Thread: Combined HTPC/CCTV recorder

Registered+
    Thanks

Combined HTPC/CCTV recorder

HI
    Under my new HDTV I have a lot of boxes which I would like to combine into less.

Thinking at the moment is an attractive HTPC to replace the DVD player/Ampifier and CCTV recorder.
    It will need to be play blu ray discs and at the same time record from upto 4 CCTV cameras (low height capture card reqd).
    It will require an HDMI output for my HDTV and a standard VGA for the CCTV monitor.
    As its on 24hr low energy consumption would help.

Problems to solve.
    1. How powerfull dows it need to be to simultanious CCTV video capture and play Blu ray.
    2. Can I drive the CCTV monitor off the MB integral graphics and my HDTV off a sepaerate card or do I need two cards.
    3. Selction of MB, CPU and Video.
    4. Smalled practical quiet case selection

Anyone have any thoughts or experience.
    Thanks in advance

Kev

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Re: Combined HTPC/CCTV recorder

Quote Originally Posted by Superkev6969 View Post
    HI
    Under my new HDTV I have a lot of boxes which I would like to combine into less.

Thinking at the moment is an attractive HTPC to replace the DVD player/Ampifier and CCTV recorder.
    It will need to be play blu ray discs and at the same time record from upto 4 CCTV cameras (low height capture card reqd).
    It will require an HDMI output for my HDTV and a standard VGA for the CCTV monitor.

Problems to solve.
    1. How powerfull dows it need to be to simultanious CCTV video capture and play Blu ray.
    2. Can I drive the CCTV monitor off the MB integral graphics and my HDTV off a sepaerate card or do I need two cards.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience.
    Thanks in advance

Kev
    Having played with a CCTV DVR today, the thought occurs that it would be hard to combine those two pieces of equipment without building your own. Even then you're better off building two seperate machines into the same box, or modding a blu-ray player into a DVR.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

lost
    Thanks
    • llololloy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • gigabyte p67a-ud4
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500s
      • Memory:
      • 8gb ddr3
      • Storage:
      • 60gb ssd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • r9 280x
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • w10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" + 2 * 23" 1080p
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200meg

Re: Combined HTPC/CCTV recorder

HI
    Kev
    You won't be able to replace the amp really, unless you can feed a direct line / digital lead into your speaker package.
    Do you need it to be low profile? I have an antec fusion black, takes full height cards and is about as big as an old dvd player. It's actually exactly te same height as my amp so it looks ok for me.
    Problems to solve.
    Kev
    1. If the blu playback gets off loaded onto a gpu then you don't need a monster macine, depends on how much cpu time te cctv takes.
    2.You could do that with ati chipset mobo and ati chipset card (don't know about nvidia), but you could also just use each of the outputs on the graphics card.
    3.Others here should give better advice on mobo/cpu, but in my media pc I use an abit lg-95 with e2140 with ati hd2400 for graphics. Does me well but you could probably get a better mobo, faster cpu and the newer hd3xxx cards for the same money now.
    4.My antec fusion is damn near silent (the fans on my telly are much louder),

Hope to have helped.
    MediaPC - ASRock H61M-DGS - 8gb ddr3 - i3 2120 - R9 270 - antec fusion black - lg ggc-h20l - windows 10 - denon avr-1911 - JVC 58" 1080p RPTV
    Server - MSI Z77A-G45 - 16gb ddr3 - i7 2600k - 4u Rack mountable - sas 1068e + expander - 3ware 9650se - 16 * 2tb + 2 * 3tb - TBS 6984, 6284 & 6920 - 2 * astrometa dvb-c - windows 7 pro
    My PC - See my system on left

hexus.trust

Thread Information