Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please advise - New rig £1k!!

Thanks

Re: Please advise - New rig £1k!!

Quote Originally Posted by NovaSphere View Post
    Small side question, would it matter if your getting 1 HD and create 2 partitions on it, one partition for the OS and other programs, the other for games/files etc.
    What that make a different or would it be the same as simply keeping it all on 1 main partition of the HD?
    There's a guy called Zak who thinks that when you partition a drive, the first partition takes up the outer edges of your drive, while subsequent partitions take up space closer and closer to the centre. This would have the implication that your very first partition would run much much faster than the average speed of your drive, since the data is stored on the outer edges; and subsequent partitions would run slower and slower until you reach your last partition which would run at a crawl since it is situated in the very centre.

He has posted up some Nero figures which seem to support his theory, although he isn't even sure himself if this is at all true. If it is true, then you should store your OS on a very small partition, and your games and applications on the next partition (as small as your games collection would allow). Then all of your other files should be stored on the rest of the drive in whatever way you like. Since the OS and your games/applications are stored on the outer edges of your drive, they should perform at blistering speeds at all times!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paulm@scan View Post
    Nice system I would go for the Abit Ip35Pro XE and maybe a better cooler than the Arctic Cooler something like the Zalman.

If you wish to order all the parts from Scan I am sure I can look after your needs and ensure you have a good service with Scan.
    I guess the key questions to scan are, can you price match? do you offer refund on delivery when returning faulty hardware? And also, how long does an RMA take? Overclockers really annoyed me with their 6 week turnaround time on a motherboard and PSU. That is a ridiculous period of time when considering the depreciation in value of computer hardware.

dbh
    Thanks
    • dbh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Core Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) PC-6400 DDR2-800 G.Skill 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 640GB Western Digital WD6400AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB Sapphire HD4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • Panasonic Viera TX37LZD800 1080p LCD TV + Sony 19" SDM-X93

I can vouch that Scan's RMA service is excellent. I recently returned a duff western digital hdd to them they collected it from me, tested it and I got my replacement all in 7 days. I didn't pay anything to return the item as they collected it from me so kudos to them.

Thanks

SCANs RMA service seems to get there in the end but its not what I'd call efficient.

Still it's all free including postage so it's just a matter of time before you get your working goods back.

Thanks

The RMA service as mentioned is on average 3 - 5 working days we have a very high turnaround and can be called an efficient. Every company has problems and can not run 100% but we try to get as near as.

Quote Originally Posted by FifthFreedom View Post
    SCANs RMA service seems to get there in the end but its not what I'd call efficient.

Still it's all free including postage so it's just a matter of time before you get your working goods back.

Quote Originally Posted by FifthFreedom View Post
    To be honest, once they had realized that my Motherboard was actually faulty... (missed on the first RMA) SCAN were quite efficient.

I effectively received a refund for the original faulty board and chose a new one which was delivered next day free of charge.
    Stange FifthFreedom you seem to contradict yourself here...

Error exists between Keyboard & Chair replace User and press Any Key!

.... Where's the Any Key???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information