Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watercooling Advice

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Watercooling Advice

Alright, first time I'm ever asking for advice. I rarely ask but I don't want to spend my money on crap water cooling components. Basically I'll just be cooling the CPU for now and these are the parts I've considered getting.

This 5.25" Res
    Chilled PC - Watercooling made easy, Over 400 products in stock

This CPU Block

This 2x120 Rad
    Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

I think the XSPC black res would look cool under my dvd drive on my soon to be Antec 1200.

Tygon 1/2" tubing, I don't really know how long to get it.

2L of Feser Acid Green Coolant (2L too much? Res + 2x120 Rad)

I'm just undecided on the pump. I was thinking of getting a Laing DDC with an XSPC plexi top resevoir but for that price I can just buy a Laing D5 and save some money.

Which would you guys advise?

As for barbs I'm getting Danger Den 1/2" Fat Boy ones but I heard that their O-Rings squash out if you over tighten them. Does it really matter what brand of 1/2" barbs I get or does it affect performance?

CPU's a Q6600 so I'm guessing if I use a low pump it won't cool it well. But if I'm wrong correct me

Would I need a shroud or is it not needed. I was thinking of getting a 120 size rad for putting on the side panel of the case. Looky

Or would it be better to get a 2x120 size rad and place it on the back here

Cheers for any help on this.
    Last edited by moogle; 19-05-2008 at 05:24 PM.

its all clear now
    Thanks
    • No.72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • commando
      • CPU:
      • e6300 3.50ghz artic 7
      • Memory:
      • 4gb corsair red tracers
      • Storage:
      • 320gb RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4870XT
      • PSU:
      • 620 watt corsair
      • Case:
      • coolmaster 831 SE orange
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407WFP AO4
      • Internet:
      • 10 meg virgin

Re: Watercooling Advice

From watercooled pcs admin....
    'Laing DDC ultra with xspc top 18 watt
    XSPC edge CPU block or EK supreme
    RS 240 rad cooling cpu + chipset only Thermochill are the best available but at 2x the price they are expensive.
    Dual bay res ball front
    primochill tube or xspc High flex
    feser coolant '

I'm doing the same as you just cooling the cpu for now, it comes out at about £165. Also you might want to look at the D-tech fusion v2, its the best cpu block.

3. Received thanks from:

moogle (19-05-2008)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

My advise: Leave the reservoir and get a T-piece instead.

The problem with reservoirs is that they are EXTREMELY difficult to fully fill. I've persevered with mine for a while but its driving my nuts. You can never get all the air out of the system with any of the reservoir designs I have seen so far.

Air in system = annoying noise.

With UV reactive fluid and UV lights, a reservoir looks really really nice but you need to weigh the pros and cons up.

Have you spoken to Marci at Over-Clock UK He is a very friendly and helpful guy who will talk to you about the best in WC kit, he does some very technical equipment testing as well if you check his site out. Might be worth talking to him before deciding.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

5. Received thanks from:

moogle (19-05-2008)

Honored
    Thanks
    • ackrite26's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5E-VM HDMi G35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo E6550 w/ Zalman CNPS8700NT
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 PC5300 w/ Enzotech Pure Copper Heatspreaders
      • Storage:
      • 1* 36Gb WD raptor/1* 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint HD501LJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD 4850 512mb
      • PSU:
      • 425W Enermax MOD82+
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SGO2W
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" Flatron
      • Internet:
      • Cable - 4Gb

head over here WaterCooling Uk :: Index page and they will help you out.

However I would propose this set-up.

Laing DDC Pro/Swiftech MCP300 (more than enough for a CPU loop even if you add more blocks)
    D-Tek V2 CPU Block (betters the XSPC edge)
    240 RAD (new feser RADS coming out may beat thermochill and have 'normal' fan spacing and g1/4" threads)
    Any RES (bay reservoirs are fine, ive never had probs with air - just circulate it out) I like these bay reservoirs but are slightly more expensive - Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK
    Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK
    Uni Rig:
    Intel Core2Duo E6550 w/Zalman CNPS8700NT | Asus P5E-VM HDMi G35 | 4x1GB Cruicial BallistiX PC2 5300 w/ Enzotech DDR-C1 | Sapphire HD 4850 512Mb | 36GB WD Raptor OS | 320GB WD WD3200AAKS | X-Fi Elite Pro | Silverstone SUGO SG02 | Enermax MODU82+ 425w | XP Pro

Home Rig:
    **Under Construction** | 160GB Seagate Barracuda | Coolermaster Wave Master [Modified] | Coolermaster Real Power Pro 450w | XP Pro

7. Received thanks from:

moogle (19-05-2008)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    My advise: Leave the reservoir and get a T-piece instead.

