Thread: Does anyone know a reputable PC repair outfit in the North West? Preferably Chesterr

Thanks

Does anyone know a reputable PC repair outfit in the North West? Preferably Chesterr

I've basically fried my pc somehow and its totally dead, wont post or anything. link here http://forums.hexus.net/graphics-car...-problems.html

I've ordered a new mobo which should be with me tomorrow, I'm convinced it's gone.

The pc was built by Vadim but they have gone bust 2 days ago and they aren't responding to my emails/calls.

I basically need a decent pc fitter to take apart the pc from the old mobo and then put it back together on the new one.

It's not good because all my work stuff is on there so I need it doing asap and I don't really want to take pot luck with the yellow pages,

Anyone know anyone decent or who can help me out?

I live just past Chester so North Wales etc is good, I just need the pc working again, I can then install windows myself etc

Cheers

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Does anyone know a reputable PC repair outfit in the North West? Preferably Chest

It isn't difficult to do yourself. I guess that you know enough to have ordered a mobo that is compatable with your existing CPU and memory.

I do wonder (I haven't looked at the other thread yet) if the PSU was to blame? Some system builders skimp on the PSU to keep costs down.

OK - just looked at the other thread.

It may be that overclocking has caused the problems - to get memory to perform out of spec, it is often necessary to raise the voltage - which increases heat generation. Whether the overclocking has damaged other components is hard to say at a distance. The fact that the system won't post does imply that the CPU isn't working - but that could be caused by a number of things - including a defective PSU or a defective mobo.

As I say, building a PC is not hard - and as someone said on the other thread, there is lots of help here if you need it.

It would help if you could psot some specs - old mobo, new mobo, CPU etc.

Given that you are both rebuilding a machine with possible faulty components, the build process would be a bit different, as you are using the embryonic computer to test the parts from the old one.

In outline...

I would start by dismantling the old one, then installing the CPU and one known good stick of RAM on the new mobo. Test to see if you get some form of booting and post bleeps. If you do, the processor is OK. Then I'd install the GPU and see if I could get it to boot to the setup screen. If it diid, I'd then install more RAM - and test again. Finally I'd put it back into the case, install a hard drive and see if it booted to the OS.
    Last edited by peterb; 08-07-2008 at 03:19 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Re: Does anyone know a reputable PC repair outfit in the North West? Preferably Chest

Um no I think I worked out what I did.

I was testing the Ram and then this morning I put a stick back in but I hadn't turned off the pc at the back or unplugged the cable, it was first thing in the morning and I just wasn't thinking, I was still asleep

So I'm guessing that's the problem and I have fried the mobo, I just hope everything else is ok.

I wasn't hard to order the mobo, I just looked at my old order and whilst I cant find the PK5 Deluxe model I just bought the next one below it, it should be an easy enough process to swap it around then I just have to pray nothing else has gone.

I really don't know enough to do this on my own, I could try if I did have some time but all my work is on there so I really need to try and fix it asap as I'm really up against it work wise.

Thanks

Well forget the above, it would appear to be saved crisis over, Peterb mate thanks for the help you gave me.

I do appreciate it

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Glad it is resolved! What was the problem - how did you fix it? (useful info for anyone following the thread)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • kmac's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 2 Samsung F3 500GB each
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD4770
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu 82+ 525W
      • Case:
      • Lain -Li PC-7FN Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Prof 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M

Also, if you bought your PC with a credit card and i is defective and the comany is bust you could claim your money back from the creit card company

Thanks
    • TheReaFireblade's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo T9300 @ 2.50GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Patriot Signature PC-5400 @ 667MHz
      • Storage:
      • 400GB (2x 200GB) in RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Dual 512MB Nvidia 8800GTX in SLi + PCI Ageia PhysX Card
      • PSU:
      • 230W
      • Case:
      • Dell INspiron XPS M1730 Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) + 24" FP241WZ
      • Internet:
      • (Up to) 24Mb ADSL (Be Unlimited)

Wink Re: Does anyone know a reputable PC repair outfit in the North West? Preferably Chest

For future reference Kinkladze... I can personally recommend Mark and the crew at 'Cestrian Computers' in Saltney (80 Boughton. 01244 313135)

Although I haven't had to use them (for repairs etc) for a few years now, I used them quite a few times when I bought my first PC, and didn't have a clue what to do when things went wrong with it!
    It's only a very small store, but they sell a range of components and peripherals, as well as offering a repair service.

They're a very knowledgeable and friendly bunch
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder

Thread Information