View Poll Results: WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING NEEDS TO LAST ME A YEAR FOR GAMES ETC ETC

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 PRO

0 0%
  • SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600XT

7 63.64%
  • SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800SE

3 27.27%
  • I HAVE LEFT A LINK TO ANOTHER

1 9.09%

Thread: Please Help Me Choose A Gfx Card For My Shuttle

Thanks

Please Help Me Choose A Gfx Card For My Shuttle

HI ALL

right after weeks of bending my mind and going through the do i or dont i stage i have eventually come to the conclusion on getting the shutttle i have decide on this so far.

sn45g
    barton 2500xp pro
    512 meg twinmos ram
    80 gig seagate barracuda hard drive
    liteon combo cdrw/dvd
    creative silve itrigue speakers

but i am stuck on a damn gfx card

Being new to the shuttle scene i dont know what size is good heat issues

i dont play loads of games but do play them so need a card that is going to be ok for at least a year or so which plays all the latest but not always on everything high

i have seen the following what do you think

need replies for speed .will it fit /heat issues/POWER ISSUES and finally how good is the card

thanks you guys so far have been great in helping me out here

card 1=Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI & Half Life 2 Bundle - Retail (GX-040-SP) (THIS IS FROM OVER CLOCKERS)

CARD 2 = http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=56695 (9800SE FROM EBUYER)

CARD3 http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=56698 (9600PRO)

CHEERS or if you have your own veiws on a card not mentioned please leave details

P.S ONLY HAVE AROUND 135 POUNDS FOR A GFX CARD
    Last edited by bigjonnyauk; 15-02-2004 at 06:30 PM. Reason: ADDED PRICE I CAN AFFORD

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjonnyauk
    HI ALL

right after weeks of bending my mind and going through the do i or dont i stage i have eventually come to the conclusion on getting the shutttle i have decide on this so far.

sn45g
    barton 2500xp pro
    512 meg twinmos ram
    80 gig seagate barracuda hard drive
    liteon combo cdrw/dvd
    creative silve itrigue speakers

but i am stuck on a damn gfx card

Being new to the shuttle scene i dont know what size is good heat issues

i dont play loads of games but do play them so need a card that is going to be ok for at least a year or so which plays all the latest but not always on everything high

i have seen the following what do you think

need replies for speed .will it fit /heat issues/POWER ISSUES and finally how good is the card

thanks you guys so far have been great in helping me out here

card 1=Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI & Half Life 2 Bundle - Retail (GX-040-SP) (THIS IS FROM OVER CLOCKERS)

CARD 2 = http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=56695 (9800SE FROM EBUYER)

CARD3 http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=56698 (9600PRO)

CHEERS or if you have your own veiws on a card not mentioned please leave details

P.S ONLY HAVE AROUND 135 POUNDS FOR A GFX CARD

save another £30 and go all the way with this ,there are no known issues that i know of.

wol
    Thanks
    Cant get that link to work!

Wol

Thanks
    it would be great if those that vote could leave a reason for there decision to help me ie,compatibility,power,quiet fan passive cooled ability ANYTHING LOL CHEERS

Thanks
    I was in a similar situation when setting up my new system. Practically the same spec really. In the end I decided to get the 9600XT. No point thinking about the 9600 Pro because the 9600XT is new and better and there's no real price difference really. I eventually decided to go for the 9600XT over the 9800SE basically because of the fact that its a newer, better version of the ATI chipset and so I thought it might run a little cooler in my shuttle.

I looked at this which I found to be very helpfull and maybe it'll help you too.

Thanks
    evil thats great thanks is your system a shuttle how does the fit on one of these go and also have you had any power issues

Thanks
    I have:

Shuttle SN45G
    AMD XP3000+ (400MHz)
    Kingston 1GB (400MHz)
    Seagate 120GB
    Sony DVD/CD-RW Combo
    (+ an optional SB Audigy 2 ZS)

Runs like a dream. Fits perfect, no power issues or anything, also very quiet. The only issue I have is that the Seagate makes slightly louder beepy kind of noises than the Western Digital that I used to have.

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    sorry bout the dead link

anyway it pointed you to komplett.co.uk where u can now purchase a saphire radeon 9800pro for £135 (9600xt,s etc dont even come close to the performance of this card which can be clocked to 9800xt speeds rite outa the box) you know it makes sence.

ude be crazy to knock it back.

Thanks
    and that fits in your shuttle no probs the micovwar

Thanks
    Go to DABS & put in Quicklinx 2S00t5

FX5900, most probablly flashable to 5950U, and if your unlucky they still clock well. Good thing is the FX5900 is a single bay card so it'll be fine in your shuttle.

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks

I went for 9600XT

Like you I don't play that many games - but I do play them. I went for an ASUS 9600XT for the simple reason you can control the fan speed via their smart doctor software. What this means is that while browsing the web, doing email, office, photo editing, etc it sits there nice and quiet (silent in fact), then when I want to play a game, up ramps the fan. Performance has been fine for games tried so far. You also get video capture (no TV tuner) if that is of interest. If you are interested in doing so you can also overclock the XT version of the 9600 considerably.

I have a SN85G4. I was recommended away from the 9800XT because of heat and extra power required. I want a quiet PC 95% of the time ;-)

I think it would be possible to go for a passively cooled card if you were willing to cut some more ventilation in the case - but that may increase the sound escaping from the ICE fan?

How important is noise to you?

w33d smoka
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjonnyauk
    and that fits in your shuttle no probs the micovwar
    yeh jonnyauk,any radeon card will fit in any shuttle with an agp slot the 9800,s are no different,however the nvidea fx range is questionable becouse of there abnormally huge pcb and cooler setup (fx5200-5600 should be fine) cant guarantee that anything higher wil go tho,ude have to ask round the forums to see if any of the guys have any of the highend fx range in a shuttle.

but i can assure u ule get a 9800pro in there without issue and tbh if it was me ide skip the idea of an nvidea card in ure shuttle becouse in all fairness ure not gonna get any bang for ure buck with the fx cards (dont get me wrong nvidea are good and have some gr8 cards but there much bigger than the radeon 9800pro cards,and quite highly priced) compared to a powerhorse like a 9800pro which is capable of 9800xt speeds costing £135.

good luck whichever route u take.
    Last edited by micovwar; 16-02-2004 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Homer
    I looked at this which I found to be very helpfull and maybe it'll help you too.

excellent link
    Shuttle SB61G2 Anniversary Ed
    P4 2.6GHz
    2x256MB OCZ 3200 DDR
    TYAN Tachyon Radeon 9600 Pro
    60GB Seagate 'cuda IV 7200
    10GB IBM 5400
    other boring peripherals

Thanks
    yeah i think i will go the radeon way as the card i have in my tower will not fit in a shuttle as it is a beast its the leadtek winfast fx 5900 with the 2 huge siler fans on it all encased so i am used to this kind of power

i think the choice has been narrowed down to the 9800pro from komplett or the 9600xt from aria but funds could play a big part in my decision

i can afford to hold on 3 to 4 weeks which i hear there will be a price reduction in gfx cards so hopefully will be able to pick up the 9800 a bit cheaper

Thread Information