The problem with reservoirs is that they are EXTREMELY difficult to fully fill. I've persevered with mine for a while but its driving my nuts. You can never get all the air out of the system with any of the reservoir designs I have seen so far.

Air in system = annoying noise.

With UV reactive fluid and UV lights, a reservoir looks really really nice but you need to weigh the pros and cons up.

Have you spoken to Marci at Over-Clock UK He is a very friendly and helpful guy who will talk to you about the best in WC kit, he does some very technical equipment testing as well if you check his site out. Might be worth talking to him before deciding.

Have you used the XSPC reservoirs? They feature 2 or 3 baffles inside which actually bleed your system in about 5 minutes. They really are great.

To the OP - Have you thought about the swiftech radbox? these can attach any size radiator to a 120mm fan hole. I would advise at least 240 rad - you'll only end up replacing a 120mm rad in the end.
    If you need any advice - you can contact me through the shop (chilledpc)

9. Received thanks from:

moogle (19-05-2008)

Thanks
    • Main's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock 939 Dual sata-2
      • CPU:
      • A64 X2 4200 @ 2.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2Gb Corsair XMS DDR400 2-3-3-6
      • Storage:
      • Various discs all over the place
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoHE 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec P160
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 RC
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241W
      • Internet:
      • BT "up to 8mbit" @ ~7mbit

Not entirely sure about the choice of a bay reservoir...how you are you going to get to the fill port once it's in the case?

By my estimate that loop will have a volume of around 1.5L +-200ml, so you should be fine with 2L of coolant, although it's usually a good idea to have more handy, so maybe consider getting 3L.

In regards to the pump, if you get a Laing D5 Vario you'll have the most powerful pump on the market, which will be handy if you want the option of upgrading later whilst maintaining performance. You'll also have the option to run it at slower speeds to reduce noise without necessarily impacting performance. I can't say for sure you'd see much difference in practice between the DDC and the D5 though since there's little flow rate vs performance data out there.

Different brand barbs shouldn't have different performance if they have the same internal diameter, no. Pressure losses due to straight barbs are generally minimal anyway.

Can't say if you'd get any benefit from using a radiator shroud, generally they aren't used because (I would assume) they're quite big - the Thermochill ones look like they double the depth of the radiators. A radiator on a side panel?.. That would be a royal pain in the rear to plumb in....

Hope some of this helps

11. Received thanks from:

moogle (19-05-2008)

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Main View Post
    Not entirely sure about the choice of a bay reservoir...how you are you going to get to the fill port once it's in the case?

In regards to the pump, if you get a Laing D5 Vario you'll have the most powerful pump on the market, which will be handy if you want the option of upgrading later whilst maintaining performance. You'll also have the option to run it at slower speeds to reduce noise without necessarily impacting performance. I can't say for sure you'd see much difference in practice between the DDC and the D5 though since there's little flow rate vs performance data out there.

Different brand barbs shouldn't have different performance if they have the same internal diameter, no. Pressure losses due to straight barbs are generally minimal anyway.

Can't say if you'd get any benefit from using a radiator shroud, generally they aren't used because (I would assume) they're quite big - the Thermochill ones look like they double the depth of the radiators. A radiator on a side panel?.. That would be a royal pain in the rear to plumb in....

Hope some of this helps
    Well the fill port is near the rear side of the reservoir, I had in mind of removing the CD drive and with the spare tubing I have left over, slip it in there and fill it through that tube. If I get the XSPC DDC top Res I can fill it from there.

