Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel warranties flimsier than the paper they are printed on!

Uber Pantsless
    Thanks
    • richieuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad (2.4Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 640GB Western Digital Sata2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4850 Dual Slot Cooler
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64bit Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Neovo LCD + 32" HDTV
      • Internet:
      • 24Mb Virgin Broadband

Intel warranties flimsier than the paper they are printed on!

I asked on this forum about a month ago if I could use a Xigmatek heat-sink on a Q6600 without voiding warranty, and I got a hopeful probably. Which would have been fine...

I also wondered if a mild overclock without adjusting voltages from stock would be ok, again, I got a possibly. I would have LOVED this.

Then, I covered my bases and checked with intel...

... I got this response...

Quote Originally Posted by Intel
    We do not recommend using third party cooling solutions nor third party thermal interface material since by doing so will void the warranty of the processor. I see that you are also looking for information on “overclocking”. Overclocking is neither recommended nor supported by Intel(R).
    Well, heres my response to intel...

Well, my middle fingernail is looking in your direction! I'm doing it anyway, and next time I see you advertise anything that supports overclocking I'm gonna petrol bomb your mothers!

Join me in my rage!!!! RAWRRRR!!!!
    Last edited by richieuk; 22-08-2008 at 11:33 PM.
    -- MY 2008 RIG --
    CASE: Antec 300/ MOBO: ASUS P5Q Pro/ CPU: Q6600/ RAM: Corsair 4GB XMS2/
    COOLING: Xigmatek Heatsink 120mm, 2x Xigmatek 120mm w/ Fan controller/
    GFX: Sapphire HD4850/ PSU: Corsair HX520/ HD: WD 640GB w/ VibeFixer
    DISPLAY1: 22" Neovo 3ms/ DISPLAY2: 32" HDTV/

-- MY 2011 RIG --
    CASE: BitFenix Survivor/ MOBO: ASUS P8Z68V Pro/ CPU: i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz/ RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengenge DDR3 1600MHz/
    COOLING: Antek Kuhler H20 with Push-Pull Fans EXPANSION: Black Magic Intensity HDMI 1080p Capture Card
    GFX: Sapphire HD6950 *unlocked to 6970*/ PSU: XFX 650w Modular/ HD: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 Sandforce SSD w/ 1TB Sata 3 Storage & 640GB Sata2 Backup
    DISPLAY1: 23" 3D 1080p 120Hz LG / DISPLAY2: 22" 1080p LG/

Check out my Youtube Page for Funny Video series I make (17,000 Subscribers)

Thanks
    • mediaboy's system
      • CPU:
      • Phenom x3 8500
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 1320GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD3650 512MB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Premium x32
      • Internet:
      • T-Mobile Mobile Broadband

Re: Intel warranties flimsier than the paper they are printed on!

AMD don't support non-stock cooling solutoins either... They do, however, cover it all on their Black Editions (I think) as they are meant to be OCed, and don't come with a cooler...

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

but it all can be avoided by not telling them that you have overclocked it....

overclocking voids the warranty because it can shorten the components lifespan...
    the processors are only sold to run @ the advertised speed.. nothing more... (obv, having a little more is what alot of people want) but proving that you've overclocked something is nigh on impossible aslong as you don't state that you have or send them the mobo aswell...

another interesting point is this:
    I see that you are also looking for information on “overclocking”.
    did you mention overclocking with them or have they been snooping into your web habbits?.....
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Uber Pantsless
    Thanks
    • richieuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 24Mb Virgin Broadband

I asked them if I could without voiding warranty, if so, to what limits. lol

Either way, i'll see how it goes when I get it. But man am I miffed...

At least corsair allow overclocking under 2.1 volts on thier ram...
    -- MY 2008 RIG --

-- MY 2011 RIG --
    CASE: BitFenix Survivor/ MOBO: ASUS P8Z68V Pro/ CPU: i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz/ RAM: Corsair 16GB Vengenge DDR3 1600MHz/
    COOLING: Antek Kuhler H20 with Push-Pull Fans EXPANSION: Black Magic Intensity HDMI 1080p Capture Card
    GFX: Sapphire HD6950 *unlocked to 6970*/ PSU: XFX 650w Modular/ HD: 60GB OCZ Agility 3 Sandforce SSD w/ 1TB Sata 3 Storage & 640GB Sata2 Backup

Thanks

Why the rage?

