala winXP?

Also, do the pair of you not realise the irony of your "ewwwww XP" comments whilst you have a broken win2K situation on your hands?
    Last edited by Trickle; 11-08-2003 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks
    i think all the xp users out there have soaked the net up with dodgy mem and cpu eating probes and thats why i got a problem

Thanks
    just a thought, but that CPU usage problem occurs if you install USB 2.0 support on XP without Sp1, you havn't installed USB2.0 drivers recently have you ? Along shot, but just a possibility
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    hmm thx for the reply i have usb2 on my system but i am unsure if this is the problem i use many usb devices and also just got a usb pen drive could be something to keep my eye on tho i suppose thx

Thread Information