I was thinking of whether to get the Vario or a DDC, a Vario for CPU cooling would be overkill wouldn't it? I would probably hand over the DDC to another system in the house if I did make the switch though. On the Antec 1200 the water cooling holes are at the bottom and usually they are near the top so the rad can hang off the back but I won't be able to do that with this case. I was thinking of just using the shroud to keep it mounted.

Thanks for that advice, I guess no rad on the side panel then, I hadn't realized that yet

Quote Originally Posted by welshtom View Post
    Have you used the XSPC reservoirs? They feature 2 or 3 baffles inside which actually bleed your system in about 5 minutes. They really are great.

To the OP - Have you thought about the swiftech radbox? these can attach any size radiator to a 120mm fan hole. I would advise at least 240 rad - you'll only end up replacing a 120mm rad in the end.
    If you need any advice - you can contact me through the shop (chilledpc)
    Yep I seen the swiftech radbox, but I was looking for one thats 2x120 size. Can the Swiftech Radbox hold a 2x size rad? (2x120)

I was thinking of getting a T-Line but I was thinking if theres more coolant in the system doesn't that mean it takes longer for it to heat up by 1C?

Thanks for the help guys, ackrite and shaithis I'm reading up on those links. Cheers.

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Moogle, what are you using the reservoir for? If you end up getting the DDC Ultra (very good pump that's more than enough for single block loops) the XSPC reservoir and top are excellent and will bleed the system very well. If it fits in your system the top fill port will be easily accessible too. If you just want the bay reservoir for bling then that's another story .

As someone else said the D-Tek Fusion V2 is the best CPU block at the moment but good luck getting one! Last time I checked ChilledPC welshtom didn't have any ETA on more stock.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbait View Post
    Moogle, what are you using the reservoir for? If you end up getting the DDC Ultra (very good pump that's more than enough for single block loops) the XSPC reservoir and top are excellent and will bleed the system very well. If it fits in your system the top fill port will be easily accessible too. If you just want the bay reservoir for bling then that's another story .

As someone else said the D-Tek Fusion V2 is the best CPU block at the moment but good luck getting one! Last time I checked ChilledPC welshtom didn't have any ETA on more stock.

I want the top bay for a bit of bling but also I'm keeping it in basket as I'll be adding more components to the loop over the year.I can't decide between Laing D5 Vario or Laing DDC with the Plexi Top Resevoir. The DDC costs more but pushes less per hour. Plus the Antec 1200 isn't exactly wide so I'm still choosing and switching parts.

Like you said the Fuzion is out of stock everywhere. I wanted the XSPC Edge because it's a clear block so you can see the liquid inside. I know it's silly. But I really would prefer that. Also the fuzion is a bit more restrictive than the xspc edge, would the ddc be able to cope with it? The only other acrylic block is the ek supreme one. Which ones the best I have no idea.

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    Like you said the Fuzion is out of stock everywhere. I wanted the XSPC Edge because it's a clear block so you can see the liquid inside. I know it's silly. But I really would prefer that. Also the fuzion is a bit more restrictive than the xspc edge, would the ddc be able to cope with it? The only other acrylic block is the ek supreme one. Which ones the best I have no idea.
    I understand the preference for a clear top, that's a must for me as well which is why I never moved to the Fuzion. I like to see my fluid flowing! Well, you can't really but still like to see it .

The DDC Ultra does quite well with restrictive blocks. I use the Cuplex Di which is very restrictive and it runs fine. Martin's Liquid Lab tested the Cuplex on par or pretty close to the Fuzion V1. I think it's a good looking top but your tastes might be different.

My loop is even more restrictive since I've added unnecessary bling in the the form of an inline temperature sensor and flow rate meter. However, the flow is still high enough to cause turbulence if the wrong top is used (covered in other posts). If it fits, get the D5. I only use 10mm tubing so getting fittings for the D5 was too much hassle for a lazy slob like me.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbait View Post
    I understand the preference for a clear top, that's a must for me as well which is why I never moved to the Fuzion. I like to see my fluid flowing! Well, you can't really but still like to see it .

The DDC Ultra does quite well with restrictive blocks. I use the Cuplex Di which is very restrictive and it runs fine. Martin's Liquid Lab tested the Cuplex on par or pretty close to the Fuzion V1. I think it's a good looking top but your tastes might be different.

