• Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64bit Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Neovo LCD + 32" HDTV
      • Internet:
      • 24Mb Virgin Broadband

Here's my build (£1001) - Comments

Hi Guys,

Before I start, I'd like to thank everyone for their help getting me off the ground with this, especially TAKTAK and Adam from Scan.

I've priced up a system at £1001, Any comments please, I'm up for constructive critisism

Hard drive was cheap, couldnt stretch to a decent one but that'll do for now as I've had a few maxtors before and never had a fail.
    Motherboard and PSU were investments for future.
    Both Monitor and GPU support HDCP
    Will overclock upto or around 3.2gig

If you have any essential changes to suggest that either A) Improve Performance without increasing price or B) Lower price with no loss of performance I would be massivley grateful.

Thanks

Re: Here's my build (£1001) - Comments

There are cheaper motherboards out there especially fi you don't want to use/need onboard raid.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=827895 for an example.

Also, drop the sound card for now. Most motherboards now have onboard 5.1/7.1 sound which will suffice until the funds are there for a dedicated hi-def () sound experience.

No need for Artic Silver or the aftermarket cooler. Keep things stock for now to save a few pennies (or overclock just slightly )

Perhaps buy a HD4850 instead of the 4870 and upgrade at a much later date. I believe these can be had around the £120-125 mark.

Hopefully that'll drop you to around the £900 area.

Thanks
    • staffsMike's system
      • Motherboard:
      • evga 680i
      • CPU:
      • e6600
      • Memory:
      • geil ultra pc6400
      • Storage:
      • WD 320gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • ocz gameXstream 700w
      • Case:
      • akasa eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • dell 2007wfp and Lg L194WT
      • Internet:
      • pipex homecall

I wouldn't go as far as getting a motherboard as cheap as sleepyhead's suggestion but I would buy an Abit IP-35 PRO instead. It's one of the most highly rated P35 boards, if not the most highly rated. It's also a few quid cheaper than that, and no motherboard bought now is an investment in the future really, the socket will be dead by next year.

I wouldn't bother with that RAM, you could get standard heatspreader XSM2 with 4-4-4-12 latencies (not that it makes a real difference) for a similar price. The one's you picked are very tall and may interfeer with certain coolers (although they do work with the xigmatec on the Abit Ip-35..)

If you can find any extra £10 for the case, the Antec 300 is around £35 and will provide far better cooling than anything else in that price range.

You could also get the 520W version of that PSU as neither graphics card will even begin to push it. Power consumption in general is not increasing anymore, manafacturers are trying to go green as it were and making less power hungry components and more efficent power supplies.
    Last edited by staffsMike; 10-07-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks

As i explained in yours scan "Begging for discount" thread, swap the Zen for a Coolermaster R330 Elite (about £25), ive had both, originally the zen, and got the CM about 3 weeks ago, and its been brilliant. Dont get me wrong the Zen is nice, but the CM is incredible for a budget case.

Thanks
    • NovaSphere's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x2Gb PC2-6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital 640Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus ENGTX260 896Mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec Three Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2043BW

For a motherboard you could go for either this one (seems to be out of stock now) Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=839037

or this one, which is in stock; Asus P5Q Pro
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=818514

Both are below the one you picked, I don't know which of the 2 is 'better' though...

Do also remember, your getting a 32-bit OS, meaning you won't be able to use that 4 GB of RAM, it will only see about 3 GB.
    If I were you, I would get this instead; http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=402849
    It's only 2 GB, but it will do the job as far as I know, it is though, of better latency, hence it's 4-4-4-12

The rest seems to be fine

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

as it has eben mentioned, you should get a 64bit OS to allow you to use the full amount of RAM, 32 bit is limited to 4GB of RAM throughout the whole system (this includes GFX memory) so in your case you would have ~3.5GB system memory and 512MB GFX memory. whereas a 64bit OS allows the system to use up to (IIRC) 16TB of RAM, giving you full capabilities of your system.

i remember seeing a post a while ago that said something like:

For a p35/p45 then you can't beat Abit, and ASUS are atrocious, but for X38/X48 it is the other way around
    i'm not sure if this still stands firm, but, personally i would go with the one staffsMike pointed out.

as others have also said, you may want to look at a case with better cooling (such as the allready suggested, antec 300)

also as allready said (again ) the DHX RAM can cause problems... as it can get in the way of future upgrades such as HSF's

you could save some money by not getting the Blu-ray drive right now, and purchasing it later down the line... (unless of course, it is something that you need straight away)

same things about the sound card, you might aswell use onboard audio for a while to save a bit of cash

and you may want to look at a different GFX card option to save a little bit of money, something like the HD4850
    Last edited by TAKTAK; 10-07-2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: i used the wrong numerical amount
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks

Hehe...yeah sorry about my initial motherboard choice. I just picked a cheap Abit P35 board to show how much of a price difference there can be between all the models and if you use SCAN's compare function, there is little between the OPs original selection and the cheap version I plucked out.

I, personally, like the look of the DHX ram

Thanks
    • douglasb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium/wifi-ap
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 500GB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD6870
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair HX series
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master CM 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium (64bit)

creative sound cards dont go well with vista, iv heard the asus ones are meant to be pretty good though

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    i remember seeing a post a while ago that said something like:
    For a p35/p45 then you can't beat Abit, and ASUS are atrocious, but for X38/X48 it is the other way around
    i'm not sure if this still stands firm, but, personally i would go with the one staffsMike pointed out.
    Custom PC have ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP listed in their Elite Products list. Just to quote them:
    While there are much cheaper P35 motherboards on the market, none offers the same level of features or overclockability as the P5K Premium WiFi-AP. As such, it would be our first choice when buying a new motherboard.
    That review's several months old now so I'm sure there must be something better out there by now. I guess I better start researching this stuff before my next upgrade!