They're covering their own arses. What if you used a heatsink that wasn't suitable, and as such damaged the CPU (though in theory it should cut off before damage)?

Overclocking, again, what if you don't know what you're doing and pump too many volts through it in order to get a higher overclock because that's what you've seen others doing? If it fails, then why shouldn't be covered? You've messed up, so why should they lose out?

It's why the built-in overclocking functions that some AMD-based motherboards and ATI graphics cards (through the Catalyst Control Center) only allow for basic and safe automatic overclocks. The facility is there for you to overclock further, but it's clear you're doing so at your own risk.

Sorry, I'm struggling here... I just can't see the logic in complaining. The very worst thing about it that I can see is you claim you've seen some PR that's mentioned overclocking...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    ....... The very worst thing about it that I can see is you claim you've seen some PR that's mentioned overclocking...
    There was some recently.

If I remember correctly, Intel announced that they were going to unlock chips to make it easier for people to overclock ..... but they did effectively add "at your own risk" because they did point out it would not be covered by warranty. In effect, they acknowledge that a small but significant group of customers do this and are, apparently, stopping attempts to prevent it. But if you do it and it causes problems, they won't cover it. And realistically, of course, why should they?

Gav, you're spot on. Intel test various configurations and speeds. They can be held to account, legally, for claims they make. So they warrant their products ONLY to perform to rated specs, which are actually generally fairly well inside their tested performance. That way, they have a decent margin of error before chips fail to perform as claimed because if that happens they would be in breach of contract.

Accordingly, chips are only warranted if installed and used in accordance with Intel instructions. They won't warrant third-party coolers because they have no idea what people will use, which cooler, which TIM, whether it's properly applied, what fan will be used, etc.

Uber Pantsless
    Thanks
    • richieuk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 24Mb Virgin Broadband

I guess thats true, but you'd thing they'd offer a little leway (like for example oc by no more than 20% and no extra volts or something)

I can understand the cooler thing though, but maybe if they approved a series of coolers that'd help.

I'm just stunned by the fact everythign is so absolute...

...even if they offered ready overclocked Q6600s at 3.0gg for 20 quid more... they can test they are stable etc and I'd be happy to purchase them...

ah well..
    -- MY 2008 RIG --

-- MY 2011 RIG --

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Quote Originally Posted by richieuk View Post

...even if they offered ready overclocked Q6600s at 3.0gg for 20 quid more... they can test they are stable etc and I'd be happy to purchase them...

ah well..
    Why would Intel want to do that? In your world Intel might as well be charging £130 for QX6850s.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

I guess thats true, but you'd thing they'd offer a little leway (like for example oc by no more than 20% and no extra volts or something)

I can understand the cooler thing though, but maybe if they approved a series of coolers that'd help.

I'm just stunned by the fact everythign is so absolute...

ah well..
    I agree ..... and I'd like a McLaren Mercedes CLR Black for the price of a Mondeo too!

Intel do offer a faster chip. You can add about £30 and go for what is effectively a faster Q6600, called the Q6700.

Or you can have the 3.0GHz version (albeit at 1333MHz) ..... if you part with £600.

Let me ask you a question, though. If a 3GHz chip was available at £20 more than the Q6600, how many £600 QX6850's do you think they'd sell?

Odds are, most of the Kentfield quads come of the same production line, and quite possibly out of the same wafers. They certainly used to do that. They'd then quality-test the chips and speed-rate them accordingly .... perhaps down-rating sometimes if market conditions demanded a particular speed and production was limited. So if you like, what they're doing with the really fast variants is cherry-picking those that pass speed tests with the best results.

Do ..... if a QX6850 sells at £600 (inc VAT), and the Q6600 at £117 (Inc VAT), by the time it gets to retail, there a differential in the profit margin of some £400 and change. Intel will be getting a good chunk though by no means all of that. They'd have to sell several Q6600s to make the same margin as a single QX6850.

So look on the bright side. You may want a 3GHz 6600 at £140, but it's the people that do buy the faster models at the much higher prices that are allowing Intel to sell the Q6600 at the price you and I both like. Were it not for those high margin items, we could expect to be paying more for the Q6600.