My loop is even more restrictive since I've added unnecessary bling in the the form of an inline temperature sensor and flow rate meter. However, the flow is still high enough to cause turbulence if the wrong top is used (covered in other posts). If it fits, get the D5. I only use 10mm tubing so getting fittings for the D5 was too much hassle for a lazy slob like me.
    Yea I'd just like to see it there
    It'd help though if the pump stopped and I'd see the water start boiling

The D5 would fit, it's just I'm still stuck on choosing. I'm glad that most of the parts I chose or thought of choosing were recommended. Just got to wait for the case to arrive now...

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Stuck between this
    and this

The one from Scan has more depth (surface area) and has more specifications on. Which one is better the one from scan or the XSPC RS240.

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

i'd go with the scan one personally, mainly because i trust alphacool more than other companys (no idea why :S)

but when i was looking into watercooling i was looking at an alphcool radiator becuase it had really good reviews over on bit-tech (/hides from bannage ) but in the end i couldn't justify what would probably be a 3-9c temps lowering for £200+ even if it is silent... so i opted for a TRUE and 2 fans in push pull alignment (although they havnt turned up yet so i can't really comment on whether that was actually a better choice or not)
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

NOT Banned
    Thanks

good good thats made me happy with my choice
    I know the RS240 has the least pressure drop which is great, I hope the Alphacool isn't too restrictive but it's good to have second opinions. I've cut mine to £190 right now, yea it's alot but I'm giving my TRU120 to my Dad. I'm planning to keep this PC for a while now and I want it to be wicked

Rant:
    My CPU IHS is curved I'm assuming. I don't wanna lap it because then I'll void my warranty.. Annoying at how Intel make a great chip but fail at the last mile when making the IHS, wish they'd lap it as smooth as Zalman blocks, I know there must be a id and info on the chip but what I'm thinking is why can't they etch it on the pcb of the cpu like underneath, I mean they can make transistors so small why can't that be done so we can lap our cpu without voiding the warranty. arghh..

Thanks
    • Colossous's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Ud4 Z68
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 2x4gb Corsair Vengence Black 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 90gb sata3 ssd + Western Dig black sata 3 1tb Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Soc Gtx570
      • PSU:
      • Nzxt Hale 850 watt
      • Case:
      • Custom Lian Li V1000
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27"

The Xspc Rads have started to get a good rep, here's one review - theres more if you google - (the new Xspc Cpu block is getting good reviews also) -
    XtremeComputing - #1 For Hardware News And Reviews
    I've bought lots of stuff from Tom at Chilled Pc and have to say great customer support and advice too.
    My own experience of bayres 5.25" reservoirs is they are really easy to set up and good for bleeding air but for me make a little too much noise in use.
    Hark the children of the Resolution !!

http://trust.hexus.net/user_profile.php?user=7798

21. Received thanks from:

moogle (21-05-2008)

Thanks
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Cooler
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5GHz, Cooling D-Tek Fuzion V2
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Flex DDR2 PC2-9200 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512MB, Cooling Swiftech MCW60
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tremjin TJ06 - Modded for Water Cooling Goodness
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Widescreen Cibox C2201 (with DVI input)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

Just in case you haven't come across it yet you may want to have a gander at this site,

Martin's Liquid Lab

Good testing methodology for pressure drop and lately thermal performance of CPU blocks.

The flow rate estimator is useful as well, definitely worth a fiddle if your are serious about water cooling will show you (in relation to pumps) that it is the curve that is important not the max pressure head/max flow rate figures.

If you go for the DDC pump then the XSPC top is the best on the market (well just behind the XSPC res top which you don't need if you are getting a bay res).

Personally I would be buying the following kit,

Laing DDC 3.2
    XSPC DDC top (or res top)
    XSPC Edge or D-tek Fuzion v2
    Rad of your choice Thermochill PA120.2 if your feeling flush
    1/2" barbs
    7/16" tubing (easier routing and a better seal on the barbs)
    Last edited by Webby; 21-05-2008 at 05:12 PM.

23. Received thanks from:

moogle (21-05-2008)

Thread Information