Uber Pantsless
    Thanks
    • richieuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad (2.4Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 640GB Western Digital Sata2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 Dual Slot Cooler
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64bit Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Neovo LCD + 32" HDTV
      • Internet:
      • 24Mb Virgin Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
    There are cheaper motherboards out there especially fi you don't want to use/need onboard raid.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=827895 for an example.
    Indeed, but that wouldn't be able to be handle Crossfire 4870s, The Mars was reccommended for its overclocking abilities over the ip35 and crossfire.

Also, drop the sound card for now. Most motherboards now have onboard 5.1/7.1 sound which will suffice until the funds are there for a dedicated hi-def () sound experience.
    Done I've heard alot about creative and vista and can live without my Midi Keybaord hooked up to a low latency soundcard for now, easiest re-upgrade for now

No need for Artic Silver or the aftermarket cooler. Keep things stock for nowe to save a few pennies (or overclock just slightly )
    I'll be overclocking to run 3D-Studio max at its best so a near 20% increase in speeds is worth £25 imo, so I'll be keeping these

Perhaps buy a HD4850 instead of the 4870 and upgrade at a much later date. I believe these can be had around the £120-125 mark.
    Top totty my friend, I was under the impresion that 4850's were not HDCP compatible, just looked again, BISH BASH BOSH! REAL GOOD NOSH! I'm in HD street

Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    You could also get the 520W version of that PSU as neither graphics card will even begin to push it. Power consumption in general is not increasing anymore, manafacturers are trying to go green as it were and making less power hungry components and more efficent power supplies.
    Could a 520W handle an overclocked processor and Crossfire cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Wills View Post
    Swap the Zen for a Coolermaster R330 Elite (about £25), ive had both, originally the zen, and got the CM about 3 weeks ago, and its been brilliant.
    Cheers for the reccommendation Will most likely take you up on this

Quote Originally Posted by NovaSphere View Post
    For a motherboard you could go for ... the Asus P5Q Pro
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=818514
    Again, this looks great Nova, very appreciated, would do the jobby nicely, will check reviews for overclock later but it looks about right

Quote Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
    creative sound cards dont go well with vista, iv heard the asus ones are meant to be pretty good though
    Cheers, I will keep this in mind in the future, Soundcard is GONE! /kick Soundcard

Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    as it has eben mentioned, you should get a 64bit OS to allow you to use the full amount of RAM, 32 bit is limited to 4GB of RAM throughout the whole system (this includes GFX memory) so in your case you would have ~3.5GB system memory and 512MB GFX memory. whereas a 64bit OS allows the system to use up to (IIRC) 16TB of RAM, giving you full capabilities of your system.
    But the amount of support for 64bit really worries me... like REALLY, when its more widespread, can 32bit be upgraded to 64bit? And also will I be slowed down by the 512mb of RAM thats idle? If not, I only expected to get 3.5Gig of ram utilised anyway

Quote Originally Posted by staffsMike View Post
    I wouldn't bother with that RAM, you could get standard heatspreader XSM2 with 4-4-4-12 latencies (not that it makes a real difference) for a similar price. The one's you picked are very tall and may interfeer with certain coolers (although they do work with the xigmatec on the Abit Ip-35..)
    I just want something thats not gonna give me hell with overclocking, the heatsink I've chosen (as far as i'm aware) is OK with that Ram, I also only want to buy corsair RAM through reccomendation

Thanks for everyones help so far Keep it coming
    Last edited by richieuk; 11-07-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by richieuk View Post
    Indeed, but that wouldn't be able to be handle Crossfire 4870s, The Mars was reccommended for its overclocking abilities over the ip35 and crossfire.
    TBH matey, SLi'd graphics cards don't provide as much of a performance boost as alot of people think, and it often works out better to go for a single card solution (i.e. sell you current card, and upgrade to a better one)
    Could a 520W handle an overclocked processor and Crossfire cards?
    yep, it will easily, as mike says, most manufacturers are centering round "we wanna be green" so PSU requirements are staying fairly stable
    But the amount of support for 64bit really worries me... like REALLY, when its more widespread, can 32bit be upgraded to 64bit? And also will I be slowed down by the 512mb of RAM thats idle? If not, I only expected to get 3.5Gig of ram utilised anyway
    No, no,no,no,no, vista 64 bit doesn't have all of the driver inconsistencys any more, so unless your wanting to run lots of old hardware then that is the path to go down... 64bit is the direction everthing is going in (although do avoid XP64bit as it still is incompat with lots 'o stuff) but vista 64 is fine
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks
    • NightshadowUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87M GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790K [Macho Rev.B]
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M500 [240GB] & MX500 [1TB]
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • 620W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08B-E [AP181 & NF-S12B]
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home [64bit]
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mb

I second the recommendations to change the motherboard and RAM.

The IP35 Pro is a fantastic board, there's a load of positive reviews out there and if I could be bothered taking my side panel off / was willing to risk electrocution, I'd kiss it on it's pretty blue mouth. You could consider an X38 / X48 board but then they will be obsolete this time next year so I'd save the cash.

Memory wise, I'd be looking at:

- 4GB Corsair TwinX PC2-6400 5-5-5-18

You save a tenner and don't have those stupid high-risen heatsinks.

Thread Information