Intel won't let you clock the 6600 and still offer the warranty because if they did, you'd be getting what people pay five or six times as much for.

If Intel test a chip and it can do, for arguments sake, 3.1GHz and they sell it at 2.4GHz, there's a very small chance that it'll fail at that modest level. But if they rate it at 3GHz, it strains the chip a lot more, generates extra heat and gives a MUCH higher chance that it'll fail, which means a much higher chance of Intel having to honour the warranty .... which is why they charge so much more for it - they take a bigger chance with it.

A lot of what goes on in the chip market is sheer kiddology, marketing hype, as it is in so much of the computer industry.

And, by the way, everything isn't quite as absolute as you think. From what I've heard from Intel, clocking it wouldn't necessarily void the warranty, if for no other reason than it's very unclear how they;d know you had but if they felt that the reason for the chip failing was that it had been clocked, well, can you blame them. If you buy a car, and then replace half the engine with tuned racing parts, don't expect the car manufacturer to replace the engine of you blow it up.

Oh, and that doesn't just apply to our warranty, but also to your statutory rights, which would also be jeopardised if you're clocking the chip. And quite rightly.
    Last edited by PD HEXUS; 24-08-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: typo - Modeo changed to Mondeo

Thanks

Intel may not be interested in doing it (why cannibalise their other productions) but I've seen some e-tailers offering pre-overclocked or 'guaranteed overclock' at extra cost. The practice is rare now, OcUK is the only ones I know in the UK that does it. Some people actually criticised them for doing it. Personally I am not against it, but I find it interesting that there are people who would be interested into such product these days. In practice, it's unlikely that you'll fry a Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz if you install everything with due care.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

If you read the small print on most PC parts it does state that overclocking voids the warranty, so you run the risk if you decide to push it even a little bit. You want more power buy the next chip up so at least you know running at stock speeds you are covered by the manufacturer warranty.

Some of the motherboard manufacturers also say that if a bios flash goes wrong you will void the warranty also. Which is kinda crap but it does put it all down to the user, kind of a do at your own risk but don't come running to us when it goes awry.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

There are two aspects to warranty anyway. When Intel sell you a Q6600 at a certain speed, they gurantee that it will run at that speed at the rated voltage - and if it doesn't, they will replace it, but you can't return it on the grounds that you tried to run it faster, but it wouldn't run at that speed. As for damage, they are saying that if you do run it outside the guranteed parameters, they won't gurantee that you won't cause damage and if it does, it is your fault.

How could they tell? Well it wouldn't be difficult to have an arae of non-volatile RAM (or ROM) on the chip that records the maximum voltage, clock speed and temperatures on the chip, in an area only accessible by non published instructions, or via the test pins. I don't know if Intel do do that, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

In the case of retailers offering "pre-overclocked" computers, they would then be taking the warranty aspects themselves. If the CPU failed, they would (presumably) replace it under the terms of ther warranty, but would have no onwards recourse to Intel.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    How could they tell? Well it wouldn't be difficult to have an arae of non-volatile RAM (or ROM) on the chip that records the maximum voltage, clock speed and temperatures on the chip, in an area only accessible by non published instructions, or via the test pins. I don't know if Intel do do that, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.
    There were rumours of something similar a while back; http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...d=632&Itemid=1

Not sure how reliable the info is, but given the simplicity of doing so from a technical standpoint, it wouldn't be suprising. It would only take a tiny bit of rom space to store 2 or 3 values; max freq/temp/voltage, last freq/temp/voltage etc. Any combo of those would probably be enough to judge if a chip was OC'ed.

Hexus.trombonist
    Thanks
    • Powderhound's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz under a Xigmatek HDT-S1283
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066MHz
      • Storage:
      • 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium, Ubuntu 8.10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T220 22"
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net Broadband Your Way Option 2

How can Intel justify non-stock cooling voiding a warranty when they sell OEM chips with (albeit limited) warranties and no HSF?

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Powderhound View Post
    How can Intel justify non-stock cooling voiding a warranty when they sell OEM chips with (albeit limited) warranties and no HSF?
    Because OEM chips are supposed to go to OEMs, why build systems with them and assume the responsibility for support. That's why they're cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information